SAU Community

Stock R34 Airbox Q

Danox

I just picked up what i understand to be a complete R34 GTR airbox for my car. Currently I have cone filters. It's pictured assembled here with the scoop snorkel removed for clarity.

airbox3.jpg

I'm a bit confused about something -- obviously, the top air input comes from the air snorkel, but the one on the right, which is teardrop shaped, seems to fit into a matching teardrop hole in the right side of my engine bay. It's listed by Nissan as an air duct. However, this one is closed off -- as shown here. (I've since removed the foam and cleaned it up in the 2nd pic, and will reapply a foam layer that isn't falling apart.

airbox1.jpgairbox2.jpg

I don't understand why the airbox even has a intake hole on the side if this is supposed to be closed off. Do I have the wrong part or something? It fits so perfectly, but it doesn't even seem like a duct to me, it has no airflow.

What am I not seeing or understanding about how this works? Why is it there if it's closed?

• 12 years later...

image.thumb.png.7196f38fe72d63668ff1302b3c7087bc.png

I too have the same question about the side duct  on the R34 & R33 gtr air box that is blocked off, Do People remove this cap or is there enough flow from the snorkel to support 350rwkw? I want to get rid of my pod filters and install an oem air box.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• So latest update. I replaced the ignitor with a jspec unit from enjuku. It felt a lot better at first although it is a little bit cooler of a day than it has been. Warming up didn't have as much misfire sputtering as before. Went on a 10m test drive. Felt good, a lot stronger though I was taking it easy on the boost. On the return trip started getting the cutting out at higher rpm again and was getting worse the longer I was driving. Took it easy the rest of the way home. Before turning the car off was getting the normal idle sputtering I was getting before.  So where I'm at now, entire ignition system has been replaced with upgraded components. Plugs still gapped at .8mm. Removed the fuel cap in case it was building too much reverse pressure I'm the tank, didn't help at all. Now I'm still on the same tank of gas the fuel treatment was in, I'm thinking if I can run that out and then refill with fresh 93 maybe  the treatment is too concentrated in some areas but doesn't explain that it only does it once the car is warm. I'm leaning towards fuel pump or injectors but if the injector was clogging I don't think it would make it shut off like it has but then fire right back up like nothing happened. So my current guess would be the pump. Without a fuel pressure guage no way to test or check it while it's running.  So that's kind of where I'm at. Need to start testing fuel components and ecu/wiring but I'm at a loss of what's the next logical step and procedure for testing it. 
    • @niZmO_Man thanks for that info, lucky I bought the gktech ones 🤙.
    • Never cheap out on brakes, tyres, suspension. I learnt the hard way at Oran Park lol
    • You got your answer when everything was OK after disconnecting your return line from the FPR. Why in the world are you running a 460, 2200CC injectors, etc. on stock 8mm lines?  Keep the pump, ditch the lines. I used both 8mm lines as my feed and one of my Hicas 10mm lines as return.