SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

Cheers guys, yeah I'm thinking nicer gauges down the line, only really wanna keep boost and oil temp. For the record when I am driving I can see all of my speedometer and revs but I'm sure a cop wouldn't believe that haha.

How do I get rid of the turbo timer appropriately? I have no knowledge of them, and also a fire risk you say?

A gauge is a gauge, what is a "nicer" one going to do? waste of money

Fire hazard as if you crash your car and get a fuel leak, you turn the ignition off and get out the car, engine keeps running pumping fuel into the mess, if you have a fire it will just keep fuelling it and nothing you can do. You need to get the wiring diagram and figure out what it is wired into, or pay someone to remove it for you.

Only really need boost gauge for tuning, otherwise the stock one is good enough to see when you are on full boost or not.

Edited by Rolls

I disagree that they are a fire risk - unless they are incorrectly wired in, turbo timers need to have the park brake fully engaged in order for them to activate - otherwise the car just turns off.

So in the case of an accident, unless you put your park brake on before turning the car off then it won't activate at all.

This guys magna burnt to the ground because of a turbo timer, remember reading about it years ago, engine kept running after the fire started and just pumped huge amounts of fuel into the fire.

http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-37918.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ULZws-7uEDUJ:www.aussiemagna.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-37918.html+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Edited by Rolls

I have never seen a turbo timer wired to a park brake before, and it wouldn't help much in the event of an accident now would it. As above I would get it removed professionally. There is no need for a turbo timer on a water cooled turbo.

• Like 1

Well yeah just for the record guys, my Turbo Timer IS wired to only work with my Park Brake on but yeah it does seem unnecessary. However i'll leave it till i've got some more cash floating around to get it done properly

all 3 of my cars Timers were wired to the park brake. Current car, I have removed the timer myself, already had connectors on the wires so I only had to cut the earth as it was spliced into another wire. So easy to put back in should I choose to.

Just google the wiring diagram, its pretty simple to remove yourself if you want to.

I have never seen a turbo timer wired to a park brake before, and it wouldn't help much in the event of an accident now would it. As above I would get it removed professionally. There is no need for a turbo timer on a water cooled turbo.

+1

-D

• 3 months later...

Just curious on how many people are rolling around with a highmount set up and have gotten away with it? Haha

Any decent cop will defect you for it and you'll never pass regency without a full engineers cert with emissions test. You can make 350rwkw on a gts-t and > 400kw on a gtr with highflowed OEM replacements, technically not legal but unless they drop your intake piping and measure the compressor they will never get you for it. Afaik they never go to the above effort anyway. Unless you like doing turbo swaps for fun on the weekend imo this is the only way to modify a street car if you drive it daily and want to avoid defects.

Edited by Rolls

Any decent cop will defect you for it and you'll never pass regency without a full engineers cert with emissions test. You can make 350rwkw on a gts-t and > 400kw on a gtr with highflowed OEM replacements, technically not legal but unless they drop your intake piping and measure the compressor they will never get you for it. Afaik they never go to the above effort anyway. Unless you like doing turbo swaps for fun on the weekend imo this is the only way to modify a street car if you drive it daily and want to avoid defects.

+1

If I had my time again, I would have gotten a high flow for my RB30 rather than the GT3076R...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lucky enough to be pulled over almost each time the cars been taken out and they look, but never said anything about it - luckily. However as mentioned the car is now engineered so the ring doesn't pucker up each time see the men in blue

I've been lucky enough to be pulled over almost each time the cars been taken out and they look, but never said anything about it - luckily. However as mentioned the car is now engineered so the ring doesn't pucker up each time see the men in blue

Sounds pretty good, who does the engineering certification in SA?

^^^ don't feel safe with an engineering certificate - if police suspect somethig is illegal they will STILL defect you - their response is: defect first, then let Regency sort it out. I know of plenty of cases where police told people that their engineering cert is not worth shit. And of course this makes sense - you could have changed anything at all since the engineering cert to make the car illegal.

^^^ don't feel safe with an engineering certificate - if police suspect somethig is illegal they will STILL defect you - their response is: defect first, then let Regency sort it out. I know of plenty of cases where police told people that their engineering cert is not worth shit. And of course this makes sense - you could have changed anything at all since the engineering cert to make the car illegal.

It will mean something to regency though, eg you can have modifications that you other wise couldn't so you don't have to go part swapping.

Cop can defect a brand new car if they want, nothing will stop that.

True Andrew - thankfully been lucky enough to date with the high-mount etc. as is even when been pulled over police have been fine (obviously not doing anything stupid at the time).

Good thing about the whole car being engineered is that done correctly it is lodged to the transport department along with everything on the car and it's in the database. Bonus being the engineering personnel doing it is well known by Sapol.

As always, depends who pulls you over.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys does anyone know if I can change the engine number from a defected vehicle to another chassis and it'll go through? In other words I have a defected skyline but I brought another one that's not defected and decided to put the motor from the defected into the new one, can I still change the engine number on the new one?

You need to put in an application to change engine number, if it is the same engine they will do it in 5 minutes, if it is a different or larger capacity one they may send you back a list of conditions that you must meet and have a full inspection to prove that you have done the items.

Defected should not make any difference.