SAU Community

Factory Xenon Globes In Series 2 Stagea

RS4StagMan

I just ordered a new set of xenons replacement globes for my Series 2 Stagea.

Locally I got quoted $365 each from Bursons and then found some on Ebay for $50 a pair delivered from Hong Kong (thanks SAU search engine). The ebay sellers user name is "sharperdeal" for anybody that wants to look them up.

My lights were not touched at all during compliance as I specifically said to the compliance shop not to touch them- I wanted original lights!

Looks like the factory ones are D2R Xenons of about 4000K color temperature. The replacements I got were 6000K which are a little more 'whiter' than the 4000K ones however should last about the same as the 4000k's. Light output is similar but I think the 4000K's do put out a little bit more luminous intensity.

Anyway here are a few steps for those, like me, were a little confused on how to change them;

1. Remove top plug that connects into back of lights.

2. Remove grey swivel plastic cover plate (note a rubber grommet attached to it) that looks like a 4 inch circle to expose the back of the light by twisting slowly an inch or so then pull off the cover

You will see that step 1 needs to happen first as without it you cant get the cover off.

3. Now remove the stainless steel looking cap off the back of the lamp connection. To do this just use a screw driver and to remove the TWO clips, then this steel cover will come off.

Do not try to unscrew the 3 screws that you can see- these do not need removing.

4. Next release (bout do not remove) the two wire clips that hold the Xenon lamp in its place. They can stay where they are now until you do the next step.

5. CAREFULLY rotate the globe still in its holder and with the braided looking cable connector still connected, through 90 degrees to clear the connection to the globe base and pull out the whole base with the globe still in.

6. This will give you enough length to be able to rotate the globe out of its holder and replace with the new one.

Then reverse the above to reinstate.

The below is an image of the back of the light assembly with the plastic grey cover removed (step 2) showing the steel cover over the globe holder.

Hope this helps somebody out as I searched and searched and couldn't find anything on here.

PS. I found the below photo on SAU, so hope that the person who took it doesn't mind me posting it up again!

Edited by RS4StagMan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Any chance on getting a photo of the way the globe mounts into the headlight? I am replacing the dodgy regular globe adapter that was put in during compliance with the original ballasts and hid globes.. but i think theres a part missing. You say there's clips that hold the globe in? I think im going to have to manufacture something up myself..

• 6 months later...
FYI,

I bought the $50 HID globes from e bay also. They are great, had them in for 8 months now no problems. Car originally came with 10,000k. Couldnt see a thing. 4300k work a treat.

one of my main xenons seems to have given it in :down:

had a bit of a mission figuring oout how to get them out. but was all good :P would have been helpful to have read this thread first though!! haha

how do i know which ones they were? cos i quite liked them!!

i'll get some from ebay and "sharperdeal" once i know which ones i'll need! they were quite white/blue so i'd say they were higher in the range!

theres a number on the side F73J0969

xenon.jpg

Edited by atomaly

quick question, does anyone know why the factory HID's are removed during compliance? to the best of my knowledge, the difference between legal and illegal xenon setups, is that they have to be height adjustable, so that they don't blind people, yet stageas come with the height adjustability...

The Stagea's have a height switch, but to be legal in Aus, they have to be automatic levelling.

Just put HID's in my S2. All of the original wiring was still there - just plugged them in. :down:

quick question, does anyone know why the factory HID's are removed during compliance? to the best of my knowledge, the difference between legal and illegal xenon setups, is that they have to be height adjustable, so that they don't blind people, yet stageas come with the height adjustability...

andd they also have to have light- washers, that pop out from underneath where the lights in the front body kit and spray a dash of water across the lights.

hmmmm, my dad drives an x-type jag and i'm near certain that his (factory) hid's don't have any washer mechanism... i'm not even sure that they're have auto-levelling abilities, lol.

hmmmm, my dad drives an x-type jag and i'm near certain that his (factory) hid's don't have any washer mechanism... i'm not even sure that they're have auto-levelling abilities, lol.

just bought some D2R 6000K from "sharperdeal" looking forward to them :rofl:! (i pretty much think thats what my current ones were)

did some googling and this is what a definition of the colours by measure of Kevlins are (but they can differ depending on manufacturer and a heap of other things)

Yellow:

1500 k Candlelight

2700-2900 k Yellow painted fog halogen bulbs

-------------------------------

Yellowish white:

3200 k Sunrise/sunset

3200 k Premium H7 non painted halogen bulb

3400 k 1 hour from dusk/dawn

-------------------------------

White:

4100 k Philips/Osram OEM HID D2S

5500 k Bright sunny daylight around noon

----------------

Blueish white

5500-5600 k Electronic photo flash

6000 k Philips Ultinon HID D2S

6500-7500 k Overcast sky

-----------------

Blue:

9000-12000 k Blue sky

-----------------

Purple:

28000 Northern sky

12000-30000 k Ultra Violet light (black light)

---------------------------------

well the Xenons turned up today from 'sharperdeal'

cant wait to put them in tonight!

i got told by someone not to touch the actual glass as it may reduce the life from finger grease left ? :)

i know thats true with some light globes, not sure about xenons though?

:blink: i'll post up a pic of the results tonight!!

pity i didnt have any before and after shots to show.

errr yes its VERY true, do NOT touch the glass.

yep, just did a bit of research! :)

i will have an alcoholic wipe on hand incase it accidentally happens putting it in. i did notice one of them looked like it had been opened (maybe by customs??), so i might wipe that one with an alcoholic wipe anyway to make 100% sure.

well i got them in :( after a while friggin in the riggin! haha

look good..

although i did notice one looks slightly different from the other :D

and the covers they came in were almost the same but a tad different..

maybe they might take a while to 'burn in' ?

stageanewlights2.jpg

pretty much the same colour as they were before though :)

thats actually the first thing i've done in regards to my car :thumbsup:

(and yep the guy that parks next to me obviously spends all his money on rent and ......?)

Edited by atomaly

okay as i've had them in for a while, there is a very distinct colour difference, i've emailed 'sharperdeal' and they're replacing them for me cos of the difference!! (with 8000k's this time, as i thought the 6000K's are a bit too bright for city driving (mainly for other cars to avoid them running into me))

they've also asked me to 'cut the nubs off' and email them a picture.. but i dont see what use that will do other than make them unusable?!

okay as i've had them in for a while, there is a very distinct colour difference, i've emailed 'sharperdeal' and they're replacing them for me cos of the difference!! (with 8000k's this time, as i thought the 6000K's are a bit too bright for city driving (mainly for other cars to avoid them running into me))

they've also asked me to 'cut the nubs off' and email them a picture.. but i dont see what use that will do other than make them unusable?!

To prove they are faulty and you are not trying to pull a swifty past the seller, assuming they didn't ask you to return the 6000k units

I guess they figure that you probably wouldn't be prepared to do that if the one's you have were fine and you were just trying to get a spare set without paying.

Edited by iamhe77