SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

just format it doesnt take long and then your making sure everything is fresh

... Current Status Onboard with Driver

hahahah as i was typing this it arrived :D

Gotta say my Sandisk 240gb SSD is f**king phenominal.

Only takes a few seconds and I'm already bashing in my password, couple seconds later it's fully loaded the desktop.

It's a fresh install with a whole heap of re-installations of all my applications... So I'm yet to trim all the shitty background processes, applications and the boot process so it'll be even snappier once that's done. Even with 3 games, O/S and all my software loaded I've still got roughtly 150GB left. It'll be down to 100GB once i put Skyrim & a couple other games on but by the gods it's impressive over my RAID0 mech drive array (which in its own rights was very impressive).

I'll definatly take a mirror of it once it the O/S is all trimmed down so I can buzz it whenever i want.

Boot speed isn't even the best part!

I just love how with an SSD pretty much everything I do happens at an instant. Open Outlook, BAM! Open a browser, BAM! New tab, BAM! Games load so much faster. Battlefield 3 is a great example. You're into a game within 20 seconds.

There is a group of people who knock SSDs cause "why do I care if my machine boots 20 seconds faster?" but that's not telling the whole story. PCs with SSDs just do everything almost instantly.

I love my SSDs *cuddle*

and quieter also :D

My WD Blacks are quiet as? I can't hear them at all inside the case - cant really complain there. Plus the fans drown anything else out easily enough.

I have 4 drives in my case, and 4-5 drives in my server, no noise :)

Yeah true and a gfx card fan noise will cover any other ambient noise

I will be putting my old 60gb SSD into a 10" Dell inspirion mini so will be good to see how well it works on mini PC's with Atom processors

Yeah true and a gfx card fan noise will cover any other ambient noise

I will be putting my old 60gb SSD into a 10" Dell inspirion mini so will be good to see how well it works on mini PC's with Atom processors

I just put a cheapo OCZ Octane into my 6-7 year old Asus duo core. It's transformed it! Thing bloody flies now.

I don't have MS Orifice on my home PC. Got a work lappie & work PC that i can use that for... Although I might install word/excel only in the near future.

My 64GB used consists of:

Windows 7 64 Bit SP1 (fully updated now).

Firefox & Chrome Browsers

Starcraft 2

Battlefield 3

Nvidia GPU & ASUS sound card software

Steam (no games yet)

ASUS/Intel mobo suite/apps and full drivers etc

There is other miscellaneous shit like Fraps, Logitech mouse/keyboard software, uTorrent etc but it's all relatively tiny.