SAU Community

R33 Abs Problem Fixed! For $4

macca911

MY ABS Story, 1997 R33 Gts-T: (skip to see resolution)

Over the past few months my ABS warning light has been on, no big deal, breaks still worked fine and it somehow it passed NSW roadworthy. But I wanted to know what the problem was and I didn't want to spend $250 on a replacement ABS unit.

I had the car data streamed and It responded with "ABS motor [off] or fail" no real help.

My Issues started about 6 months ago where the ABS motor would not switch off, it continued running even when the car was completely off. I figured faulty wiring or faulty abs module, and just unplugged it.

I downloaded the R33 workshop manual and traced through all the wiring, fuses and relays*

I found two 30amp SPDT (single poll double throw) Relays in a module attached to the abs pump

Part Number:47605

Long Story Short, I tested the Relays one would Close Circuit when powered, the other one would not.

I cut the faulty Relay apart and found the small connection point broken off, I re-applied the contact and put everything back together, All worked 100%. I will buy a new relay and replace the old one. The original Relay was matshita, but it can be replaced with a Panasonic.

For a $4 part the problem is solved. This is definitely worth checking.

Pic 1 Original Relay

Relay1.jpg

Pic 2 Relay Internals

relay2.jpg

Pic 3 R33 Spares

ABS.jpg

• 1 year later...

hey guys,

this problem just happened to me a couple of days back. after a good thorough wash, this stupid ABS light comes up whenever i start moving my car. at first it was intermittent but now, it became permanent.

i have decided to do the following checks before bringing down to a mechanic.

1. check, clean sensors

2. pull out the relay

however, i am not really sure which the sensors and the relay are. it will be great if someone can help me out with this.. pics do a thousand words =)

Hey has anyone got any pics of this relay? as I have an 96 GTST with the ABS light on and its realy starting to piss me off?

I know its an old thread but surely someone out there would of done this check surely??

Regards,

Draren

• 3 months later...

Sorry for digging this thread out of the grave, but my car has just failed the e-Safety check due to the ABS light showing!

I'm about to ring an auto-electrician to see what he can do. I would have had a crack at it myself but am at work and need to leave for Melbourne on Thurs (it's Monday today), so don't have time.

Will let you guys know if it works!

• 1 month later...

Will let you guys know if it works!

Sorry, forgot to follow up on this... yep, basically I just replaced the whole box that contains the 2 relays. Took me 5 mins to replace and worked like a charm straight away! Only downside: cost me $75 and the guy tried to charge me $100. I think I got ripped off? Nevertheless, I had to buy it on the spot as I really needed the car registered quickly and didn't have time to play around taking the relay box apart and waiting for relays to arrive from overseas :)

Was also thankful that it wasn't the ABS pump - the parts guy said it would have been about $250-300. Also think that's a bit steep?

Edited by benro2

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

pumbing old thread instead of starting new one as I would also like pics and the location of the relayes, I clean my ABS wheel sensors but the light is still on, breaks work fine just no ABS....

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up just buying another block relay, was impossible for me to desolder the pins off the relay as I don't have a proper desoldering tool (with built in vacuum) using a hand vacuum pump and a decent side soldering iron, I still couldn't remove all the pins.

Probably easier if you brought the relay to an electronics guy and ask him to desolder & resolder the relays on. Relays can be bought from Jaycar.

I'll take photos of the horrid mess I made tonight LOL

• 6 months later...

remove the relay block (1x 8mm bolt) and unplug all the connectors... give it a hard shake, it is sounds loose I'm sure it is dead.

I actually threw mine in the bin so I can't take photos of it.. but if you crack open the housing there are 2x pcb flush mounted relays.. I tried to desolder them but don't have a proper vacuum desoldering iron. Ended up melting half the PCB so I gave up. A hand desoldering pump won't do it, as the relays are flush mounted.

Went to a wrecking yard and paid $50 for an entire ABS unit and block relay. Tested on the spot, worked done :)