SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

From here :banana:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ru...ml#entry4331458

Post the chat/questions etc, and that way the other thread stays clean :ninja:

hhaah had to LOL at R31 Nismoid! nice one for getting the e8400 clocked to over 4.1ghz, how does it go on a 40 degree day? are you running that all the time or do yuo "declock" quite regularly? .... nice work! Are you doing that through BIOS?

Its like that 24x7

Ive actually upped the clock to 4.3ghz (1.29vcore), and its been stable for a week so

Ran linpack (arguably the best CPU stress test) and it ran fine for 7 passes :laugh:

My heat is low (ive lapped the CPU, changed the CPU Heat sink fan, case fans etc) so i reckon a 40 degree day, no worries

And yeah, all done via BIOS - the only true way

Nice work on the new thread and the Ocing. Have you run a 3d mark test? would be interesting to see what ya score?

Is there many games these days that need that kind of PC speed? i think the modern gamnes are now more GPU hungry, is there any advantage of me ocing the cpu?

Interesting to see how the new i7 cores clock compared to the trusty e8400s!

Gees 4ghz, looks like i have some more clocking to do i think i am getting CPU envy ehhehe!

ok gurus. i can get this setup cheap (under 400 bucks cheap)

ASUS M2N-MX-SE- PLUS M/B

2X1GB DDRII 667 KINGSTON, ASUS 256MB 7300GT PCI X VIDEO CARD

250GB WD SATA II 7200RPM HDD

20X LITE ON DVD-+ DUAL LAYER SATA BURNER, 21 IN ONE CARD READER

DELUXE MINITOWER CASE FRONT USB, USB SPEAKERS

Is this gonna be any good?

I usually play COD4, age3 and a few other random games.

Im guessing the video card isnt the best but that can be upgraded later.

Nice work on the o/c ash.

last time I tried that stuff (old ass AMD chip) i melted just about everything lol =\

^^ its not a bad price for $400... but IMO if you hold out until the end of Q1 next year as the new i7 stuff becomes much more avaliable, you'll be able to pickup some very very good bargains, much better than that (which isnt 'too bad', but nothing great considering $1000 more gets you a what i have, and everything brand new, warranty etc etc)

Nice work on the new thread and the Ocing. Have you run a 3d mark test? would be interesting to see what ya score?

Is there many games these days that need that kind of PC speed? i think the modern gamnes are now more GPU hungry, is there any advantage of me ocing the cpu?

Interesting to see how the new i7 cores clock compared to the trusty e8400s!

Gees 4ghz, looks like i have some more clocking to do i think i am getting CPU envy ehhehe!

I ran 3dmark06 and if memory serves me correct i was around 13,500?

Or it might have been 7,500... whatever sounds more correct... i honestly cant remember. Will do it again over the next day or two and find out

Ye mainly GPU hungry, but then if im zipping/encoding etc, and what not it does help a bit (a quad would be best, but not really what i want/$$ gain etc)

The i7's are clocking hard too :P

What cpu is inc in that $400 setup or is that without a chip?

also r31 nismoid, you used the word "lapped" when referring to your cpu, is that the same as clocked or a new techie word i have not heard before?

See here :P

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=82

Basically to get better heat transferrence through to the heat sink so you can use more volts etc through the CPU but keep it cool

Heat is the enemy :)

What cpu is inc in that $400 setup or is that without a chip?

also r31 nismoid, you used the word "lapped" when referring to your cpu, is that the same as clocked or a new techie word i have not heard before?

oops left that bit out...

AMD ATHLON DUAL CORE X2 4200+ CPU

Nah i wouldn't bother

I had a 3200+ and in all honesty, im so glad ive upgraded, its was beyond fken slow mate... even running vista, twice as many background programs now etc etc, its still leagues faster.

IMO save the $400, make it $1400 and have a ripper PC that will clean up.

Quads will come down nicely in price too by end of Q1

Ive actually upped the clock to 4.3ghz (1.29vcore), and its been stable for a week so

Ran linpack (arguably the best CPU stress test) and it ran fine for 7 passes :P

That is a great o/c and such a low v.core, most results I've seen with a 4'ish ghz (E8400) have hi 1.3X-low 1.4v.core's. So, you picked nicely from the lucky dip of CPUs, and also, the EP45-DS4P seems to be bit faster/ efficient than the EP45-DS3 series.

What sort of max load CPU temps you seeing on the stress tests? Currently I have the E8400 o/c @ 4.18ghz (523x8) w/ 1.37vcore and can manage 20odd stable passes with Linpack before temps reach 70degrees but, thats with a crappy heatsink.

I ran 3dmark06 and if memory serves me correct i was around 13,500?

Or it might have been 7,500... whatever sounds more correct... i honestly cant remember. Will do it again over the next day or two and find out

Your total score would've been around 13,500. Think I got close to 3,600 CPU score on 3DMark06. Cinebench10 is also a good CPU benchmark test you might want to try.

I ran Linpack before i left the house this morning, it crashed lol, but then i was only running on 1.25 vcore or there abouts, so my own fault, its fine for daily use @ that vcore and gaming, but Linpack is the most abusive test hehe :P

I upped it to around 1.27 (i think) and it did 2 passes and was all sweet again so i'd take a guess and say it'll be stable with more (all i had time for was 2 passes lol)

Temp max was 65 degree's this morning. I did get 58-60 last time i ran it, then it was fairly warm in my house this morning so that would explain it with ambient about 2-3c higher easily enough so im not too worried. 65 is the absolute max it'll ever get too, and whilst gaming im generally around 55 degree's or so which i reckon isnt bad. Ive lapped the CPU/CPU heat sink and also upgraded the fan so hence good temps like that.

