SAU Community

Suspension Question

t0rpy

Hey guys, this might seem like a silly question but i'll ask anyway as thats what forums are for! :)

i was wondering in regards to coilover install on the rear of the V35 coupe.

i noticed the spring is separate from the strut (so not a coilover set up standard).

so does this mean that the rear 350z coilovers will not fit?

or does the strut get replaced by the coilover set up? if so what happens with the old standard spring? (do you leave it out or do you need to install a soft spring instead?).

i was just wondering as pictures of 350z coilovers (out of the car) seem to have the 4 coilovers with no extra springs etc..

any help would be appreaciated (I've tried looking).

thanks in advance.

kari

Edited by t0rpy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

350z and V35 skyline are the same set of Suspension just different rate dampener and spring Rate.

There should be a spring with the 350z Coilovers. Front spring is in the shocks and the rear is seperate from the shocks.

i was just wondering as pictures of 350z coilovers (out of the car) seem to have the 4 coilovers with no extra springs etc..

Some retailers are too lazy to use pics of the actual product, so they use stock photos. This is what the rear suspension on a Z33 looks like:

20041209_koni_01.jpg

That should be practically identical to a V35.

There's only one kit I know of that converts the rear end to a coilover setup, but it also replaces a whole bunch of other stuff as the geometry and loads are so different on the components.

Edited by scathing

• 7 months later...
Some retailers are too lazy to use pics of the actual product, so they use stock photos. This is what the rear suspension on a Z33 looks like:

20041209_koni_01.jpg

That should be practically identical to a V35.

There's only one kit I know of that converts the rear end to a coilover setup, but it also replaces a whole bunch of other stuff as the geometry and loads are so different on the components.

So if 350Z suspension is identical to our V35 does this coilover worth buying?

GREDDY PERFORMANCE DAMPER TYPE-S

• 32 LEVEL DAMPING FORCE (COMPRESSION & REBOUND TOGETHER)
  • MONOTUBE STRUCTURE
  • ADJUSTABLE PILLOW BALL UPPER MOUNTS
  • REINFORCED RUBBER UPPER MOUNTS
  • ALUMINIUM BRACKETS
  • DURABLE LIGHTWEIGHT SPRINGS
  • EXTENDED CONTROL CABLE

PRICE: $1,990.00 (PER SET)

or maybe just change the spring, this one designed for 350Z!

GREDDY SPRINGS

TECH PROGRESSIVE RATE LOWERED

PRICE: $390.00 (SET OF 4)

The Greddy system is ok. Their coilovers are oem supplied by BC Racing from Taiwan and they also make their own range (called BC racing lol). I was also considering this set for my car.. The extended control cables for the rear damper/rebound setting would be quite handy as i don't think other sets come with it for adjustment at rear.

I had BC coilovers on my previous car and they're very good value for money. The current BR range from BC racing are getting compared favourably to tein type flex systems.

Though being greddy and paying 2k, i'd rather spend a few hundred more and get cusco.

No idea on the greddy springs though!

Oh one thing, the set is for 350z so it will drop your ride an additional 1/2" if coupe or 1" if sedan..it will be borderline as to whether you need rear camber arms, front adjustable a arms etc.

So if 350Z suspension is identical to our V35 does this coilover worth buying?

GREDDY PERFORMANCE DAMPER TYPE-S

• 32 LEVEL DAMPING FORCE (COMPRESSION & REBOUND TOGETHER)
  • MONOTUBE STRUCTURE
  • ADJUSTABLE PILLOW BALL UPPER MOUNTS
  • REINFORCED RUBBER UPPER MOUNTS
  • ALUMINIUM BRACKETS
  • DURABLE LIGHTWEIGHT SPRINGS
  • EXTENDED CONTROL CABLE

PRICE: $1,990.00 (PER SET)

or maybe just change the spring, this one designed for 350Z!

GREDDY SPRINGS

TECH PROGRESSIVE RATE LOWERED

PRICE: $390.00 (SET OF 4)

Firstly what is it you want out of the coilovers? So far my research has led me to believe:

If you're after the height adjustability and a Dailly Driver only (no track) then you can't go past Bilstein PSS10

If you are going to track the vehicle and have it as a DD as well then Cusco zero 2 or HKS Hipermax III (non sport)

If you want to track the vehicle with the least amount of compromise between track and road then Ohlins DFV as the best (and most expensive) option.

Of course there are options like Moton & Penske but they are usually out of the league of most mortals and overkill for a daily driver.

a good read, check out the "to buy" list:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

some outdated info but a good reference:

http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspens...-w-updates.html

Some reasons why these vehicles should maintain the OEM rear setup when purchasing kits:

http://splparts.com/main4/parts/Z33/Suspen...CoiloverFAQ.htm

Edited by mosoto

As for the HD setup, they are cheap twin tube which generally means poor performing.

Aim for monotube unless you are prepared to pay big bucks for a quality twin tube design.

Mosoto got it right. Once you've determined what you want out of the car and suspension, then shop for options.

Though i wouldn't discount cheap priced coilovers simply because of the design etc. I think most V drivers aren't after hardcore, rather a cost effective upgrade for mostly street work.

Great info there, especially on the first link.. i love when he says, something like 'other than ...., CRAP!'

hrm... really like to have a chance to actually sit in a car with bilstein coilovers and then compare to the feelings inside a tein super street (which i had)..

Firstly what is it you want out of the coilovers? So far my research has led me to believe:

If you're after the height adjustability and a Dailly Driver only (no track) then you can't go past Bilstein PSS10

If you are going to track the vehicle and have it as a DD as well then Cusco zero 2 or HKS Hipermax III (non sport)

If you want to track the vehicle with the least amount of compromise between track and road then Ohlins DFV as the best (and most expensive) option.

Of course there are options like Moton & Penske but they are usually out of the league of most mortals and overkill for a daily driver.

a good read, check out the "to buy" list:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

some outdated info but a good reference:

http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspens...-w-updates.html

Some reasons why these vehicles should maintain the OEM rear setup when purchasing kits:

http://splparts.com/main4/parts/Z33/Suspen...CoiloverFAQ.htm

From what I've read so far (not experienced) cheaper coilovers will generally have poor and inconsistant valving/damping and spring rates which usually adds up to either a bouncy or harsh ride. Due to inconsistancies one corner of the car will react differently to the other, most of us wouldn't tell the difference but why compromise with a vehicle we are all paying good money for!!!!

The extended control cables for the rear damper/rebound setting would be quite handy as i don't think other sets come with it for adjustment at rear.

Not entirely true. There are a lot of coilovers that are rate adjustable in the rear for our cars, but you need to pull the strut out to get to the adjustment knob (i.e. f**k that). For all intents and purposes, its non-adjustable unless you want to cut holes in things or spend time pulling your suspension out.

My Koni Yellow dampers had the adjustment control on the side of the damper. You had to jack the car up a bit so you could get your arm between the tyre and guard and shift it with an allen key. Not an ideal solution, but better than pulling the strut out. As a damper I loved their performance (I had them with stock Z33 springs), though.

The reason I ended up getting Tein Flex for the Z was to get EDFC. I wanted the Tanabe Sustec Pro Sevens, since their electronic controller is speed sensitive (and I like gadgets), but they were US only and would have cost me an arm and a leg. I am pretty sure there are one or two other suspension makers that do electronic controllers these days.

Anyone had dealing with this place or a review of the product?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Coilovers-Nissan-35...93%3A3|294%3A50

front 15kg/mm, rear 9kg/mm, if according to hsd's figure (hopefully it's similar), tat will end up with front 840lb/in rear 504lb/in, which stock(coupe, i assume u hving?) is front 314 rear 342.. wont that be quite uncomfy? i thought it should b as close as possible to those number for a 'close' feel to stock ride..

pls, anyone can correct me if i understand them wrongly..

Not entirely true. There are a lot of coilovers that are rate adjustable in the rear for our cars, but you need to pull the strut out to get to the adjustment knob (i.e. f**k that). For all intents and purposes, its non-adjustable unless you want to cut holes in things or spend time pulling your suspension out.

My Koni Yellow dampers had the adjustment control on the side of the damper. You had to jack the car up a bit so you could get your arm between the tyre and guard and shift it with an allen key. Not an ideal solution, but better than pulling the strut out. As a damper I loved their performance (I had them with stock Z33 springs), though.

The reason I ended up getting Tein Flex for the Z was to get EDFC. I wanted the Tanabe Sustec Pro Sevens, since their electronic controller is speed sensitive (and I like gadgets), but they were US only and would have cost me an arm and a leg. I am pretty sure there are one or two other suspension makers that do electronic controllers these days.

That's exactly what i meant Scathing lol. Was too lazy to type many words haha.

Yep, F that.. easy access FTW!

Front 15kg and rear 9kg is WAY TOO harsh for our roads. It'd even be too heavy for track work.. (Aussie tracks are quite bumpy compared to top class tracks). Plus the photos of them really do look dodge lol..

Front 15kg and rear 9kg is WAY TOO harsh for our roads.

I'm running 12kg front and rear on my Flex, and I can't say I'm liking it. It's "livable" for a serious sports driving enthusiast, but I don't think that it would suit the grand touring nature of a V35.

I also don't understand why they run such a relatively soft rear spring. The OEM springs are stiffer in the rear because the suspension design has the springs mounted slightly inboard. Bilstein keeps the rate rear-biased, and most other aftermarket coilover kits either equalise the rates or do a slight front bias. However, we're talking a 12kg/10kg and not 15/9.

It's not like the FM platform cars are particularly tail happy. Unless they're making up for it in the damper bound all I see is an already-understeering car being even more understeery.

but mosoto just say spring rate means nothing, unless taking into consideration of damping.. how can we get damping rate for these aftermarket coilovers? i don see them in bilstein site too?

from Alan's response of 'tein flex is for serious sport driving enthusiast', i think tein flex is not my choice then.. i wan comfy everyday ride

Recently spoke with Jose of Wholesale suspension in blacktown branch.

In the beginning I am tring to get a set of Koni yellow shocks, and find out that it is really expensive compare other Koni models, about 1200 just for shocks. plus springs and installation. As Jose avised that Koni yellow is really good in qualities and performance, just why pay 40% more for it. He reco the BC Racing coilovers brought in by their company. Made in taiwan. OEM for Greddy. Good qualities for that price ( Under $1400).

Jose also said when his company bring the BC racing in, in order to make it fit aus road, the spring has been change to 8kg/6kg F/R and revalued. That will fit more for 350z/v35 for most daily drive.

I guess they got good point, people chasing the cheap coilovers much looking for something for their daily drive where BC ones get into it.

I book the workshop this weekend. Hope it works well for me.

Cheers.

Frank

BTW. This is what is looks like.

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=...t%3D18%26um%3D1