SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

Wow that is small! Not as small as the CM Elite 110 though :P.

I was considering getting that case, but wanted a GTX970. A couple months after I rebuilt my PC, they announced the 970 ITX.

haha yeah it isn't the smallest ITX case but it is perfect for my setup at home. Especially that the ports are out the top! so it will sit under the desk perfectly.

the Asus 970 is getting fantastic reviews as well. Interesting to see what it's actually like when i test it tonight.

yeah i have not yet had the chance to push it to see how it goes.

My Noctua cooler kept my CPU temp below 60 with prime95 going so i'm thrilled with that considering its size.

HOPEFULLY i can get a chance to test the card out tonight.

• 1 year later...

Changing my setup in the coming few days....

Going to the most expensive case i have bought by far!!!

NCase M1. This case is amazing as it fits a full length GPU and a 240mm Radiator. Inside this beaut ill be running a watercooled I7 6700k overclocked, 2x M.2 drives with a gtx 1080.  Thing will be a little monster. 

Image result for n case m1

• 1 month later...

All built. Currently I7 6700k Overclocked cooled with a 240mm Radiator. GTX 970 (mini) and 2x M.2 Drives for storage (no sata drives). This has been BY FAR the best pc case i have used. To put size into perspective, those are normal 120mm Fans that look huge in the case lol

20148636_456818231359711_1285050252_o.jpg?oh=afc1243bbe808f6781f202382650fd7e&oe=598A0553

20251395_458361097872091_1115396647_o.jpg?oh=cd28aff7069781b64e41f8cdb12a2bb9&oe=5989F271

20216321_458361221205412_430923639_o.jpg?oh=8443ccf0d6513216eb3e1ae1c20d4831&oe=598AF6AF

• Like 1

Decided not to get a 1080 as Volta (the new line up) is expected either late this year early next year so i'm holding off for that. 

My temps are:

MAX GPU: 86 under full load for 24 hours

MAX CPU: 65 degrees under prime95 for 24 hours 

The whole PC cools amazingly for the size it is. The two intake fans at the bottom blow air straight onto the GPU, well one does. My last case didn't take a full length GPU where as this one does. So when i get the new one it will be a full length card.

And the 240mm Radiator fans push through the radiator and then a 92mm on the rear exhausts it. The below photo was taken whilst testing, i since neatened up the cables and put the 92mm fan on the back mount that you can see is clear. as you can see there isn't much room, but it stays quite cool. Under normal gaming conditions it doesnt get above 60.

20227911_458361174538750_366134138_o.jpg?oh=4c27ef29c14b95abaf1149e27618aa4d&oe=5989E48E

You might get lucky and Nvidia could launch Volta early (late this year) if Vega actually delivers decent performance - given the vastly conflicting benchmark info leaking out it seems that there is a slim chance that AMD is significantly sandbagging performance on their frontier edition cards.

Its a decent amount of power you have crammed into that case and it seems to keep temps under control. I wish I could get mine down that small but work means I need huge quantities of ram (256GB) for VM lab environments so I am stuck with a massive case in order to fit a workstation board in it :(

I am trying to build an ATX board based "luggable" in a briefcase at the moment that has decent performance for taking to site - its mostly completed but am still waiting to be able to order a compact (~170mm) GPU in the 1070ish class that's not dramatically overpriced thanks to eth miners...  

4 hours ago, baron_von_bootsector said:

You might get lucky and Nvidia could launch Volta early (late this year) if Vega actually delivers decent performance - given the vastly conflicting benchmark info leaking out it seems that there is a slim chance that AMD is significantly sandbagging performance on their frontier edition cards.

Its a decent amount of power you have crammed into that case and it seems to keep temps under control. I wish I could get mine down that small but work means I need huge quantities of ram (256GB) for VM lab environments so I am stuck with a massive case in order to fit a workstation board in it

I am trying to build an ATX board based "luggable" in a briefcase at the moment that has decent performance for taking to site - its mostly completed but am still waiting to be able to order a compact (~170mm) GPU in the 1070ish class that's not dramatically overpriced thanks to eth miners...  

Yeah temps are fine, from what i can report on, this build runs no hotter than a normal full tower. Only way to run cooler is to run a better watercooler, but i wasn't about to spend $300 on the X62, that watercooler is the new coolermaster 240v for $89. Bloody bargain. ORR i could do a custom loop, but stuff that for a joke, you can fit them in these cases but i don't lean on it that much. 

Im expecting Volta Feb/March next year, though i agree they might drop it early depending on Vega. 

256GB is a massive amount, there is no way a small form factor can touch it.... Check this out for a piece of engineering, this would be the closest option in mini ITX

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-x299-itx-mini-itx-intel-computex,34586.html

In saying that you can get Micro ATX X299 motherboards that will take 256GB of ram, now THAT would be a build. Hell you could probably run SLI Cards on it as well. Noice.

Its a pretty decent cooler regardless of the price and I don't think you'd really get a much better result going up in the AIO or even from a custom loop really in that kind of space!

I am really hoping that we all get a big surprise from team red with the Vega release but even if it is the (rumored) significantly improved mining capabilities of the cards will likely make them impossible to get post launch. Would be nice to see Nvidia have to cut prices back down again but its a looking like an increasingly slim chance of AMD pulling it off. 

I ended up using two Nepton 140XL's in mine as they were bargains at the time and due the 130W-150W Xeons throw out serious heat when pushed. Going for something like the x299 or Threadripper in a compact case would be nice but I need ECC (well TR can do so - thanks for neutering your HEDT gear Intel!) and I am a cheapskate... My existing build is based off broken blade hardware so the 2xE5-2667v2 and the 256GB (16x16GB modules) of registered ECC cost less than $700 all up and an extra $200 for a new (ex service stock) Lenovo D30 motherboard.

I used to run SLI but gave up as the scaling / perf increase seems to be completely negligible for the $$$ in most titles these days - so have Nvidia / AMD by the look of their recent moves away from it. Async compute might make multi GPU relevant again but it has unfortunately SLI / CF seem to have been relegated mainly to the spec queen arena.      

the feeling i get from Nvidia and AMD is that SLI / CF just was not worth it. It will stay around for mining machines but for games it was just too difficult to get working most of the time, and even then game developers would have to write specifically for SLI. So you would just have people spend more time getting it to work than the 30% gain you got. 

I ran SLI for a while years ago (think they were 9800GTs or something :P) it was fun. Not everything worked, but still smashed most modern games at the time.
A good setup and cards or SLI is not going to save you from poor optimisation...