Idle temps are roughly 35 degree's or so when its about 22 or so in my place.

My CPU is E0 stepping though, seems the E0's for the most part are doing it a bit easier (looking at some decent O/C sites)

I take it yours is a C0?

Im running 480x9 and mine is loving it, ram is 1:1 atm.

I will get 4.5 on air, im determined to get it. But anything over 480fsb it just shuts down so i think ive gotta increase a few volts elsewhere.

Not much info on my board/bios about the net so im sorta wading through it slowly as there are slight differences.

So what shoulod be the max temp you would like the CPU to hit. When i run OTTC i think it was called it was hitting 61degrees only clocked to 3.3g.

Also is there any forum you guys know of for getting some good and cheap GFX cards, kinda like the SAU of the PC world :-)

Forum in Oz would be good

My CPU is E0 stepping though, seems the E0's for the most part are doing it a bit easier (looking at some decent O/C sites)

I take it yours is a C0?

Im running 480x9 and mine is loving it, ram is 1:1 atm.

I will get 4.5 on air, im determined to get it. But anything over 480fsb it just shuts down so i think ive gotta increase a few volts elsewhere.

Not much info on my board/bios about the net so im sorta wading through it slowly as there are slight differences.

ahh..the E0 revision, makes sense now and yeah I've got the C0 stepping E8400.

What's your RAM voltage set atm? Auto should be fine if you have 1066Mhz; or you might have to up the northbridge voltage a bit, as you are nearing 500fsb.

Also, if you havent already checked it out the OCAU forums (Overclockers Australia) is a pretty good source for the latest product info/ reviews.

So what shoulod be the max temp you would like the CPU to hit. When i run OTTC i think it was called it was hitting 61degrees only clocked to 3.3g.

Also is there any forum you guys know of for getting some good and cheap GFX cards, kinda like the SAU of the PC world :-)

Forum in Oz would be good

I measure via real temp 2.70, that's the latest version

65 is the MAX under linpack, really don't want it much hotter than that.

OTTC should be under 60 ideally. Perhaps you need a better CPU cooler, or a better fan on the cooler (and better case fans)

61 is ok though, its just nothing brilliant... but then you haven't lapped the CPU and so on which can reduce anywhere from 5-15 degree's depending on how smooth the chip was to start with.

Just look on www.staticice.com.au

You'll soon find the cheapest prices generally.

ahh..the E0 revision, makes sense now and yeah I've got the C0 stepping E8400.

What's your RAM voltage set atm? Auto should be fine if you have 1066Mhz; or you might have to up the northbridge voltage a bit, as you are nearing 500fsb.

Also, if you havent already checked it out the OCAU forums (Overclockers Australia) is a pretty good source for the latest product info/ reviews.

haha ye E0 :domokun:

I made sure it was a E0 one when i brought it.

It think ram is around 2.1V, maybe a bit less. I just set it there are its still below the max and i have a ram cooler so it'll be fine in those respects.

Currently the ram is right on the button of 1000mhz i think (if my mobo is telling the truth ;))

Although my ram says its one thing in CPUZ, yet the box/ram says otherwise lol, so i got no idea. Either way its working fine where it is so i doubt its the ram

OCAU doesnt really have what i want ive found, im looking more on xtremesystems.org and other places which seem to have a lot more info, and worldwide too so lots of info at that.

^^^

Meh, My old my old office link computer was still in service until last month, which I throw it out as garbage

Cryix 686 166Mhz CPU

16Mb Ram (upped to 80Mb)

1.6Gb HDD (also added a 2nd 6Gb HDD, paid $300 for it!!!)

Some kind of 1Mb PCI video card (Could run Mech Warrior 2 on max detail & max resolution, which was 640x480 :))

14" CRT colour Monitor

8x CD reader

Creative Sound blaster 16bit Sound card

EDIT: PS you guys are going insane with the OCs :banana:

Edited by Mayuri Krab

I just installed my 5.1 yamaha sound system through fibre optic cable into the PC!

Sounds INSANE! just started playing fallout 3 now!

Honestly spending the extra cash on this over my old low end logitech 5.1 was prob one of the best things, the vibrations from the subwoofer is fantastic!

• 1 month later...
^^^

Meh, My old my old office link computer was still in service until last month, which I throw it out as garbage

Cryix 686 166Mhz CPU

16Mb Ram (upped to 80Mb)

1.6Gb HDD (also added a 2nd 6Gb HDD, paid $300 for it!!!)

Some kind of 1Mb PCI video card (Could run Mech Warrior 2 on max detail & max resolution, which was 640x480 :D )

14" CRT colour Monitor

8x CD reader

Creative Sound blaster 16bit Sound card

EDIT: PS you guys are going insane with the OCs ;)

I still have a 286 that still actually fully works :)

- Intel 80286 CPU

- 1MB ram

- 1.44MB 3.5' FDD

- 40MB HDD

- 14' CRT

- VGA Graphic card (don't know how many KBs in size - but can display 256 colours at 640x480 max)

- MS-DOS 5.0 with dos shell

- Panasonic Dot-matrix KX-P1180