SAU Community

Anyone Know Qnx

Chris Rogers

any reason why Nortons Ghost can't fill the task? or even windows backup?

I really depends on what the file system is and whether Ghost supports it.

A quick google brings up this:

http://quics.qnx.com/cgi-bin/dir_find.cgi?.../os/utils/disk/

and this in particular:

http://quics.qnx.com/cgi-bin/print_des.cgi...X_drive_copy.gz

It will require a bit of unix knowledge to understand and get running, but it's a beginning.

the system that this thing is in runs QNX and everything that is attached runs on top of it.

what I need to do is pull this thing - unlock it , dump it and play. I'm working on an alternate image to load back into it on another drive exaclty the same. issue being there WILL be a software difference between the two images. its that difference that I need to compile into a third image so I can test my theory.

ben,

was looking at hd tools to start fiddling with it but considering I only have one copy to start with I'd prefer that someone else imaged this thing. if I lose the data I am literally screwed!

the system that this thing is in runs QNX and everything that is attached runs on top of it.

what I need to do is pull this thing - unlock it , dump it and play. I'm working on an alternate image to load back into it on another drive exaclty the same. issue being there WILL be a software difference between the two images. its that difference that I need to compile into a third image so I can test my theory.

ben,

was looking at hd tools to start fiddling with it but considering I only have one copy to start with I'd prefer that someone else imaged this thing. if I lose the data I am literally screwed!

if an image is all you want to literally duplicate the data, master boot records and all the other information there are a few tools that will duplicate the disk without any risk to the existing disk.

1. Norton Ghost - use a commercial dos based version. Version 7 springs to mind. (My Pick)

2. HDClone 3.2 - need an exact duplicate of the HDD for this one. Or at least last time i used it it wouldn't create an ISO or image, but it was free and did the job quite well.

3. Acronis True Disk Image.

I have used all three and all three have their quirks but can do the job of just duplicating the data so that someone else can have a fiddle. I used all three to image ATM Hard drives in the past quite successfully and Norton if by far my favorite.

I can probably hook you up with a Norton Ghost image, what format is the HDD 2.5, 3.5, SATA, PATA, SATA with a connector like you see on HP and some Compaq's? Need more details.

If no-one else will help you I can pop over with my ATM toolkit and laptop and give it a go. We won't frack the HDD the worst that might happen is that the drive is encrypted and you will need some more serious tools.

You got my number if you need me. I can't help yopu with the code but an image should be all too easy.

Edited by Data Queue

ben,

That's a fair call. I know the principle behind what you need to do, but without actual experience I'm really not willing to put my hand up and say I'll do it considering the nature of it all (And I probably don't have the set up to do it either). I would have a call around a few of the data recovery places to see what they can do. The principle is the same.

Once you get an 1:1 image (especially if created using the unix dd program) you can then mount (load) the image up (in linux or similar) and use it as you would a normal drive rather than using the original, burn images to CD's et al.

Recently one of the hardware guys at work needed to do some data recovery and used these guys http://www.datarecoverylabs.com.au/ (they're local in brisbane) and I believe he said they charged $99/h. Which is damn cheap. If it's worth paying that, I'd be giving them a call, as I can't see why they couldn't do what you needed. They'd also provide a much better guarantee.

I'm not familar with ghost or acronis (beyond knowing they're both good at what they do). Because it's QNX, it's most likely running on QNX's proprietary file system (e.g. Not something either Windows or Linux* typically supports). I can foresee that being an issue with both of the above software, unless they're capable of doing a blind 1:1 copy.

* Though I know you can add support for this FS in linux.

Recently one of the hardware guys at work needed to do some data recovery and used these guys http://www.datarecoverylabs.com.au/ (they're local in brisbane) and I believe he said they charged $99/h. Which is damn cheap. If it's worth paying that, I'd be giving them a call, as I can't see why they couldn't do what you needed. They'd also provide a much better guarantee.

Good point.

Edited by Data Queue