SAU Community

Psi Parts Project Car Log

The clutch install. We chose the the Nismo Super Coppermix Twin Plate (Competition Spec) because of its racing heritage and its acclaimed softer pedal feel compared to other twin plates. Although a strong single could have been built for around the same price, we decided that a stronger twin plate should be able to cope with a little more abuse for what the engine will eventually put out. Once the clutch was installed it took a little getting used to driving, with the main problem being that I didn't give enough revs. As the plate bites nice and hard it will stall the engine quite quickly. The lightened flywheel is also a welcome addition, as the reduced weight will help in the lower rev range, however the other often overlooked advantage is that the material chosen for the flywheel is crucial to the biting of the clutch plate, get these two materials wrong and your clutch will be working harder than it has to.

clutch4.jpg

clutch1.jpg

clutch2.jpg

clutch3.jpg

clutch5.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it begins....

The engine is out and the block stripped down, with the clearances being checked and the machining being done. The parts will start to arrive soon and we can slowly piece together the car making sure everything is right for when it hits the track. Therefore the suspension will be tweaked and maybe even a half cage put in.

Here are few pics of the engine coming out.

EngineOut-1.jpg

EngineOut-2.jpg

EngineOut-3.jpg

EngineOut-4.jpg

EngineOut-5.jpg

EngineOut-6.jpg

EngineOut-7.jpg

EngineOut-8.jpg

EngineOut-9.jpg

EngineOut-10.jpg

EngineOut-11.jpg

We took the gearbox out to have a look at it since the last track day caused 3rd gear to crunch, I thought it might be a synchro problem, then we drained the box and heard a few "clunks" into the pan, picked up the magnetic drain plug and this is what we saw...

EngineOut-12.jpg

Looks like an excuse for a strengthened gearset.

• 1 month later...

As I know a few people are keen on doing their own engine build, I thought I would post up the price of the different items required for the build. These are pretty much on par with what I have paid, however there will always be exceptions to the rule when it comes to preferred brands, specs and of course how much you want to actually change. As I have stated before this build is not designed for all out power, but rather a very reliable circuit orientated build.

ARP Head Studs - $150.00

ARP Main Studs - $375.00

CP Pistons (Custom Made 9.5:1) - $1,000.00

Nissan Gasket Kit - $200.00

ACL Race Series Main Bearings - $100.00

ACL Race Series Big End/Rod Bearings - $100.00

Tomei Head Gasket 1.2mm - $318.00

Tomei Valve Springs Type B - $430.00

Tomei Oil Gallery Orrifice - $6.00

Nissan N1 Oil Pump - $345.00

Nissan N1 Water Pump - $415.00

JUN Oil Pump Crank Collar - $175.00

GReddy Magnetic Oil Plug - $20.00

Spool Conrods - $695.00

Ross Harmonic Nexus Balancer - $540.00

Tial 38mm MVS Wastegate (x2) - $400.00

Full Race TS Exhaust Manifold - $2,200.00

Garrett GT35R (1.06/.70) TS Polished, V Band, T4 - $1,500.00

(or the BorgWarner S200SX 75 - 70 1.15AR, which is around $900)

Machining & Labour - $4,000.00

Catalytic Converter - $300.00

Engine Total $14,169.00

Obviously this does not include all of the parts already included like the fuel system, throttle body, plenum, braided lines, coil pack, etc. Which adds another 5k or so to the price tag. As you can see this is a pretty costly procedure so you will want to keep the car for a while or have very deep pockets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been pretty slack updating this thread, so here are a few more pics.

Whilst the engine was getting built, I decided the engine bay could do with some fresh paint to match the rest of the cars cleanliness.

We are waiting on the High Energy Circuit Pro Sump to be built and then the engine will be put back into the car along with the freshly built gearbox.

engine%20block.jpg

paint01.jpg

paint02.jpg

paint03.jpg

paint04.jpg

paint05.jpg

Next on the list is the new intercooler piping, oil cooler and plumbing, and twin waste-gate/manifold piping.

Still deciding on a pod filter with a shroud, or a ARC panel filter set-up.

• 1 month later...

Cheers mate :D

Well a picture tells a thousand words, so here are a few of the engine when we did the first dummy fit to see if the turbo and manifold were going to fit OK.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

And a few of the engine out putting everything on before it goes back in. I LOVE the manifold :wub:

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg