SAU Community

Hks Japan 2.8 Engine Build

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still havent got the hang of the photo thing but the post begore was supposed to have these pics..

Hopefully things start getting bolted up to this soon, its been sitting around finished for awhile now!

IMG_0762.jpgIMG_0761.jpg

Going alot quicker than mine at the moment :blink: i'm pretty over it all tho wouldnt mind selling up!

glad to see yours is getting done finally! you'll have it back just in time for some more snow skid fun :/ and i pray that shaft of yours is fine... it appears a few guys have had them installed and not had problems at all!

Hi Mark,

Firstly excellent thread mate. So did you end up going the V-Cam system? cost? what model did you get and does it really make that much difference?

After reading your thread I noticed you picked cams so I'm thinking you ditched the V-cam Idea.

Did you replace standard suspension parts etc change CV'S etc?

I'm deff going the 2.8L route myself but still haven't decided on turbo config.

Any tips of things you would have done different or changed so far?

Also why the new head? couldn't you use or old head to upgrade? was it expensive from Nissan japan?

Cheers

Rob

What oversize NAPREC valves are going in the head? I noticed they have a +1.5mm option however most oversize valves from Ferrea, Supertech etc only go +1.0mm

Looks awesome so far!

Mike

Mike I'm not 100% sure of valve size and suffering shocking hangover today but will check on the weekend

Going alot quicker than mine at the moment :happy: i'm pretty over it all tho wouldnt mind selling up!

glad to see yours is getting done finally! you'll have it back just in time for some more snow skid fun :D and i pray that shaft of yours is fine... it appears a few guys have had them installed and not had problems at all!

Hey Andrew

saw your looking at flogging your engine off, mate what are you doing!! Engine builds..shit the stress and time drrives you insane.

Ha snow skids..mate power is the last thing ya want, I can drift my misso's Jimmny like a pro on the ice, with this engine the GTR will be scary, hopefully I'll be outta here by then but doubt it.

Hi Mark,

Firstly excellent thread mate. So did you end up going the V-Cam system? cost? what model did you get and does it really make that much difference?

After reading your thread I noticed you picked cams so I'm thinking you ditched the V-cam Idea.

Did you replace standard suspension parts etc change CV'S etc?

I'm deff going the 2.8L route myself but still haven't decided on turbo config.

Any tips of things you would have done different or changed so far?

Also why the new head? couldn't you use or old head to upgrade? was it expensive from Nissan japan?

Cheers

Rob

Hey Rob

Yeah I bailed on the V-cam mainly because the car will end up in Australia and didnt want the hassle of trying to get it tuned plus it was an extra 450,000yen plus another 400,000 plus for different turbos so chose the Garrett -5's!

Car will keep the standard CV's..if they break then will replace them.

Tips..hmm spend the money on something else!!

I got new head so I could keep using the car until new engine was ready to go in.

Got price on new head last week and they were bit over 170,000 yen at the moment , mine was cheaper than that at the time plus got discount.

Also did you use any aftermarket bolts etc? Like ARP ?

Exhaust system? standard manifold? standard coil pack?

Whats the advantages of the hypertune TB setup over the stock?

Pretty sure using Tomei head studs.

Yep standard manifold but has had port job done on it.

Exhaust is Tomei dumps, and HKS ll Hi-power sports exhaust system and HKS Hi flow cat

From what I have been told the Hypertune TB gives better response

Now I have figured out how to do full size pics I thought i would throw all the pics so far on one page.

IMG_0677.jpg

post-a193471-photo.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

Fresh N1 block!!

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

Customers 33 with Collectors V cam setup

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

HKS Circuit car

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

HKS 2.8 Step 2 Engine parts and assembled block

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

The guy that owns this 34 is 59 years old and has a mint condition 32, 33, this 34 and new GTR35 and is a GTR fanatical nut and loves to drive his cars but looks after impeccably!!

P6280340.jpg

P6280339.jpg

P6280338.jpg

nice one :)

yeah i should stick with it hey.. it has been driving me a bit crazy. i'm sure your the same!

Yep know how you feel.

I was expecting to come back and find the motor together and ready to go in the car and be ready for drags on 12 & 13th of this month but got buckleys chance of that!

Awesome build, good read, great pics!!

Cheers bloke!

impressive brakes on the 34.

P6280338.jpg

Yeah they are impressive.

AP racing on the front and Endless on the rear. The old fella is loaded with yen!!

