SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

Next Thursday will be better for me, I'm not going up this Thursday...

The coilovers turned up too :) I don't think I'm heading to the races so I might head up your way on Saturday. Can we still do all that shit or do you want to leave it for another time?

I have more questions, as always :/

In regard to ethanol and rubber corrosion, have you replaced the rubber hoses in your skyline (I assume ther are some)? How hard is this?

Is the corrosion a concern?

And will the ethanol have any side-effects on the engine? I mean the E85 blend itself...

Yes good to see someone locally having a go .

In one of the threads I posted ages ago it was mentioned that fuel hose standards changed in I think 85 with the arrival of unleaded petrol . I recently changed the fuel hoses and pump in my dinosaur Subaru to be sure and they came out looking ok - if very old . This things been running E10 for months and a bit of E85 tossed in the hole to see what happened . I have no control of fueling in this sputnik and predictably the higher the ethanol ratio goes the more the mixtures leans out all else being equal .

I can't get the Aust Datalogit agent to contact me and until I can buy a Datalogit it's pointless putting E85 in my R33 .

Gary I've been meaning to ask you for ages about that alcohol/water strainer device you were telling me about a while back from the methanol days . Aside from a higher volume capable fuel system keeping water out of the fuel supply is probably the greatest drama .

Guilt toy I hear that E85 can create cold start dramas in very cold conditions , I think in the US they increase the ratio of petrol in "E85" for the winter months .

The tuning should prove very interesting , cheers A .

I have more questions, as always :D

In regard to ethanol and rubber corrosion, have you replaced the rubber hoses in your skyline (I assume ther are some)? How hard is this?

Is the corrosion a concern?

And will the ethanol have any side-effects on the engine? I mean the E85 blend itself...

NO modifications done to the fuel system at all. if anything my 044 has shutup now, probly got the quiets from being drunk :blink:

Yes good to see someone locally having a go .

In one of the threads I posted ages ago it was mentioned that fuel hose standards changed in I think 85 with the arrival of unleaded petrol . I recently changed the fuel hoses and pump in my dinosaur Subaru to be sure and they came out looking ok - if very old . This things been running E10 for months and a bit of E85 tossed in the hole to see what happened . I have no control of fueling in this sputnik and predictably the higher the ethanol ratio goes the more the mixtures leans out all else being equal .

I can't get the Aust Datalogit agent to contact me and until I can buy a Datalogit it's pointless putting E85 in my R33 .

Gary I've been meaning to ask you for ages about that alcohol/water strainer device you were telling me about a while back from the methanol days . Aside from a higher volume capable fuel system keeping water out of the fuel supply is probably the greatest drama .

Guilt toy I hear that E85 can create cold start dramas in very cold conditions , I think in the US they increase the ratio of petrol in "E85" for the winter months .

The tuning should prove very interesting , cheers A .

Disco, if you want to convert your car over let me know.. i can come help you out with it and we can use my datalogit.... i am available in Sydney during the week only. let me know if your interested

UPDATE!!!

50km's done on e85 so far, and i have used a QUARTER of a tank of juice!! that is excessivly high!!!

Yesterday i did some road cruise tuning, and got it to run perfectly now.. i have got it going better on e85 then how it used to cruise on 98 (mainly because i have been lazy as fark)

This morning on cold start, it took 10 cranks before it kicked over, i just held the key on start untill she fired, took about 4 seconds of cranking so its not really a issue....

So yeah i guess i need to try and tune it lean lean lean to get some economy back.. for now i will name the economy.. BAD

I hope this gets a whole lot better, i'm looking at swapping over to this fuel when my rebuild is done. or was going to use F2R's high octane mix, tho its around 3.85 a L for 102...

this seems like a better option if the consumption of your liqured up car slows down..

i think you need to sign him into a AA meeting..

What sort of air/fuel ratios are you running at the moment in light load/cruise mode ? Also have you advanced the ignition time as far as will does any good in these areas ?

How were you driving the thing in those 50 km - just soft pedalling around or give it a few stabs to experiment ?

Cheers A .

PS forgot to add earlier , supply will depend on demand so the more it gets used the better the chance of the other servo mobs stocking it . Economies of scale may effect price too .

Edited by discopotato03

hey mate

driving normally, and giving it stabs as well, got up to 83% injector duty. I am not giving it easy time.. i am driving it harder then i normally would be driving so that might explain the extra consumption.

the ignition timing is set to about 35 - 50 deg on cruise which is pretty high... anymore then 53 and its passing MBT

remember my engine is low low compression. about 8.0 or 8.2:1

If you want to tune your car up let me know and you can come pick me up from my place and we can go to the servo and fill up and tune her up! the more the better!

Another thing i was wondering, would e85 go off as quick as normal fuel ? i wonder how long this fuel has been sitting in there ? the guy at the servo had no idea.

What sort of air/fuel ratios are you running at the moment in light load/cruise mode ? Also have you advanced the ignition time as far as will does any good in these areas ?

How were you driving the thing in those 50 km - just soft pedalling around or give it a few stabs to experiment ?

Cheers A .

PS forgot to add earlier , supply will depend on demand so the more it gets used the better the chance of the other servo mobs stocking it . Economies of scale may effect price too .

Thanks for the offer but I really need my own Datalogit and with luck BMS may have one on its way soon .

The KMON sounds really interesting but one thing at a time .

I think one of the real problems with E85 or any high percentage alcohol blend is its ability to absorb water - mainly from the atmosphere in our cases . I've no idea how well sealed a Skylines fuel vapor system is but it's logical that the longer it sits in the fuel tank the greater the chance of the water content rising .

This could be one area that manufacturers have to change things in order to make E85 compliant cars not act up .

It would be a godsend for E85 users if some device could be fitted that separated water from the alcohol and petrol so its concentration never got out of hand .

In the mean time you may want to use what E85 youve poured in within say a week so it's not there long enough to absorb too much water . I wouldn't be comfortable leaving it there for weeks on end because if it did a phase separation it could get ugly .

Cheers A .

E85 will always have lower economy than petrol, I've heard typical figures around 25-30% less economical than petrol. Plus if you're giving it you'll go through more anyway, the trick will be if the tradeoff is worth it (like LPG is much cheaper than petrol but you use more.. ).

Plus obviously you need bigger injectors to flow enough fuel, if you're already running close to max when using petrol.

Once you've got a happy tune on both fuels then you can do a comparison Anthony, drive it similar on both tanks and see what happens!

went back to the servo, done 70km's on e85 and after having to convince a different Indian man I managed to squeeze 20 litres into the tank !!! 20 litres for 70km's....... ...... :D

filled up a 20 litre drum as well for the dyno on saturday!

anyway got pics.... i hope the freeway economy on the trip to Newcastle tomorrow gets better!

eth1.jpg

eth2.jpg

eth3.jpg

$1.25L i think is high for a fuel made from sugar cane. Doent seem to be cost effective if you are only getting 250km per tank.

I guess with more tuning you could get it down.