SAU Community

Hks Japan 2.8 Engine Build

Still not much to report..

Head is still at the machine shop and doesnt look like coming back to HKS until 2nd week after Golden Week (a week where Japan basically shuts down for holidays)

Once its back then at least things will start kicking into gear .

Ordered up a carbon bonnet from East Bear and is getting clear coat done at the moment, I doubt that will get here before golden week.

I ordered up this from Rob at RIPS and is all finished and on the way. Starting to have a bit of a collection of parts and be nice to see them in the car soon.

post-43319-1240183918_thumb.jpg post-43319-1240183950_thumb.jpg post-43319-1240183962_thumb.jpg

Hopefully in a couple of weeks work on the car will get into gear and can get a few pics up.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good Mark, looks like your build is Not as slow as mine :thumbsup: i should really check up on mine soon,

Howd you go with that shaft?? i think a few of the guys here didnt have problems with balancing, i pray your one of them!!

You should ask hks what they think about using the rb30 bottom end with the 26 head and see what reasons they say why they don't use it, it's always made me wonder

Agreed, please ask that one!

It might have something to do with local availability of the Rb30 blocks

How much do you figure all this to set you back. I'm only asking as you stated you would be happy to get your money back when/if you sell.

I'll tell you in a couple of months when its all done but I would hate to do the conversion to the aussie peso, its lucky I earn yen.

You should ask hks what they think about using the rb30 bottom end with the 26 head and see what reasons they say why they don't use it, it's always made me wonder

I wont be back at HKS until next week, off to Tokyo for 5 days for a japanese wedding, boozing and partying.

I have talked to them a bit and some crew are doing the 30/26, blocks are through OS Giken but will have a suss and see what they say. Seems either 2.6 or go 2.8 from what I've seen here. Japanese are pretty locked in their ways and dont change too easlily.

Sounds good Mark, looks like your build is Not as slow as mine :P i should really check up on mine soon,

Howd you go with that shaft?? i think a few of the guys here didnt have problems with balancing, i pray your one of them!!

Ha...mines still in its box waiting with all the other parts to go in the car...

• 2 months later...

Jeez didnt realise its been this long since posting but really not alot has been happening bar sitting around waiting for head maching to be finished and parts to arrive.

Well car is finally in the workshop and having some suspension mods being finished up. Whiteline adjustable sway bars, front and rear camber adjuster kits fitted, pineapples and these little buggers http://www.attkd.co.jp/product_link-collar.htm which will all help to a better handling GTR..well I hope.

Picked up a few cosmetic parts,

Sunline Carbon Fibre cooling panel

HKS Kansai Carbon plug cover )

HKS Kansai Carbon Cam cover ) http://secure.n1racing.net/eshop/prod_imag...fd343354230.jpg

Valve Covers are being chromed

Tomei Dump pipes

HKS Hi Power cannon

Got some series 3 headlights coming plus heap of other parts going in when engine is fitted.

Head is supposed to be delivered back for porting this friday so the real meat of the sandwich starts.

Block is all finished and just waiting to be bolted with the head.

Gearbox will come out this saturday and is having a OS 5spd with uprated input shaft and box will be built by Auto Gallery Yokohama using their SS690 double con kit. Supposedly these setups are the dicks cheese for boxes here in Japan getting the best of both worlds with the (supposedly) strong OS gear set and the slick smooth shift of the SS690. See how it all pans out.

I'm off to Korea for a month next sat but hopefully will post up a few pics before I go but there should be a bunch on return. Finally can see light at the end of the tunnel.

These pics were at HKS today. Conference around cutomers 32 and one of their drg 33's.

Yep thats a line locker next to the Sard reg.

post-43319-1246803979_thumb.jpg post-43319-1246803994_thumb.jpg post-43319-1246804011_thumb.jpg

post-43319-1246804025_thumb.jpg post-43319-1246804038_thumb.jpg post-43319-1246804053_thumb.jpg

post-43319-1246804070_thumb.jpg post-43319-1246804082_thumb.jpg

yep, you will love the AGY SS690 dual cone synchro box with the OSG gearset in it. they are very good.

make sure you get genuine HKS kansai covers as far as I know they no longer produce the carbon ones, only the carbon kevlar, and when they did make them they were dry carbon. the ones in that pic like like they are wet carbon and look like the copies that are around. have a look on that N1 parts site and the pic you posted looks different to the other pic they have with them fitted to an engine. the ones on the engine look genuine. see how the ones on the engine do not have that real glossy finish, more of a matte finish. that is what the genuine ones are like. I just don't want to see you pay genuine money for non genuine covers!

it will be awesome when it's done. :(

Cheers Richard..

I chucked up the link for reference. The carbon puppies I have are straight off the shelf from HKS, nobody wanted them so they gave them to me.

I've driven a couple of cars with the AGYSS690 but was worried about the input shaft as they dont use strengthened shaft and know of 2 cars that have launched and snapped.

I reckon the combo with the OS gearset should be awesome, best of both worlds as those AGYSS690 sets are super slick to shift.

Got a phone call just before that they have fitted new Advan TC 2's 18 x 10.5 x 114 with 25 offset and they reckon it looks tuff. Absolute limit for fitment but can throw the bloody spacers away. Damn light rims!

Hey Mark! sounding good! doesn't appear to be too far off now :)

i was waiting for your update, was hoping you were up and running and the shaft was ok and without problems!

but i guess its more waiting on that front.. i'm still yet to do anything with mine..

make sure before you leave japan with the car you get the nice lights and kit the car up :P

• 1 month later...
ive searched twice through here but are there any dyno graphs, were doing a tt build and would be nice to see a graph to this build

Bloke the engine hasnt even been put together yet so now dyno sheets for awhile!!

I havent posted any updates for awhile as have been away in Korea for awhile and just got back home to Japan about 10 days or so ago so was just getting the odd update by email.

Shit this has been a long time but finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

The head arrived back to HKS while I was away and sat there for a week or 3 by the sounds of it (had summer hols here) but finally he porting and polishing process has finally begun. The pics below are from last week so still in the early stages but got a call yesterday that should be all done this week and head and block can finally say g'day to each other !!

Old engine and gearbox has been ripped out but they chucked the old engine back in for the time being. They were worried about leaving it on the shop floor due to recent earthquakes and were paranoid it would fall over !1 Numbnuts!! Anyway its just sitting on the engine mounts at the moment.

Gearbox is off to Auto Gallery Yokohama for their SS690 cross mission upgrade using their synchro setup and OS Giken gearset and strneghtend input shaft. I picked up an almost brand new box which I'll use for the run in and until the other box is sorted.

While I was away some brand new Garrett -5's from Hi Octane in Oz.. big thanks to Kyle for his help getting these and other parts for me.

Also list of new parts sitting there waiting to go in are

Koyo Aluminium Radiator

HKS Cams 264 In/264 out

HKS slide cam gears

HKS Oil Cooler

Samco Silicon Hoses

HKS Racing chamber kit

HKS Intercoller piping kit

HKS Step 2 Valve springs

Naprec cam cap set

Naprec forged valves

Jun Chitan valve retainers

HKS Fuel Delivery kit

Sard fuel pressure regulator

Sard 800cc injectors

Sunline Racing Carbon radiator cooling panel

Thats all i can rember off the top of my head as been flat out f#$ked since I got back and had beers thrown left right and centre so alls been a bit foggy.

Before I left I picked up some Advan Racing TC2's 18x10.5x +22offset. Definitely fill the guards out. We chucked. well streched the preverbial outta my 18x265/35 tires and did a trial fit. Looks good but definitely need the larger tyre. I have Enkei RPO5 rims (chrome) on at the moment.

Anyway heres a few pics I took, sorry not that flash as was suffering from shocking hangover but should have some pics next week as engine starts being put together.

post-43319-1251714699_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251715501_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251715518_thumb.jpg

post-43319-1251715533_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251716124_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251716142_thumb.jpg

post-43319-1251714718_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251714736_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251714756_thumb.jpg

post-43319-1251714784_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251714808_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251714876_thumb.jpg

post-43319-1251714900_thumb.jpg cams and cam gears

post-43319-1251714925_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251714948_thumb.jpg

post-43319-1251714969_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251714996_thumb.jpg

post-43319-1251715019_thumb.jpg post-43319-1251715041_thumb.jpg