Hi Mark,

It seems like your build is progressing smoothly. So you ditched the V Cam setup! Mine is set up and good to go - (reminder Melbourne R34 GTR, Racepace built RB28 - HKS step 2 with V Cam.) However, due to some unforeseeable misfortune, the car will be held back at the workshop for another 3 weeks. I will open new thread in project section.

Cheers

Matt

nice pics mate. make sure you get some pics of the exhaust and the combustion chambers of the head. you've only got pics of the one side (inlet) so far and the exhaust and combustion chambers will show where the $$ went :( make sure you do get some or at least get them to turn it over so you can see it as once it's on the engine you'll never see it again... :D

Very nice build mate.

It's interesting that you ditched the v-cam.

I am hoping to see some good analysis of them.

Please keep us posted tangomatt

What is the max cam lift with the V-cam?

Edited by 9krpm

9krpm,

I am also interesdted to know if the V-Cam is as good as it is made out to be. Just looking on the HKS webside the maximum lift is 10.0mm with a duration of 264deg. (inlet cam). That is on the V-Cam Pro.

Would be good to see an "all out" RB26 head with big lift and O/S valves versus a properly set up V-Cam comparison with the same turbos etc.

Mike

nice pics mate. make sure you get some pics of the exhaust and the combustion chambers of the head. you've only got pics of the one side (inlet) so far and the exhaust and combustion chambers will show where the $$ went :banana: make sure you do get some or at least get them to turn it over so you can see it as once it's on the engine you'll never see it again... :domokun:

Hey Richard,

Mate I was suffering pretty bad from hell hangover on the day, had just got back to jappa after 5 weeks in Korea and got dragged out the night before for a few quiet drinks which never goes to plan.After dragging my sorry arse to HKS after a night of hostess bars and kabbakuras i was just pointing the camera and pressing the shutter and wanted to get the f#$k outta there. Old mate could have been talking martian for all I know, was a sorry day. I was lucky to get the pics I got.

I'll be back there early next week and will get more detailed shots as when those were taken they were still into early porting stages and everything looked a bit rough, well through my blurry eyes they did.

Very nice build mate.

It's interesting that you ditched the v-cam.

I am hoping to see some good analysis of them.

Please keep us posted tangomatt

What is the max cam lift with the V-cam?

9Krpm

mate I'm not 100% dead sure on max cam lift for V-cam, i'll run it by them next week.

The idea is you can run an aggressive cam on the intake without having crazy idle and drivability. with the V-cam it idles almost like standard cam but torque comes on much earlier in the rev range. they are pretty sweet to drive.

Reason I ditched the V-cam setup was like I said before we were going to run it with Hks 2835's but that whole setup plus V-cam was way over $10,000 aussie so made a compramise for now by going with the garretts.

Also with that setup it was going to be an easy 700ps+ and honestly for street setup I think 600ps is plenty. Also the fact the car will get sent back to Oz, I have heard a few guys have had real problems setting the V-cam up when trying to use Apex Power Fc. I'm running F-Con V pro at the moment but dont know how hard it is to get them tuned in oz . So thought staying on the fence for now in case I had to change engine management system when the car goes to oz and couldnt run the V-cam.

Honestly if I can get it tuned in oz, I'm leaning towards getting it put in before I send the car.

Honestly, I think once its all finished

9krpm,

I am also interesdted to know if the V-Cam is as good as it is made out to be. Just looking on the HKS webside the maximum lift is 10.0mm with a duration of 264deg. (inlet cam). That is on the V-Cam Pro.

Would be good to see an "all out" RB26 head with big lift and O/S valves versus a properly set up V-Cam comparison with the same turbos etc.

Mike

Hey Mike

mate seems like every tanaka, watanabe and suzuki san is running the V-cam setup over here. It actually is a suprise to check under a bonnet and not see one installed.

I personally think its on the bigger turbo setup you really notice the difference. If I decide to throw it on later it will be interesting to see the difference between setups of before and after V-cam.

What I have noticed on cars I have driven that have it is they are smooth. the drivabilaty is great, doesnt feel like you have peformance cams until the lead foot hits and then whammo, that torque hits early !

There are some drags on next weekend that I'm going to unless it rains and there are a few cars going that I know so will try get some vid and pics!

Hi Mark,

It seems like your build is progressing smoothly. So you ditched the V Cam setup! Mine is set up and good to go - (reminder Melbourne R34 GTR, Racepace built RB28 - HKS step 2 with V Cam.) However, due to some unforeseeable misfortune, the car will be held back at the workshop for another 3 weeks. I will open new thread in project section.

Cheers

Matt

Matt

have you had the engine running yet ?? Have they had any dramas tuning the V-cam controller using the Power fc ?? Or you running the F-con??

Marcus