SAU Community

Help!engine Light Indicator Comes On R34 Gtt!

sbpin

That's why the first step is to pull the codes from the computer using a paperclip. Error 21 = 10000% coil packs, any other error number and you need to check the related sensor/actuator that it refers to.

Just the TCS and SLIP light showing relates to a fault in the TCS system, normally something to do with the throttle motor

Fixing things without knowing what part you should be changing is a bit pointless

Hello everyone !!

Same thing happand to me but other way !!

When i got the car it was runing on HKS Fcon V-pro, as soon i took it out and first time turned on with standard ecu right away  check engine , traction control light and SLIP light came on ! after wile i put Power FC , managed to shut down check engine but rest two lights are all the time on ?

Any ideas in that case what happand?

Thx 

P.S car is runing on splitfires

Edited by avoiee

Hi guys!.

I have been reading this topic in hope for an explanation to my small problem but none are quite the same and I am really hoping an expert can come to my rescue!

Perhaps, as listed above the problem is the coilpacks but like Dan said, its useless replacing a part unless u know what the problem is. I live in a remote area which means NISSAN is probably my best bet for a computer for the error codes which will be $$$ so I thought I'd run it past you first.

My problem consists of the Engine light only, with no bad smells or shaky engine no matter how I treat the car.

The engine light will appear at random but never at start up. For the majority of the time the engine light will not appear until after about 30-40min of driving.

I own an R34 GT 4spd Auto.

The only thing I can think of is at its last service, the "Motorsports" service center I take it to, filled the oil up quite high on the dipstick (even at cold) and I am wondering if there is some form of sensor that could get tripped when the oil expands?

Never the less I will drain a little tomorrow.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to a response as I hope to sell this car in the near future. I will however do whatever it takes to fix it up as best I can first!

Easiest way to get the code is to run the diagnostic yourself, takes a whole <1 minute and a paperclip (or similar bit of wire)

Diagnostic Link

Hi guys!.

I have been reading this topic in hope for an explanation to my small problem but none are quite the same and I am really hoping an expert can come to my rescue!

Perhaps, as listed above the problem is the coilpacks but like Dan said, its useless replacing a part unless u know what the problem is. I live in a remote area which means NISSAN is probably my best bet for a computer for the error codes which will be $$$ so I thought I'd run it past you first.

My problem consists of the Engine light only, with no bad smells or shaky engine no matter how I treat the car.

The engine light will appear at random but never at start up. For the majority of the time the engine light will not appear until after about 30-40min of driving.

I own an R34 GT 4spd Auto.

The only thing I can think of is at its last service, the "Motorsports" service center I take it to, filled the oil up quite high on the dipstick (even at cold) and I am wondering if there is some form of sensor that could get tripped when the oil expands?

Never the less I will drain a little tomorrow.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to a response as I hope to sell this car in the near future. I will however do whatever it takes to fix it up as best I can first!

Thanks for your quick reply Dan.

I just went out into the cold and tried the above.

I short the two connections for +2secs when ignition is on, and the Engine light disapears and then returns to blink twice, followed by a shorter blink, then repeats this over and over. The tutorial says that it will indicate with "DTC 55" but I cant see this happening with any numbers or DTC, just the engine light blinking.

When I go on to the Oxy Sensor, and start the engine, the Engine light appears straight away and stays on.

Sorry if I am missing something but I don't know how to record the results. Any Ideas?

Thanks again

Blink twice = 2 short blink = 1...so error 21, your coil packs are on the way out.

It will only indicate 55 if there is no problem (ie 5 blinks, then 5 short blinks)

Ah ok. Well thanks heaps. I guess this means I won't bother with the oil change. I'll book the car in now I guess.

Bit of a pain considering I'm selling it but I guess the next person will be getting a little extra!

Thanks heaps for the help.

$500 Splitfire coils

$100 Install

I'll see what the workshop quotes me lol.

Thanks again,

Gus.

Took it in and made a booking.

Mechanic said it is definitely not the coil packs. Apparently I would be experiencing lots of missfire's etc and would know about it.

Showed him the error results and he said he would trace out that particular circuit when it comes in.

Either way, I guess I am in for an expensive ride... :-(

Mechanic said it is definitely not the coil packs. Apparently I would be experiencing lots of missfire's etc and would know about it.

Showed him the error results and he said he would trace out that particular circuit when it comes in.

If you got error code 21, it is def COILPACKS........

They are a piece of piss to replace yourself, i wouldn't bother paying someone $100 to get them installed.....

RED FLAG!!! Get a new mechanic, if he's questioning error 21 he has no place touching your car. Trust me, I've had R34's for over 8 years now, the diagnostic system doesn't lie.

