SAU Community

Gear Box Breather

PIOTREK

So how did you plumb it in? Back to the original tube or some other way? I'm guessing it was easy enough to do in the car

I connected it to the original metal pipe on the gearbox, had to bend it out a bit more to get access from underneath.

I reckon if the pipe was facing where it's meant to (forward) there's no chance to get to without dropping the rear of the box, so kind of lucky that mine's bent...

I put the filter close to where the tube comes out he gearbox, aprox 200mm away. That way you dont see it.

Yeah I put it up visible so that I can keep an eye on it. Can't be good if there's lots of gearbox oil climbing that far up. Fingers crossed.

Does it just vent down from the filter then?

Yes, you can just see the end of the top pipe coming back down in the 3rd last photo above, see the top arrow.

I believe the factory breather pipe vents to atmosphere the same way, just without the filter in between.

Bit off topic but whe you guys put in redline which one of thw following do u use?

1-redline SUPER lightweight shock proof 75w90

2-redline lightweight shockproof 75w140?

The first time I had this stuff in my gearbox it was fine. Now with the second lot it does it. Someone suggested a batch issue, which may be the case. I still think I'll try the super lightweight next time though

• 1 month later...

Yeah I put it up visible so that I can keep an eye on it. Can't be good if there's lots of gearbox oil climbing that far up. Fingers crossed.

A quick update: I had a look at this after some sustained spirited driving recently and indeed, Redline does climb up the breather hose all the way to the filter cup that I put in. It didn't quite touch the filter core though. So overall this setup works well, and I'm not surprised that some of you have seen smurf's blood under the car given that the factory breather end sits lower than this DIY job (and doesn't the filter of course).

• 9 months later...

i saw your original thread where some people mentioned a bad batch of shockproof? My gear box was freshly rebuilt couple years back and was just sitting until recently.. prior to that it had bad syncros which shockproof heavy took good care of.

Once it was put back together i put heavy back in there but on cold starts it was hard to shift, so went with light version.. since then we had only put some 200 miles on the car since its not a daily and noticed spitting of fluid out of breather.. without hard driving conditions.. I have not tried changing the fulid to non-shock proof but seems like i should try this plastic fuel filter thing for solution?