SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

Hi everybody

Got a "defect warning" last night for "engine oil leaks" I am new to SA and also on my p's which didn't help my case of getting pulled over in a r33 n/a( cop was hoping to find a turbo).

So my question, is it anything to be worried about? As in am I going to pulled over and checked for the warning in future? I am only worried due the fact I had a look in the day light and couldn't see any specs of oil anyway I even jumped on the car and looked up and still couldn't see anything so I'm worried they will just keep "finding" "leaks"

You can get defected for having oil leaks in the engine bay mate. Just make sure that there aren't any leaks and you should be fine, especially in a NA. No need to panic mate.

Okay, can I have an external wastegate if it is plumbed back?

Where am I able to mount my gauges legally? can I use those 2 hole gauge pillar that sits next to driver?

And wow, defected for oil leaks? I guess it's true that you can't have an UNdefectable car, aha..

Kinda sucks :(

external wastegate = no idea but cannot see it being allowed through even being plumbed back.

gauges have to be mounted below the top of your dash line from memory, so the 2 hole gauge pillar is a no go (correct me if I am wrong, but know of a mate who got defected for these)

no worries mate. Just clean it all up and that way you can identify which hoses are leaking and where from. Replace them, give it another clean and sweet as :D

external wastegate = no idea but cannot see it being allowed through even being plumbed back.

gauges have to be mounted below the top of your dash line from memory, so the 2 hole gauge pillar is a no go (correct me if I am wrong, but know of a mate who got defected for these)

last i knew is guages had to be below the top of the steering wheel. Funny how this can be the case as now 90% of cars have GPS's etc stuck on to the windscreen with a suction cap and this seems to be ok, but fixed guages are a no go. ive seen a square guage setup that uses the OBD2 port and looks the same as GPS so these may be an option??

• Like 1

Um interesting, I got told it had to be below the line off the top of the dash.

Yeah just goes to show how much import owners/drivers get picked on. You can securely mount a few gauges without any issues, yet can get defected for them. On the flip side you can have a poorly mounted GPS in the middle of the f**king windscreen and its considered perfectly normal and won't get picked on for. Where is the justice :(

Okay, can I have an external wastegate if it is plumbed back?

Where am I able to mount my gauges legally? can I use those 2 hole gauge pillar that sits next to driver?

And wow, defected for oil leaks? I guess it's true that you can't have an UNdefectable car, aha..

Kinda sucks :(

Nope, you can't have external gate or any turbo other than the stock turbo, all change the emissions and hence are defectable. If you want to run an external gate legally hide it under the exhaust shield so no one can see it, or spend $2k getting a full spectrum emissions test done, though if you are going to do this you might as well change the turbo, injectors, ECU and everything else, as if you can prove the emissions meet what is in the car then you can get it legally engineered.

• 4 weeks later...

after owning the car for 3yrs now i got my first defect for ground clearance being 80mm not 100mm

after going for my first inspection i soon realised the whole car gets inspected..lol

here are my stupid question..do n1 one turbo pass as standard turbo for r34 gtr cause atm i have trust t51

i have hks fmc piping kit with hks bov that vent to the atmosphere.. do i just buy factory bov and do they just bolt straight in and plum them back.

why can you have a fmic that increases air flow but cant have greedy intake plenum chamber that does the same thin

after researching sa transport i now know i need the coil overs and after market front seats engineered has anyone been through this process yet.

z32 afm are they aloud or do i just find standard afm

thanks for any advice

n1 turbos will pass

get some standard bovs and plumb them in like youve said

cooler piping shouldnt be an issue if youve got a standard front mount and plenum (i went through with nismo intake pipes)

z32 wont pass, need standard (i got through with nismo's coz they look standard)

engineering coilovers can be done but seats cant unless theyre adr approved (so brides are a no no)

after owning the car for 3yrs now i got my first defect for ground clearance being 80mm not 100mm

after going for my first inspection i soon realised the whole car gets inspected..lol

here are my stupid question..do n1 one turbo pass as standard turbo for r34 gtr cause atm i have trust t51

i have hks fmc piping kit with hks bov that vent to the atmosphere.. do i just buy factory bov and do they just bolt straight in and plum them back.

why can you have a fmic that increases air flow but cant have greedy intake plenum chamber that does the same thin

after researching sa transport i now know i need the coil overs and after market front seats engineered has anyone been through this process yet.

z32 afm are they aloud or do i just find standard afm

thanks for any advice

basically none of that will pass unless you spend thousands of dollars engineering the car, what I would do is go back to stock intake plenum, stock exhaust manifolds with -5 etc twin turbos (oem replacement with bigger wheels), standard AFMs, retune with a stock ECU with nistune.

You can't use Z32 for 2 reasons, 1 you have a single turbo conversion (will never pass), and 2 it didn't come with a z32 afm. You could get a green sticker for the afm but as you need to go back to twins I wouldn't even think about this again.

The FMIC vs intake argument is sound but regency will never agree so don't bother going there. Coil overs that are adjustable cannot be passed unless you have a perch welded onto them that makes them above or equal to legal height, as you probably don't want to do this install stock suspension to pass.

Seats unless ADR approved cannot be passed unless you pay an engineer to figure out if it meets ADRs and write up the appropriate paper work.

Bov must be removed and all standard intake piping put back with the stock twin turbo intake/exhaust.

I'm guessing you also have aftermarket ECU and injectors, all of this has to go as well and go back to stock, the best way to get through regency is with a nistune in the stock ECU and injectors that are painted the same colour as stock.

The final option is pay someone to swap all stock gear in, pass it at regency then put all your gear back, but this gets expensive if you have to do it each time you get defected, I would instead do as mentioned above and covnert back to -5s etc twin turbos.

Welcome to the game that is modified cars, gets expensive fast.

• Like 1

Thanks rolls. I still do have twins trust t51z std intake pipes..I'm going to contact one of sa transport recommended engineers and talk about the coil overs and seats and try get them engineered. the rest ive nearly sourced all the std stuff, turbos afm bov and already have std ecu with nistune just need to unplug my pfc I hope I just limp there lol