SAU Community

Hks Japan 2.8 Engine Build

HKS here in Japan are doing my engine build and other mods ..Aimimg for basically an easy safe 600PS

I started another post before asking for help and input,,its link is here

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/28...ed-t242358.html

Anyway over the next couple of months I will be posting details of the build plus pics and video. HKS themselves will be putting together a CD of pics as the car will be sent to OZ sometime next year as a private import and will be up for sale so I will have full history of pics and paper work for the potential buyer..plus they will have a soild base to go on if they want more power

Also any imput and advice along the way would be much appreciated..

Edited by elrodeo666

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read the link to previous post you will know whats going on to do...

But last saturday I spent the day at HKS here at Sapporo..I ended up getting to test 2 cars with V-cam setup..the GTR34 thatbthey had hooked up and by chance another customer with R32 700PS single setup.. I was lucky because we had a fairly solid dump of snow mid week with on and off snowing and sub zero temps but dya temps were enough to melt highway snow and with no ice I got to give these cars a good run. Have to say the V-cam is pretty impressive. The 34 was running around the 600ps mark and at idle was no different to my 33 but plant the foot and power comes on so quick and right thru the rev range, it was pure joy to drive. I totally understand what Beer Baron was on about..totally addictive to drive. The 32 had stupid amounts of torque but the drive was abruptly stopped by highway patrol but before they shut us down I at least got some sort of feel for the beast..

We got back to the workshop just in time to see bright red GTR35 being parkd in the car park after having speed limeter bt passed and snow tyres fitted..F#@k I know the 35 is great looking car but the additional expenses that go with just buying the car are pretty heavy. A new set of snow tyres for it were ¥600,000 (9,870 aussie) you got to have a big wallet.

Anyway after all the fun it was time to sit down with the boys and work out a plan for the build..so heres the some of parts below...

N1 R34 block

HKS Step 2 2.8 kit

HKS Twin SFTK GT 2835 Turbos

Naprec Head Tune (stage 2)

Step 2 Valve guides

Tomei Oil Galeery Orifice( going off jap translation)

Endless Plenum (http://www.endless-r.co.jp/pe-ji/orijinaru/gtr_saji1.jpg)

HKS 680cc injectors

HKS 264 intake

HKS Fuel delivery rail

HKS high power oil pump

Nismo N1 Water Pump

Samco hoses

Kyoyo Aluminum radiator

HKS V-cam B system

etc.........I'll scan the final plan and post later but all in ping pong..

Still to go in ..Carbon single tailshaft (sorry andrew they want to to 2 dyno runs one before and after as they do the work)

They want to run surge tank and fuel fuel pump and delivery system as well but I"m not sure if this legal in Oz or if the car would pass inspection with this fuel setup..Any help/info here would be great as not sure on what the legality is..

Also I'm not that convinced on Turbo choice..I'd be happy with the GT 2530's as the others are extra ¥400,000plus but they want to go that way is they reckon it would be super torquey motor..Any input here would be appreciated. I think the GT 2350 with the V-cam and head work and 2.8 would be pretty good package.

With the exchange rate as is I'm looking to buy some parts outta of oz to save a little bit of coin. I'm in no rush for the build as were about to hit winter and the car will be off the road (dont drive it here because of the amount of snow,but have to admit its like a pig in shit..handles better than anything I have driven in the snow)

Anyway I'm back at HKS on friday to have a yak again so will take pics and post later..

post-43319-1227530480_thumb.jpg

post-43319-1227530633_thumb.jpg

post-43319-1227530961_thumb.jpg

I reckon try and talk them out of the 2835 SFTK. It is a great kit, and nice manifolds, and nice external gate noise, but a set of 2530s or GT-RS I think will really give the kind of result you're after. and the 2530s will give a very comfortable 600ps and the RS 700ps+ the 2835 kit is talking 800ps. the 2835 kit is more money, more power, less response.

There is no problem with the surge tank set-up. many cars in aus have external fuel pumps and anti-surge tanks etc.

my only other comment is the injectors may be marginal with either the RS or the 2835s. but should be fine for the 2530s.

definitely consider some kind of enlarged sump too and a nice oil cooler (may not need it most months on hokkaido, but you will need it in aus.)

Hey Richard cheers for the input...in all honesty I think they have got a bit carried away with the recco of 2835's. I got 3 pages of parts and honestly couldnt be bothered last night translating it all, but oil cooler and after market oil pan was on the list plus if we did use the 2835's then going up size injectors was the plan.

I'm pretty happy and so would my bank account, to go the 2530's..plenty of power and with the v-cam shouldnt have much lag if at all, plus saving ¥400,000 would be better spent over hauling the gearbox.

Parts and some head work will be done by these guys http://www.naprec.co.jp/e/product/n_rb26/hrk_rb26.html plus will get the once over at HKS..

My biggest concern was not to over spend as with the deprication of aussie dollar I think it would be hard to make any money back on the re-sale. I'm not after profit, breaking even would be sweet,just want to sell someone a well put together and quick and responsive car.

Andrew..boys are green with envy over the price of the tailshaft!! I think its HRD that get them made by ACPT..I wonder if they have any probs with fittments...

Anyway I should be back there thurs to go thru things once again and drop a few bits and pieces off and hopefully get some more pics.

As for price of all this looking somewhere at ¥4,000,000..I dont want to try convert it to aussie coin!! Price should come down with different turbo setup plus I can get alot parts here with good discount thru a mayes shop. Plus also be hunting down some parts from Oz as the rates great!!..After an oil pump if anyone has one let me know..

anyways ..keep ya posted!! By the way if I stop posting here it means my misso has found how how much the build will be and i would be...aarrh..dead!!

Edited by elrodeo666

• 2 weeks later...

Not alot to really update on this. Spent last sunday out at HKS just sorting out a few things and basically handing over coin. I did get to hang out in the workshop for awhile going over one of their drag cars..GTR33 pretty beastly looking machine. They were stripping the motor down for rebuild but I had the misso in tow so couldnt hang around for too long.

But got to drop off the block to be sent off for machining and the 2.8 Step2 kit was ordered. Also ordered up a Hi Octane RB26 Weld on Sump Extension with Trap Doors Fitted and Modified Oil Pick Up. I want to try and use some parts from Oz to show the jap crew that aussies are making kick arse products too plus its hell of alot cheaper than the "brand" names here so save a bit of coin and spend elsewhere. I have to thank Kyle from Hi Octane for the speedy and informative email replys!! Look forward to seeing the 34 over here!

Anyway we finalised the turbos to be 2350's for now but that could change but I think its the way to go plus definitely going the way of the V-cam system so should be pretty responsive car. Next thing is planning out the fuel system.

All I can do now is wait until the parts start rocking up from HKS headquarters and I"ll start posting up some pics...

keep ya posted.

Mark, nice sounding setup you have planned.

The only thing I find odd, is if you are trying to keep the spending under control, why are you going to run an HKS Step 2 2.8 system AND V-Cam Setup for a pair of GT2530's? Seems like overkill to me.

Hey Richard cheers for the input...in all honesty I think they have got a bit carried away with the recco of 2835's. I got 3 pages of parts and honestly couldnt be bothered last night translating it all, but oil cooler and after market oil pan was on the list plus if we did use the 2835's then going up size injectors was the plan.

I'm pretty happy and so would my bank account, to go the 2530's..plenty of power and with the v-cam shouldnt have much lag if at all, plus saving ¥400,000 would be better spent over hauling the gearbox.

Parts and some head work will be done by these guys http://www.naprec.co.jp/e/product/n_rb26/hrk_rb26.html plus will get the once over at HKS..

My biggest concern was not to over spend as with the deprication of aussie dollar I think it would be hard to make any money back on the re-sale. I'm not after profit, breaking even would be sweet,just want to sell someone a well put together and quick and responsive car.

Andrew..boys are green with envy over the price of the tailshaft!! I think its HRD that get them made by ACPT..I wonder if they have any probs with fittments...

Anyway I should be back there thurs to go thru things once again and drop a few bits and pieces off and hopefully get some more pics.

As for price of all this looking somewhere at ¥4,000,000..I dont want to try convert it to aussie coin!! Price should come down with different turbo setup plus I can get alot parts here with good discount thru a mayes shop. Plus also be hunting down some parts from Oz as the rates great!!..After an oil pump if anyone has one let me know..

anyways ..keep ya posted!! By the way if I stop posting here it means my misso has found how how much the build will be and i would be...aarrh..dead!!

sounds good. maybe even consider the HKS TO4Z kit. it's a good match for v-cam and HKS 2.8. my friends car in tokyo (shinagawa) has this set-up and it makes silly power but is still very driveable. a big cheaper than the 2835 SFTK too.

Good idea on getting some aussie parts in there. the exchange rate is certainly in your favour at the moment. :thumbsup:

Cars are a bit of a bitch to sell at the moment, but top level cars will always be able to be sold no matter what the market. I just sold my 32 that I did a similar thing to what you are doing now. check out this thread for some pics. It's a bit of a smaller scale to your build, using nissan crate motor, then rebuilt at prime garage, tomei cams, manifolds, HKS GT-SS, tomei dumps etc etc. lots of good gear. and it sold very quickly and for fair money. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Be...tr-t221436.html

I'll be honest Richard..I watched your posts on your build and that inspired me to get mine done here. Initially I was going to go something similar but the speed bug bit and after driving some friends cars at the track decided to go the 2.8 way.. The guys at HKS keep badgering to go more power..easy for them its not their bloody money.

