SAU Community

Help!engine Light Indicator Comes On R34 Gtt!

sbpin

Hey guys,

I bought my r34 gtt not long ago and recently engine light suddenly came while driving followed by the TCS light! It then follows with what it seems like engine shaking/rattling. I consulted a mechanic and he said it might be the computer or the cam angle sensor.

However, when i purchased the car, the ignition coil packs where changed by the seller when the roadworthy was done. From the past topics I've looked up, members say it could also be dodgy coilpacks installed into the car causing the engine to misfire etc.

I just wanted to get a second opinion from anyone who knows their stuff or faced these kinda problems before since my mechanic says something else and members on this forums have their own diagnostics as well. Or does anyone knows a mechanic who's able to fix these sort of stuff? I've already called a few workshops and they said they couldnt help cos they do not have the computer to diagnose the car's system.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys

it would save you alot of time and hassel if you can get a diagnostic tool to read the ECU codes. where abouts in queensland are you? there are a few workshops around with the diagnostic tools, nissan themselves should be able to help you out, as well as a few members on here that have the consult software.

i don't know how my mechanic did it but he said he got an error code 21 (he used two ends of a pin to the data link connector) which i dont really understand as well since i'm pretty new to all this. I'm staying in central brisbane, any recommendations of mechanics who can help me out with this?I would still like to get a second opinion. Thanks alot for the help!

What this guys said!!!! Plus splitfires will give you an extra trillion rwkw :P

21 = coil packs, seller = full of shit or changed them with more shit factory coil packs. Splitfire are the only good choice.

thanks alot for the help guys! appreciate it! will prob try to change the coilpacks first..will let you guys know what happens then. Btw, any difference between the JJR coilpacks and Splitfires? JJR's are cheaper and was wonderin if it's as effective as the SF, might as well go for the JJR's! :D

Hi guys, I thought i post an update of what was happening to my car after I had new coilpacks installed. I bought a set of new JJR coilpacks off Just Jap for $399 and got my mechanic to install it and since then the engine & TCS light has never came on. Upon having the new coils installed, the car feels like its abit more powerful and has much smoother gear transition.

The reason why I choose JJR's over Splitfire's is because my car is a stock 34GTT and I see no reason why I should buy Splitfire's unless you're planning to add more horses to the car which I wont be doing. I'm sure Splitfire's are good as well but unless you're planning to keep your car long term then I'd probably stick with JJR's which are a cheaper alternative but then again what you get it what you pay for. Just wanted to thank those guys who gave their opinions which helped me solve this problem! :O

Hi guys, I thought i post an update of what was happening to my car after I had new coilpacks installed. I bought a set of new JJR coilpacks off Just Jap for $399 and got my mechanic to install it and since then the engine & TCS light has never came on. Upon having the new coils installed, the car feels like its abit more powerful and has much smoother gear transition.

The reason why I choose JJR's over Splitfire's is because my car is a stock 34GTT and I see no reason why I should buy Splitfire's unless you're planning to add more horses to the car which I wont be doing. I'm sure Splitfire's are good as well but unless you're planning to keep your car long term then I'd probably stick with JJR's which are a cheaper alternative but then again what you get it what you pay for. Just wanted to thank those guys who gave their opinions which helped me solve this problem! :O

But split fires are just like $100 dollars more and you get such a better product, let me tell you from experience if a $100 dollars matters to you sell ur car straight away

• 1 month later...

Guys I have this problem as well. I got my 25GT two weeks ago and the engine oil light, TCS light and the Slip light come out. just want to know where can fix this problem and around wt price. I am in brisbane area

Guys I have this problem as well. I got my 25GT two weeks ago and the engine oil light, TCS light and the Slip light come out. just want to know where can fix this problem and around wt price. I am in brisbane area

That'll be the check engine light, not the oil light. As mentioned above, super-common R34 fault, get some splitfire coil packs and have them installed. ~$500 for the splitfires and should only be $100 to fit at the very most.

• 1 year later...

That's very interesting. I'm experiencing the same problem on my R34 and i was thinking of changing the oxygen sensor, but i've noticed that's there's not much change in revs on idle. So i think installing some splitfire coilpacks might be a more likely sollution. So cheers for that info. Probs not a bad idea to get the sensor replaced anyways, i don't think it would have been changed in it's 100,000km life. Also thinking of installing a new computer, pod filter, intercooler and rest of the exhaust, rims, suspension and then getting it tuned. It's all stock, all it's had is a cat back exhaust installed.

Any advise on what i should do first or what order to install these?

Thanks!

Ive had this as well, it happens when i turn the car on sometimes. May do it for a few days in a row then nothing for a few weeks but my engine light has never come on, only the slip and tcs....

Now where im puzzled is that every person seems to tell you a different story! Which aint that great if your gonna pay someone to go searching for it.

Some say coil packs, then others say that wont make any difference. Several sensors 'can't remember them atm' lol could be to blame, but yet still no concrete answer.

:(

The reason why I choose JJR's over Splitfire's is because my car is a stock 34GTT and I see no reason why I should buy Splitfire's unless you're planning to add more horses to the car which I wont be doing. I'm sure Splitfire's are good as well but unless you're planning to keep your car long term then I'd probably stick with JJR's which are a cheaper alternative but then again what you get it what you pay for. Just wanted to thank those guys who gave their opinions which helped me solve this problem! :(

lol obviously didn't read the jjr vs splitfire thread with all the people with JJRs getting failures after a year

Ive had this as well, it happens when i turn the car on sometimes. May do it for a few days in a row then nothing for a few weeks but my engine light has never come on, only the slip and tcs....

Now where im puzzled is that every person seems to tell you a different story! Which aint that great if your gonna pay someone to go searching for it.

Some say coil packs, then others say that wont make any difference. Several sensors 'can't remember them atm' lol could be to blame, but yet still no concrete answer.

:(

That's why the first step is to pull the codes from the computer using a paperclip. Error 21 = 10000% coil packs, any other error number and you need to check the related sensor/actuator that it refers to.

Just the TCS and SLIP light showing relates to a fault in the TCS system, normally something to do with the throttle motor

Fixing things without knowing what part you should be changing is a bit pointless

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing similar problems. Engine light is on all the time now and my r34 shutters while driving. I got the error code from the computer and it is error number 55 = NO MALFUNCTION ................ any ideas on what this could be. It is a completely standard R34.

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing similar problems. Engine light is on all the time now and my r34 shutters while driving. I got the error code from the computer and it is error number 55 = NO MALFUNCTION ................ any ideas on what this could be. It is a completely standard R34.

Something isn't right there, for the CEL to be activated it has to be linked to a failure code. The only way to keep reading 55 'no code' is if when the car is turned off it cuts power to the ECU and resets every time. So when you pull the code it isn't retained correctly.