SAU Community

Starting Issues R34 Gtt

KURTIS34

HI All ,

my car is a r34 GTT

hopefully you guys will be able to provide some insight to this issue for me.

ok i went to the shops before car started fine with no issues drove fine no issues.

but when i came back from getting some milk unlocked my car , turned the key nothing at all could hear the fuel , no starter motor nosie , no clicks , ticks motor not turning over?

all electronics are working battery is only a week and abit old , i also tried to jump starting it , no luck :)

thought possible my immobilizer was not disengaging , but i was able to push start it with no issues.

able to drive home car was running good. i went to try to start it again after i got home , NO LUCK same thing again turn the key nothing but the electronics and fuel ?

any help or ideas would be great

thank you kurtis

A common problem amongst old car's is that the starter motor doesnt work when engine is hot.

"he heat generated in the starter by the engine and the exhaust pipes (sometimes) causes the armature to expand. If the bearings are worn then the armature drags (actually contacts) on the stator causing a short circuit and a high friction drag. Sometimes just replacing the bearings can fix the problem. "

Although your car is quite new, im having doubts that it could be the starter motor?

See if the problem only occurs once the engine is hot? Best to take down to an auto electrician and ask for a free alternator/starter motor/battery check-up. :ninja:

• 10 years later...
On 10/30/2008 at 11:22 PM, KURTIS34 said:

HI All ,

my car is a r34 GTT

hopefully you guys will be able to provide some insight to this issue for me.

ok i went to the shops before car started fine with no issues drove fine no issues.

but when i came back from getting some milk unlocked my car , turned the key nothing at all could hear the fuel , no starter motor nosie , no clicks , ticks motor not turning over?

all electronics are working battery is only a week and abit old , i also tried to jump starting it , no luck :)

thought possible my immobilizer was not disengaging , but i was able to push start it with no issues.

able to drive home car was running good. i went to try to start it again after i got home , NO LUCK same thing again turn the key nothing but the electronics and fuel ?

any help or ideas would be great

thank you kurtis

Was this ever resolved? I am having the exact same issue in my r34 gt right now.. I drove it perfect this morning to the shops. Got back in and nothing when I turned the key. 

Try to start it with a 50c piece direct onto the solenoid terminal from the main cable (at the starter motor itself).  If it will crank there, then you have a problem with wiring between there and the ignition switch.  If it won't, give it a whack with a soft face hammer or a lump of wood and see if it will crank after that.  If it will, then the solenoid is sticky, which probably means full of clutch dust, but it could just be warm.  Finally, they can get grumpy when hot, when they get old.  If it works when it cools down, then there's your answer.