SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

It needs to run properly, they will ask to drive it around the block if they suspect it isn't running properly or is too loud/has a locker.

Just make sure the nistune matches the injector sizes and don't boost it.

Hey all

I recently bought my 1st Skyline ( R33 known as outcast) and i got defected for:

- Aftermarket Intercooler

- Pod Filter

- Aftermarket Rocker/Engine cover

- BOV

- Boost guage

- Computer Boost controller

- Aftermarket steering wheel

A few things i don't understand is the Pod Filter is clamped down and doesn't move at all so i was under the impression it was fine? The BOV is a GFB Stealth that is Plumbed back and i was told that was fine also? and most of all the steering wheel is an ADR approved MOMO.

My main concern is will it pass with my HKS 25/40 turbo?, greddy mainfold? and is the trust intercooler or will i need to remove it? Also the rocker cover is a stock one except it has clear perspex in the middle with OUTCAST drilled into it so what makes that illegal?

I know barely anything about skylines as ive never owned one ive fixed/replaced everything i know wont pass (removed coilovers, fitted child anchorage points, removed gauges, hidden aftermarket ecu, removed tint,

etc)

any help would be appreciated

cheers lachlan

Aftermarket intercooler is not a problem unless you had to cut the reo bar. BOV has to be standard, regency do not like anything but standard. Computer Boost Controller or Electronic Boost controller is not legal either. Boost gauge is acceptable just depends on the location it is installed at and doubt that the rocker cover its going to give you too much trouble as well.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever been pulled over due to the E85 smell? Wondering how the local enforcement look on E85 tuned cars

Well it has lower amounts of all the nasty emissions so if they give you shit you should school them on it.

Hey all

I recently bought my 1st Skyline ( R33 known as outcast) and i got defected for:

- Aftermarket Intercooler

- Pod Filter

- Aftermarket Rocker/Engine cover

- BOV

- Boost guage

- Computer Boost controller

- Aftermarket steering wheel

A few things i don't understand is the Pod Filter is clamped down and doesn't move at all so i was under the impression it was fine? The BOV is a GFB Stealth that is Plumbed back and i was told that was fine also? and most of all the steering wheel is an ADR approved MOMO.

My main concern is will it pass with my HKS 25/40 turbo?, greddy mainfold? and is the trust intercooler or will i need to remove it? Also the rocker cover is a stock one except it has clear perspex in the middle with OUTCAST drilled into it so what makes that illegal?

I know barely anything about skylines as ive never owned one ive fixed/replaced everything i know wont pass (removed coilovers, fitted child anchorage points, removed gauges, hidden aftermarket ecu, removed tint,

etc)

any help would be appreciated

cheers lachlan

change the turbo and manifold, boost controller and bov back to stock, the rest is fine if you haven't cut the reo bar, call up regency and they will confirm.

aftermarket turbos will never pass unless you do a full emissions test and get an engineers report

Also hiding the ECU isnt good enough, they will ask you to remove the kick panel and show that you have a stock ECU installed, some guys will even unplug it to make sure it isn't fake so either put it in a standard case or go standard ECU + nistune.

You probably also have a Z32 afm and maybe injectors? they all need to go back to stock as well.

There is a reason highflows + nistune are so popular, they are basically the only way you can go through regency with 260kw and pass.

Edited by Rolls

• 2 weeks later...

They don't want factory ones - they want Aus Standards ones. Our R33 has 3 of them that appear to have been fitted during compliance. 2 are bolted to steel brackets that are on top of the speakers, the 3rd one is in the middle of the shelf & screws into a nut that is pop-riveted into the metal under the parcel shelf. The 2 over the speakers have bolts going through the speaker grills. Any compliance workshop should be able to sell you the fittings or install them for you.

Hey...

Got defected in Melbourne but originally from Sydney. Had nsw plates on the car but a Vic license..long story short the HWY patrol officer got me for carbon fibre bonnet, tires being bald (although the tread markers were just visually showing).

And the third item to make it a major defect was my HEAD LIGHTS were yellowing.( all they needed was a good clean)!!!!!

I thought all I would get was a warning! But noo!

So then began a whole bunch of research. As stated by the HWY patrol officer there was a possibility the bonnet was Legal!!!

So I read into the department of infrastructures document on modified vehicles, which stated that fiberglass and composite material bonnets need to be 3.5mm thick excluding the gel coat!

So! Step one on compliance was obtained! As the bonnet was thicker.

But sadly after a call to the manufacture the bonnet wasn't ADR approved and is too expensive too! About 50K. (apparently)

After all that I put the stock hood back on and tucked my tail between my legs all the way to get a road worthy!!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, just looking for a heads up, pretty sure a cop followed me for a while tonight and it got me thinking. Just got my Stag a couple weeks ago(loving it!) but it came with perhaps a few too many gauges ;) Haha i know they look crap, when i've got some extra $$ I'm gonna sort out some options.
But anywho, would I get defected on these:

IMG_1369.jpg

As far as I'm aware the bloke did get a defect on tint and got it through regency however not sure if this was before or after the gauges were added. I seem to be reading that if there's anyway you can hit them in impact they're no good - there's no way my head is gonna fit there!

Also it came with a turbo timer hidden in the coin slot? I don't see why turbo timers are ilegal though! my fault if someone steals my car while its on.

Cheers!

Edited by sekay1994

Personally I would get rid of the turbo timer as you don't really need one. The gauges shall be fine as long as they are not above the top of the dash line, as mentioned above ^^^.

The only real problem I can see from a cops point of view would be that you are not clearly able to see the speedometer.

Get rid of volts and vacuum as they are completely unnecessary especially as you already have 2 other boost gauges (hint they do the same thing), move them around so you can see your speedo properly and you will be fine.

Also get rid of the turbo timer, it is a fire risk and unnecessary, plus a defect (because it is a fire risk).

Edited by Rolls