SAU Community

Pc Setup - Chat Thread

R31Nismoid

As long as he doesn't want to use any filtering/post processing and so on, trims up a MKV very nicely over standard

See i play around with that kinda stuff so i generally chase a bit more grunt

Everyone is a bit different in that regard

hi guiys just wonder what the go is with my comp, its a E8500 (stock 3.16). zymatec cooler, and ddr2 1066 ram.

i tryed OCing it a little as i didnt wanna go to crazy, so i tryed around 3.3-3.8, in a variety of differnt setups and everytime i turned it on, got the core temp reading and it was just getting hotter and hotter at idle, to the point i didnt even wanna atempt to run it thru OTTC or anything like that.

was about to give up, but did a little more reading, and decided to give it a go at 4.19ghz, 420bus 9.5x, and left the core voltage running on auto (generally sits around 1.54v) and its running sweet, only a few degrees over stock.

any ideas what the go is there? have i just found a sweet spot for it? is it gonna be a problem for the life of the CPU? (this is why i only wanted to OC a little)

am loving it at this speed, and if its not gonna bother it then ill leave it as is.

other than that, anyone had a go at overclocking a 285gtx nvidia card? think i wanna give it a little more ooomph

1.54 vore (if thats what CPU-Z shows)... then that is WAY over the limit for that chip.

Im pretty sure they are spec'd to a max of 1.45vcore...

You should NEVER run voltages on auto when overclocking heavily. Even minor clocks manually setting things is advised as often mobo's over/under volt.

ohhh, i tryed manual, but it kept blue screening, didnt matter where i put it

so its gonna pop at that voltage?

ok, so what you said scared me a bit, i tryed other voltages, and got nothing but a blue screen on startup, so ive set it back to stock. even on the stock 3.16ghz, its still sits at 1.375v in CPUZ, that seems a bit high to me for stock, ive read peeps running 1.25v with a mild overclock, WTF is going on???

Edited by boiracer

ok now im freakin out a little more. acording to intel my voltage range is 0.85-1.3625

done some MORE reading, and exceeding 1.4v on my chip is DONE AT OWN RISK ( i thought it all was :( ) as the 45nm cant take it as much as the 65mn units

but its running almost that straight up standard, ive even reset the bios to bog standard.....

You should NEVER run voltages on auto when overclocking heavily. Even minor clocks manually setting things is advised as often mobo's over/under volt.

so true, thnx heaps, no where in my hrs of reading did anyone mention not to run it at auto, ive now cranked it nicely down to 3.8ghz at 1.26v, uber stable, with icy cold temps, even in prime or OTTC or orthos im getting no more than 50 degrees

soi from what im running now, there is sooooo much room for ramping it up more, but im happy with 3.8ghz,thats what i was looking for in the first place.

on auto voltage it was always running 1.55v even at only 3.4ghz, hence why it was hotter at lower clocks i guess.

so heres the finished product, let me know what you think

E8500 3.16ghz (stock)

clocked to 3.8ghz 400fsb x 9.5 (standard multiplier)

Vcore 1.264 (CPU-Z) 1.30625v (bios)

idles at 29-30 degrees

full load stress test 47-50 degrees

ok now im freakin out a little more. acording to intel my voltage range is 0.85-1.3625

done some MORE reading, and exceeding 1.4v on my chip is DONE AT OWN RISK ( i thought it all was :P ) as the 45nm cant take it as much as the 65mn units

but its running almost that straight up standard, ive even reset the bios to bog standard.....

its not a question of taking it, its just that the chips are designed to operate in certain confines, and the 45nm process needs less than 65nm

I also got a bunch of D-Plugs and extenders to play with and see if I can make use of them in current/future watercooling loops.

Edited by DivHunter

• 4 weeks later...

I have been lazy and haven't installed a thing, but with good reason, no really. I bought a Lian Li PC-V351 Black with a DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS, GSkill Trident DDR2 1066 and E7500 to make a HTPC/LAN box which will go with a dual digital tv tuner and 9800GTX. Once that is together, which I think it jsut got delivered, then I'll dismantle the i7 and put the Classified block on.

My monstrosity of a HTPC/LAN box is complete and just needs a whole bunch of software installed. It's pretty terribad but it works. The Lian Li case was already modified for parts I don't have but the holes did come in handy. Mega tight fit to get the 9800GTX water cooling in place.

• 1 month later...

which of these is better:

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 945 CPU, 3.0GHz (125W), 8MB Cache, Sockets AM3/AM2+/AM2

4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

1 TB Hard Drive - SATA 2 with 16MB buffer

896MB Palit GF GTX 260+ Sonic (216SP) PCI-E 2.0 DDR3 448-bit, 625/2200MHz. Dual Dual-Link DVI, HDCP, Fan.

22x DVD +/-RW/RAM (Read/Write DVD, CD)

Gigabyte GA-MA770-US3 MB - AMD770/SB700, 5.2GT/s, DDR2 1066, PCI-E 2.0 x16, SATA II RAID, 8 Ch, Giga LAN, Dual BIOS, ATX

23.6" BenQWide Screen, 2ms, 1920x1080, 300nits, 40K:1, Dsub, DVID, HDMI, BLACK

10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN, 7x Ready to use (3 in front) USB 2.0 Ports

52-in-1 Multi-format Memory Card Reader (matx)

or

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 CPU, 2.66 GHz Clock Speed,FSB 1333MHz, 2x3MB L2 Cache

4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

1TB Hard Drive - SATA 2 with 16MB buffer

1GB Palit 9800GT Super PCI-E 256-bit DDR3, Dual DVI, HDCP Ready, HDTV, HDMI Ready, FAN.

22x DVD +/-RW/RAM (Read/Write DVD, CD)

Asrock G31M-S M/board - Intel G31+ICH7, 1600(oc) MHz FSB, Dual DDR2 800, PCIE, int VGA, SATAII, 6-Ch, 100 LAN, USB, mATX¬?

23.6" BenQ G2412HD Widescreen LCD Monitor - Gloss Black, Full HD 1920 x 1080, HDMI, 2ms, 40,000:1 Contrast

10/100 Ethernet LAN, 7x Ready to use (3 in front) USB 2.0 Ports

52-in-1 Multi-format Memory Card Reader (matx)