SAU Community

Best Pistons Choice ?

Not sure that's true. ACL make rings for Ross Pistons as well as other big name piston manufactures. Mahle and JE also use Total Seal Ring sets. Different size/application pistons from the same supplier will have rings sourced from different places.

Also Trent - Did you give Performance Wholesale a try for the rings as being Australian distributor of Total Seal Rings they can have almost anything made. Shoot me an email if you are ever stuck again.

Cheers

Marty

Martin your a legend... i did not know that. We use quite a bit of the the Total seal gear and i reckon the 300zx stuff i got for the RB26 trust pistons probably came through you via precision :P

I'm so busy at the shop i usually get the machinist just to add the components to the machining bill to save me chasing it up but of course i pay a premium for my lazyness..... I will drop you an email to save boring you on the phone and see if you can supply me in the future..

i figured out the spacer thickness

just a quick question :

the squirter make a (jet of oil) or (oil mist) , cause i would space and just offset the skirter abit to clear the piston skirt !!!

do i put it to shoot on the outside of the skirt or inside

i'm would go for the inside position !!!(red dot)

squirteroption.jpg

Blue : stock position

Red : option 1

Yellow : option 2

Red dot...just be careful of the rod clearance.

Riken rings are what im using on my JUN (cosworth) pistons in the current engine.

Also Trent - Did you give Performance Wholesale a try for the rings as being Australian distributor of Total Seal Rings they can have almost anything made. Shoot me an email if you are ever stuck again.

Cheers

Marty

These guys got some total seal rings for me a couple of years ago... I had to replace the rings in some arias pistons and they were a strange size... I was really happy with the service and can recommend them, they had to get them custom made (in the US I believe) and shipped and it all took about a fortnight

greg, is that engine also running argo rods :devil:

It sure is Marko, even has a head on it but no sump as yet.. hopefully will have it back tomorrow. The diff is set up, still waiting for the seals from Nissan was the news I got today.

post-8303-1242724498_thumb.jpgpost-8303-1242724557_thumb.jpg

it looks the goods greg on that flow bench!

i cant believe the turnaround on those seals from nissan, they're obviously in no rush

diff seals are overnight...i just ordered and recieved a set...??? Kloster Nissan in Newcastle...overnight from melbourne.

diff seals are overnight...i just ordered and recieved a set...??? Kloster Nissan in Newcastle...overnight from melbourne.

HAHA any nissan part 5mins...... the factory and warehouse is round the corner :devil:

or both :P spent many years as an apprentice at NISSAN :(

Spent some time as a salesman and a sales manager for them myself. Was more in to 4B's in those days, The service boys were great. :devil:

i wish this was the case, its with gregs diff guy...unfortunately out of both of our hands

The diff guy's getting them, not me. Nissan dealer here can be slow at times, usually quite good though. As long as I have a sump back tomorrow I don't mind. There's a reef in QLD waiting for me on Saturday, it's gotta be done before then.

The manifolds don't look the goods though Marko, bolting them up is like doing some "unporting", even with a good cleanup inside.

Anyway... back to pistons...

Did I mention Wiseco's are good?

Not sure that's true. ACL make rings for Ross Pistons as well as other big name piston manufactures. Mahle and JE also use Total Seal Ring sets. Different size/application pistons from the same supplier will have rings sourced from different places.

Cheers

Marty

Yeah Mahle make all the rings that come in ROSS piston sets for the RB engine and ACL also (because they are just a ROSS piston and Mahle own ACL now too) . JE use total seal in some of their applications but not all.

You work for performance wholesale don't you? Check with ROSS when you are back at work.

okay, im getting a rough idea of what pistons are better than others now. but when do you start having to go for the best eg. Jun or Trust??

im aiming at a max of around 350rwkw with a RB25/30. what pistons would be recomended for a power like this?(it will be street driven) JE or CP??

okay, im getting a rough idea of what pistons are better than others now. but when do you start having to go for the best eg. Jun or Trust??

im aiming at a max of around 350rwkw with a RB25/30. what pistons would be recomended for a power like this?(it will be street driven) JE or CP??

Wiseco. they run tight clearances, are quiet, strong, have a skirt coating and excelent rings. You can get a flat top to suit 25/30 that has a 22mm pin as well. I use them quite a bit. The Spool rods can be bored to take a 22mm pin no problem.