SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

wow. your exhaust tips are huge :D

good to know the person behind knows where the battery is located :(

Hehehee yeah :) those tips were on my car when i got it.

love the bowser pic with the car through the hole...top stuff

Yeah not a bad pic, I re-sized them to fit in the thread better

$1.25L i think is high for a fuel made from sugar cane. Doent seem to be cost effective if you are only getting 250km per tank.

I guess with more tuning you could get it down.

we will see, i can run it kinda lean but it starts to miss a little when it goes too lean. I need to play on the dyno and will do 2 tunes, megga lean and normal....

At the end of the day the MAIN reason why i am doing this is because i want to emissions test my car on this stuff, also just to get more exposure out there and learn more about tuning with different fuels etc etc...

I enjoy playing with cars and tuning them for whatever reason so this is also fun !

I have more questions, as always :banana:

In regard to ethanol and rubber corrosion, have you replaced the rubber hoses in your skyline (I assume ther are some)? How hard is this?

Is the corrosion a concern?

And will the ethanol have any side-effects on the engine? I mean the E85 blend itself...

I have been running a 10% ethenol mix in my car (1997 Stagea RB25DET) for about 6 months with no changes to fuel lines etc and no ill effects so far - there is supposed to be corrosion inhibitors included in the fuel. Regarding water absorbtion the Oil Company (Gull in my case) put this forward as a plus saying it will get rid of water from your fuel tank. I haven't suffered any starting problems even on very cold mornings (2 deg C e.g.).

The consensus seems to be that using E10 should not give any problems at all in fact many late model cars we pedal at work say E10 compliant or similar inside the fuel filler flap .

I think replacing rubber fuel lines is a must if you don't want to have problems with slightly older vehicles .

My finding is that not all E10 is the same and that the suff sold by the larger mobs feels like it's low octane rubbish .

The juice my dinosaur Subie lives on is the ultra level E10 meaning supposedly 96 octane - will find out which type of servo it is later .

I think it's possible to have a win in later cars with self learning computers , turbo cars often run rich anyway and the slight leaning should be a good thing . If detonation is down also a bonus .

My Subaru (early 85 RX-T) is not that smart - it doesn't mind 96 E10 and my pocket def doesn't mind 10-15 cents less per liter than name brand 96 ULP .

Cheers A .

yeh i added heaps to the cold start in winter, now its warming up i've got it back to near std settings, except 10+ i think i have that on about 40,

dont stress too much about how much your useing until you've finished playing, mine was bad too, but settled down when my driving went back to normal ( what ever that is ) i've found it uses less if i tune it on the lean side and let the feedback richen it up to lambda, idles smoother too, the feedback is hopeless when it has to take out fuel!!!would pop and fart,

have you noticed how little throttle you need to use at light load? or how much sooner the turbo spools?

anyone worried about how much more they use probabley shouldnt bother, I only use it because i can get it easy ( drive past the servo anyway ) but the main reason is the RON that is it!

Re: problems with ethanol and fuel lines, the story i heard is that it cleans up your fuel system so its worth doing an extra filter change after you've run it for a while.

Re: economy, isnt stochiometric for E85 close to 10? so you'd expect economy to be about 270km from a tank instead of 400 if you're using closed loop control.

okay i made it to Newcastle.. Gauge was sitting at pretty much at full when i left...

I get to the freeway and it was chockas!! so i jump on the old pac all for a bit...

Cruisin on my street tune...

1547.JPG

1552.JPG

Get to 101km's on the tank so far....

101km.JPG

Still a quarter left!!

Get up to 129km's and still going strong!!!

129km.JPG

laptopshot1.JPG

So i decide to lean off the mixture a bit, so i lean her off and she seems to run normal....

1617.JPG

Okay then.. lets go some more !

1734.JPG

INTERESTING, it seemed to run fine!!! the EGT's were still showing normal numbers...

thermocpl.JPG

Okay then.. MORE!!!

1831.JPG

Still going strong, but sounds like (out the exaust only) its missing a little.. but cannot feel it in the engine, only sound out the exaust only.

Okay..

.... LEANER.. GIVE ME LESS ETHANOL

1932.JPG

19.32 AFR AND STILL CRUISING STRONG.

I did go one more, was running 21 AFR on the freeway and it was popping out the exaust....

By the time i get home... I have done 182km's.....

so how much e85 left in the tank ??

.... ... :P

182km.JPG

HALF A TANK LEFT!!! I was running at 14.7 afr (Gasoline converted stoich) for the whole trip except for those little tests and she used half a tank on 183km's....

Soooo.. thats 366km's to a tank!!!! Considering i was getting anywhere from 400 - 450 with BP ultimate I don't think she is doing tooo bad!

I wonder how she will go with the AFR set at 18 or 19 the whole way... more testing needs to be done!

But for now I will be tuning the car in the morning for emissions and worry about the emissions test!

Maybe the e85 economy aint THAT bad after all :D

I dunno man.. im going to make 3 tunes for the test, about stoich (little richer then) then a stoich tune then a really lean tune.. il ask the guys if they will let me go 3 times.. they should let me as they seemed to be interested in helping last time i was there.. im sure if i explain to them what i am doing they might be more interested in the results then I am :P

My car can run on 15.5 AFR on cruise with BP ultimate with no issues.. so I can definatly run the car lean with e85...

Nice!

Do you think you can make it pass emissions with this lean tune ?

When extrapolating the potential range on your car I see you've assumed the bottom half of the tank will give the same range as the top half of the tank i.e. klm's travelled on top half x 2.

Is this a fair assumption...I don't know because I don't own a Skyline. But in all the cars I've ever owned, the bottom half of the tank never gave the same range as the top half?

Just curious.