SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

A place to report your defect, where you were defected and discuss defect related mods.

Keep it clean with no slagging. If your defected out and about legitimately take it on the chin. :O

On the other hand if your defected for an item which is standard (i.e the factory bov) let us know. But keep it clean.

Info Bulletin 3 - General ADR Guidelines

Info Bulletin 44 - Vehicle Ride Heights

A place to report your defect, where you were defected and discuss defect related mods.

Keep it clean with no slagging. If your defected out and about legitimately take it on the chin. :banana:

On the other hand if your defected for an item which is standard (i.e the factory bov) let us know. But keep it clean.

Here's a fairly easy to use list of ADR stuff:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/person..._bulletin_3.pdf

these are only a guildeline apparently, in the end a defect if up to the "officer's discretion"

Cubes, perhaps you could periodically edit the first post to include links to those useful documents like information bulletin 3 and 44, and any other "gold mines" that crop up from time to time.

Great info thanks.

One question, what's the experiences with aftermarket turbos? I mean if your standard ones die then you pretty much have to go aftermarket if you want new turbos. If you put on something like 34 N1s on a 32 is this defectable? Can't see how it could as they were a standard fit to the same engine but just interested.

Thing that I find amazing, for cars after 1988 the speedo needs to read within 10% at speeds above 40. How you can be done for speeding at speeds below this tolerance is absolutely absurd.

Anyway according to those documents my car isn't defectable which is great news.

Cheers,

Matt

Another good idea for all those that drive around with mods that you know are, or fall under guidelines as being legal, print off a copy of ADR's and keep it in your glove box.

But when you are explaining it to the cop be polite and understanding as no one likes a smartarse.

Great info thanks.

One question, what's the experiences with aftermarket turbos? I mean if your standard ones die then you pretty much have to go aftermarket if you want new turbos. If you put on something like 34 N1s on a 32 is this defectable? Can't see how it could as they were a standard fit to the same engine but just interested.

Thing that I find amazing, for cars after 1988 the speedo needs to read within 10% at speeds above 40. How you can be done for speeding at speeds below this tolerance is absolutely absurd.

Anyway according to those documents my car isn't defectable which is great news.

Cheers,

Matt

Yes. You can steel wheel and high flow your stock turbo without any issues. They check the housing number on the turbo when you go through.

Any different turbo will affect emissions, therefore it's a defect. You cannot cover the turbo up with a heat shield or wrapping to try to cover the model number, either.

Coming from a owner of a R32 GTR who's just tried going through Regency with N1's:

N1's + Regency = No go

They use an endoscope to check housing numbers.

Thought that I'd take the car for a drive down the bay to get desert and then a little drive to advertise the For Sale signs.

Now Two months ago I was done for being too low, which I understood etc....20mm :) oh well

But got pulled over on Saturday night on Rundle St because the BOV was too loud..... ???? ...... It's stock and haven't touched the car since regancy! :) Now I have to waste everyones time and my money just to go back through for an entirely stock part which is asumed to be vented to the atmosphere! He even looked over the whole car and only got me for the BOV (thats stock) because he assumes its not standard!!! He followed all the lines and they were all plumbed in ???? :) Because its stock!

Fair or not fair? hmmmm lol

In the case where an officer "suspects" the car is defectable, you will get defected...that's all there is to it. If it's a VIS inspection (Major Defect) and if you call up regency and tell them exactly what BS defect it was and it's legal, then you "may" be given the option to go to the cop shop to get the defect reinspected and taken off defect.

Not my personal experience, but I've heard it happen a few times here.

In the case where an officer "suspects" the car is defectable, you will get defected...that's all there is to it. If it's a VIS inspection (Major Defect) and if you call up regency and tell them exactly what BS defect it was and it's legal, then you "may" be given the option to go to the cop shop to get the defect reinspected and taken off defect.

Yeah thats what I thought, and only being two months ago is utter BS ! Regency didn't care at all and said deal with it basically... :) The funny thing was the the officer kept saying that WRX's are turbo and he never hears their BOV's... maybe a RX! lol I think that once he checked over the car, he realised that it was stock but didnt wanna look like a dic infront of his partner and still done me for it! He couldnt point out where it vented to the atmosphere lol!!!

Oh well just a waste of $127 and im sure even tho two months ago I passed, there will be something to get me back there to fill there pockets! GRRRRRr ;)

Wow can't see the logic in that but again this is SA. What about grinding the housing numbers off? Might wait till I leave the police state to upgrade turbos.