I'm happy to go the twin setup for now..maybe later go the TO4Z or if and when I sell the car then new owner will have solid base to go for more power.

Edited by elrodeo666

Also ordered up a Hi Octane RB26 Weld on Sump Extension with Trap Doors Fitted and Modified Oil Pick Up. I want to try and use some parts from Oz to show the jap crew that aussies are making kick arse products too plus its hell of alot cheaper than the "brand" names here so save a bit of coin and spend elsewhere. I have to thank Kyle from Hi Octane for the speedy and informative email replys!! Look forward to seeing the 34 over here!

I was looking at these too - do you know how much lower than standard the sump is when its installed?

Damn awesome, sounds like the stuff dreams are made of to me - having HKS build you up a street weapon. I'd probably go with the GT2835s myself but just because it'd be part of my dream, having a very "90s" Japanese build - huge HKS turbos on a big HKS motor.... I'm having a happy moment. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out even though its going to be a bit more restrained, will have some amazing power delivery ;)

Not alot to really update on this. Spent last sunday out at HKS just sorting out a few things and basically handing over coin. I did get to hang out in the workshop for awhile going over one of their drag cars..GTR33 pretty beastly looking machine. They were stripping the motor down for rebuild but I had the misso in tow so couldnt hang around for too long.

As if I wasn't already in my happy place - when you say one of their drag cars, is it a customer car or are HKS still playing with their own drag projects? Care to share any more detail on this? :P

I'll be honest Richard..I watched your posts on your build and that inspired me to get mine done here. Initially I was going to go something similar but the speed bug bit and after driving some friends cars at the track decided to go the 2.8 way.. The guys at HKS keep badgering to go more power..easy for them its not their bloody money.

I'm happy to go the twin setup for now..maybe later go the TO4Z or if and when I sell the car then new owner will have solid base to go for more power.

glad to be of inspiration! it's great fun doing a build in japan. that car was a great result and the japanese workshops i've dealt with have been excellent service wise. like all workshops they don't always deliver on time, but they do always deliver what they say they will. and they have great attention to detail too.

I've done a similar thing, but on a smaller scale with the RX7 RZ. for that one just a full rebuild (new housings etc the whole hog) and a mild 'street port' that the owner of pre-stage is best for great low down torque and good power. that build when great too, and I still have the car. it runs so nicely and the low down torque it makes is astounding. it makes more power and torque down low than a stock GTR. it feels so responsive on the street.

anyway, your car will be great when it's done. you'll have to take me for a spin either on hokkaido or when you send it down under! :yes:

Damn awesome, sounds like the stuff dreams are made of to me - having HKS build you up a street weapon. I'd probably go with the GT2835s myself but just because it'd be part of my dream, having a very "90s" Japanese build - huge HKS turbos on a big HKS motor.... I'm having a happy moment. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out even though its going to be a bit more restrained, will have some amazing power delivery :)

As if I wasn't already in my happy place - when you say one of their drag cars, is it a customer car or are HKS still playing with their own drag projects? Care to share any more detail on this? :D

Not a customer car but the boys at the shop toy...It was getting over 600ps outta the standard block with single turbo but had every bolt on possible, they are building up new motor for it over winter here...I'll try get some pics of it next time I'm in the shop, hopefully over the weekend.

glad to be of inspiration! it's great fun doing a build in japan. that car was a great result and the japanese workshops i've dealt with have been excellent service wise. like all workshops they don't always deliver on time, but they do always deliver what they say they will. and they have great attention to detail too.

I've done a similar thing, but on a smaller scale with the RX7 RZ. for that one just a full rebuild (new housings etc the whole hog) and a mild 'street port' that the owner of pre-stage is best for great low down torque and good power. that build when great too, and I still have the car. it runs so nicely and the low down torque it makes is astounding. it makes more power and torque down low than a stock GTR. it feels so responsive on the street.

anyway, your car will be great when it's done. you'll have to take me for a spin either on hokkaido or when you send it down under! :)

Richard, better off going for a spin here in hokkaido/sapporo, theres some crazy illegal street dragging and drifting that goes on plus after you have Susukino..5000 bars/restaurants/soapland ..its crazy plus I know a hell of alot of kabba kuras ...

mmm sounds good. :(

I haven't seen much dragging in japan. lots of freeway/wangan racing in and around tokyo and lots of drifinting up in the mountains and industrial areas. but i'd love to see some drags. just for something different.

the more I think about it the more I think you'll be happier with 2530s or GT-RS. the singles are good. but the more GTRs I drive it seems to be the twins that make the faster cars. look at the top circuit cars in japan. they run twins. there are some singles in there, but it seems to be the 'hard way' to do things rather than the smart way. :)

2.8, v-cam, 2530s will make an awesome street/track package with lots of midrange which is what you want in a GTR.