SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

I couldn't possibly imagine it would be under $10k to get a turbo kit and all the associated things engineered (fuel system, intake, exhaust system, emissions etc etc).

Regency DO give you the certificate to say that you are roadworthy, but how does a cop know just because you went to Regency last week, that the car is still in the identical shape it went through Regency? The VAST majority of owners get defected then stock their car out back to factory (often costing thousands), go through Regency and have the defect taken off, then within hours all of the previous mods/turbos/whatever are re-fitted to the car and they are on their way. Hell, there are a couple of mobs around town that have a drive in/drive out service where they will stock out your car for inspection, then refit all of the previous goodies - for a decent fee of course. You really need to go and read this thread from page one and hear all the defect/Regency stories. Very intentionally cops/Regency have made it an absolute nightmare to own a modified car. In a lot of ways they have won :(

And no, you definitely can't sue the police in that scenario - if they SUSPECT that your car is illegal they have the absolute right to send you to Regency. That is the law. I know people who have been to Regency more than 20 times in the same car. I also know of people who have had their engineering certificates laughed at by the cops as they wrote them their defect notice.

Most people don't care about having a car engineered or the legality of mods. They run the risk , and then when caught stock it out, pass Regency and re-fit all the goodies. Sadly in the case of our cars to de-turbo for inspection then re-turbo a car post-inspection is a MASSIVE cost and you would not run the risk.

Or be like 99% of every modified car owner and accept the risks of being defected and the pain in putting it all back to stock to clear it

And enjoy it in between

Oh shit this is f**ked!! My build is too extreme to be able to restock it then rebuild it every time. I have way too many parts invested into this, would cost me shit loads!!

Not sure what to do now? I have already bought all the parts and I don't really want to drive around without a roadworthy certificate and then get busted.

But I got an e-mail back from DPTI who are saying I am able to do the turbo conversion provided it goes through the correct procedures and correct testing. And they also stated their is 2 emission testing facilities in SA, Bells Auto and Graham West Workshop.

They just said I have to submit the application for modification and they will give me the statement of requirements.

Got another email from DPTI saying I can be approved for adding a turbocharger system to a NA engine, even though my engine was never produced from factory with a turbocharger before.

Going to call Martin tommorow to get his opinion.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...