Yes. You can steel wheel and high flow your stock turbo without any issues. They check the housing number on the turbo when you go through.

Any different turbo will affect emissions, therefore it's a defect. You cannot cover the turbo up with a heat shield or wrapping to try to cover the model number, either.

Coming from a owner of a R32 GTR who's just tried going through Regency with N1's:

that happened to my son he got done for a fmic and pod filter we rang regancy they told us to take the car to elizabeth police station and get them to ring regency . elizabeth police station took the defect off still charged 29 bucks tho lol

yay, I got my first defect today

Two civilian cops came to me when I pulled over at Port Rd Shell to fill up my car... One of them just said in a very arrogant way "do you know Australian road rules?" And I was like "excuse me?" Then he showed me his badge and only then I realised they were cops. Then he started listing some things I apparently did wrong while they were following me, like speeding, failure to give way and failure to indicate and similar bullshit which they probably pulled straight out of their arses, cause I'm 100% sure all of that stuff was made up. And then without writing me any ticket for any of those "offences" (seems like he made up that shit just to break the ice) he quickly changed topic and said "you got turbo timer, that's a defect" when he noticed my car was still running. Then one cop told me that I have to go to Pt Adelaide police station for a vehicle inspection straight away.

So I went to Pt Adelaide station. The guys in police office reception told me to go out and wait at my car. Then another cop showed up. While inspecting my car he kept insulting me and making racial comments like "I know you sick c*nts" "don't f**k with me" and similar shit even though I was trying to be nice at all times. He opened up every compartment in my car without asking me and then he started to go through my papers and school stuff just like that... Then he found a couple of receipts from Japanese Performance Imports and said in a smartass way "well, what do we have here? hahahaha" he went through all of them only to find stuff like "fan belt" etc... Then he then asked me to pop the bonnet and he noticed a blocked off wastegate pipe (which is where the boost controller goes) and he said it's a home made boost controller and when I said it's not, it's only blocked off pipe he got really pissed off cause he thought he was lying even though I was not. He didn't find anything else wrong in engine bay, so he tested the tint on side windows and apparently it was too dark. Then he wrote down that my exhaust is too loud even though my car was off at all times and he didn't even take a look at my car's exhaust. He also added turbo timer, even though my car doesn't have an turbo timer. It only has one that's feature of my car alarm and is triggered only by the combination of buttons, not by just pulling the keys out... people who got Viper car alarm will know what I'm talking about. Again when I told him that he got pissed of at me cause I was apparently lying again.

Then he took me into office and I had to listen to more of his threats like how he can throw me into jail for lying to police officer and ruin my career and similar shit... by that time I realised the guy is just a psycho trying to intimidate me... so I've pretty much given up and stayed quiet for the rest of his monologue...

I'm surprised how much shit I had to take from this guy just for a defect. It's not like I commited a crime or a driving offence... Does anyone else here have experience with this guy who shall remain nameless? He's got strong scottish, pale sunburnt skin and short blonde/reddish hair.

did you get his badge number? report him.

exhaust too loud while car is off sucks, ive been done for that and bov couple weeks ago.

my experience has taught me, next time you get pulled over or talked to by a police officer, pull out your phone, turn on the voice recorder and leave it on. If they ask, its on, it stays on and if they don't like it they can speak to your lawyer.

Edited by tx3_90

Whoa! Rocky88, the first thing you should have done is asked for his badge number and got out a pen and paper and started taking notes. Racial comments from a police officer is simply not on.

In regards to the defects, the cops can, and will, defect you for a 'loud' exhaust even without hearing or testing it. They can send you to Regency on suspicion of a defect, too.

Don't worry about the Turbo Timer claim, as, if it's connected into the alarm system, you'll be fine going through Regency.

I'm not sure about the laws surrounding opening up your compartments, but I know they don't need a warrant, but may require to ask you to open it, rather than them opening it themselves.

But I'd be reporting this one to the police.

Well, I got his badge number and name on my expiation notice anyway... what I learned from this experience is that it's better to play "I know my rights" card than "being nice" card with cops...

It wont be too difficult to get the car off defect cause all the stuff he defected me for is non-existent apart from exhaust. I didnt know it's illegal to have dark tint on side windows cause car already passed regency with it before.

Should be all easy mate. But yeah, report the cop. It pays to be nice, but at the same time, to note down anything and everything the cop says. You're more than entitled to asking for his badge number, etc.

If they start snapping at you, don't snap back. Just take it and note it down. It'll bite them in the behind later down the track.