SAU Community

BOV legalities??

ARKAD

i know this has probably been covered however i thought i would ask anyway. Just wondering what the law states re the installation of BOV's.

I have been hearing a lot of talk re valves that vent into the atmosphere are illegal. I just had the relevant documents faxed to me and they dont say anything about it. The documents say that you can fit them, as long as they arent to loud, making specific refference to 'whistles'.

There is no mention in the docs that they sent me of how loud they are allowed to be.. something like 91db ive heard?? So i just asked the guy straight out if they were legal, and he said no. So im guessing i have to remove my BOV now, which is a litte bit annoying only for the fact that i only had it fitted 2 weeks ago, and they didnt mention till after they had fitted it that it wasnt exaclty legal :wave:

Can someone clear it up for me? The Information I was sent makes it seem as tho its possible to fit one as long as its not too loud?

Thanks

ok.

any blow off valve is legal. so long as it does not exced 90db in wank noise.

and does not make your car EPA illegal for your year of manafacture.

i was about to get ****ed over for lots of things the other weekend. only got a defect for height. the officer knew what i was on about.

dont let them fine you for BOV. authough, you will get fined if you make BOV noises all around the place.

Just reading waynes post.. I was under the impression that every BOV is illegal.

No matter how much noise it makes... If the noise factor was the cause, the guys that defected me didn't do anything about it except tell me to take it off.. and if they had have got me to rev it, they wouldn't have heard it working anyway because my standard BOV was connected at the same time, so the BLITZ one was doing nothing..

**** I wish our laws were consistent and people knew (police officers/DOT) knew what they were talking about and gave the same story each time.

thanks erin...:) did you cop a fine for the defect or is it just a notice to remove the 'whistle'. there seems to be a lot of debate as to what is and isnt legal.. at this point more ppl seem to think that they are illegal... in saying that i personally hope motox is right... im just trying to find out so that im not voiding my insurance... :D

ring up DOT, ask them if an atmo blow off vale is legal.

they will say so long as its under 90db of noise and it does not polute your car higher then the EPA levels that are set for your year of manafacture.

i got ****ed over the other weekend, they did not defect me for the BOV, i was talking to the cop about it.

ARKAD tell you insurance company that you have a BOV. i listed half of my mods, and had to stop else they wont insure me for just 3rd party. half of the stuff you tell them they have no idear about, eg EBC Boost Controler. and when they ask what does it do, you say, it makes my car run cleaner and better.

insurance is gay. we been ****ed over with a bit fire we had in out buildings, drive propley, learn to drive. dont be stupid, and dont crash, then you wont need to worry about your insurance.

o and i need new tyres :(

Ok, just rang the DOT, and as per Motox's post they are legal. as long as they still comply with EPA standards etc and are not louder than 90db. They gave me the number of a guy who was supposed to be able to test my car for noise. He indicated that for my car the test they would do is a drive by.

The car needs to be at specific revs, in a specific gear and the valve has to blow at the exact time that it passes the meter... he didnt seem too keen test my car and commented that the cops were going overboard with defecting cars, and that the cost would be prohibitive ($500) (i think the DOT had given out his home number a few too many times.to spite that he was very helpful tho.)

He is faxing me the diagram and instructions for testing on monday, but said i would probably have to have it done by someone 'registered' if it were to have any amount of legal standing.

So as far as i can tell, they are legal, as long as EPA and noise requirments are met.

How you can prove it is another matter.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Cheers

Hayden

Thats good news Hayden,

which then brings us back to why do "you or I" have to prove that it is under 90DB and meets EPA Ratings for the year of the car.

Shouldn't the cops have to "prove" that it is over 90DB or that it isn't meeting emission ratings?

If that is not the case then this, in my mind, is what is wrong with the system i.e the police with their immeasurable resources and finances, can just keep giving you defects as often as they want (whether the car is defective or not) and you then have spend your time and money to prove that it is not.

In fact I work next door to some lawyers, I am gunna ask them.

Stayed tuned.

Remember to add the culmulative total of income loss calculated for the rest of your projected working life because of the mental incapcitation you suffered and inability to work you have incurred

Added to that, the loss of income due to the social oucast you've become and downgrading of employability.

Add receipts for to-date rehab (I can forge them for you) and estimated continuation of rehab till you're 65 y/o.

Maybe some community carer benefits? (for me and andrew)

I think you have a case Erin...you and me can take 'em - I'm betting upward of $65m hey? PM and we can set a date to work it all out?