+1 for having error code 21 that was instantly and easily fixed by installing splitfires - happened pretty much after i got the car in '06 and never had ignition issues since. Splitfires all the way, don't bother with any of the other alternatives.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I just serviced my r34 gtt today (engine oil and oil filter 95,000ks on the clock) and when i started her up the Traction Control, Slip and Engine light all come on. I may have put a little too much engine oil could this be the cause. Any help be appreciated.

Would it be my coils?

Hi guys,

I just serviced my r34 gtt today (engine oil and oil filter 95,000ks on the clock) and when i started her up the Traction Control, Slip and Engine light all come on. I may have put a little too much engine oil could this be the cause. Any help be appreciated.

Would it be my coils?

As above, don't get us to guess via the interwebs, run the diagnostic procedure posted above for a DEFINATE answer.

Just wanted to say big thanks to Dan for helping me out diagnosing my problem with my car. Saved me $110...!! Anywhos, Turns out i have error code 21. Prob my coils giving up or sparkies or both ==

Anywhos, I was initially go into a workshop to have the diagnostic done, however reading on here i discovered there was an easier and cheaper way! yes it takes approx 2min or so! (For a R34 gtt). Its very easy to undergo! if i can do it, u can! The workshops quoted around the $80 to $150 for them to hook up car to Nissan software and examine for the area of problem.

The main area where i had the problem was.... where was the actual Consult Interface on the R34 GTT located?? Answer, thanks to Dan. It is actually located to the left (few cms) from the bonnet release leaver (prob where ya right knee is). Please see picture below. After that i followed the Self Diagnostic System (you can download in above post). I didn't have a paper clip so i used my gf bobby pin thing. Put the two pins into the ING and CHK for 2 seconds, released it then looked at my MIL light, which is the engine light on your dash. It will start blinking displaying all your errors and repeat them over n over so do pay attention (write down piece of paper if you must).

Location of Consult Interface Plug For 98 R34 GTT

post-22350-1285669068_thumb.jpg Just pull out the mini compartment to access the Consult interface plug, like so in the picture!.

Examples how codes will be displayed

Eg. Error code 21 = 2 long slow flashes/slight pause/ 1 fast flash (then it will pause, then repeat the sequence)

For two or more errors it will display one after the other then repeat again. (so do pay attention).

Eg. Error code 21 and 22 = 2 long slow flashes/ slight pause/ 1 fast flash../Pause/...2 long flashes/ slight pause/ 2 fast flashes then the whole sequence error codes will repeat

For 3 digit error codes aka the auto trans ones.

Eg error code 112 = slow flash (x11) / slight pause/ 1 fast flash (would be a pain to read if you also had multiple errors lol)

After i gathered the codes, i erased self diagnostic mode by putting the two pins into the ING and CHK for 2 seconds den removing them.

If counting flashes ain't really your thing you can purchase usb plugs to connect to Consult interface and read the errors on your laptop and you can download the software for this. From research cost around $100-$200 mark or course take it out to the workshop which has the Nissan software setup.

Just wanted say big thanks to you guys on here and those replying to my PM's providing your me with your help! =)

Update.

Yellow Jackets Coil packs arrived, fitted...

Results: TCS, SLIP, ENGINE LIGHTS all Disappeared!!

Did Self Diagnostic code 55 :D

Also, car feels more smoother and a lil faster. =)

Thanks all!!!

BiNgO bAnGo!

• 5 years later...

Same as me.I own r34 gtt tiptronic.when I start my car,nothing happen..but after 1 minutes,check engine appear,after that TCS and slip appear.what should I do? Engine run smooth as always.but I am worried about that signal.worry if that problem could harm my engine.help me Dan...

• Like 1

Amazing thread dig. Those lights come on for many many reasons and the easiest way is to get someone to plug in a Nissan Consult and read the codes. There are also ways to get the codes yourself. After you have the codes you'll know what's causing the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing thread dig. Those lights come on for many many reasons and the easiest way is to get someone to plug in a Nissan Consult and read the codes. There are also ways to get the codes yourself. After you have the codes you'll know what's causing the problem.

I'm in the same boat, I'm about to purchase a set of Splifires (SF-DIS-008 if I'm right) for my 2000 R34 GT-T which has been giving me a bit of grief the same as you.

My diagnostics tool just displayed a "IGNITION SOURCE PRIMARY" no codes etc so figured it was either the spark plugs or coils.

Replaced my old plugs with the BCPxxxES and gapped to .8 which didn't eleviate the problem and I've been saving for Splitfires so I'm pretty excited to say the least.

Will let you know how I go (: