SAU Community

Tig Welder

jona

hello

well i will be undertaking a welding course in February, and currently have a project 31 so i thought having a welder would be a handy thing to have for those little fabrication jobs that come up with DIY projects. I have a little bit of MIG and stick experience but as far as welding intercooler piping, exhausts and all that sort of stuff, i figure having a TIG would be most beneficial.

There are shitloads of second hand welders for sale in the local trader, so what kind of brands should i look for, with what kind of features? i dont want to spend more the 1k either

preferably less than that if possible!

cheers

for that kind of price range, i cant really suggest anything.

Might be better if you list what there is available, since most TIG machines are $4K+.

all you really need for alloy is it capable of AC welding, and about 120Amps- but you might be fighting the machinea bit to get good.

for that kind of price range, i cant really suggest anything.

Might be better if you list what there is available, since most TIG machines are $4K+.

all you really need for alloy is it capable of AC welding, and about 120Amps- but you might be fighting the machinea bit to get good.

yer like i said im pretty much after brands and functions as there are heaps for sale second hand below 1k.....just a shitload of different brands etc etc

if you can handle not being able to weld Alu you should be able to get something. i've got a $400 Arc welder that i've got a tig torch/gas for etc, will be fine for most stuff. i dont rkn you really need a big $4k machine for the basic stuf you've listed

Hey mate if your not going to use it much just get a cheap one off ebay, look for the duty cycle at min 50% and high frequency start up, and you would want an inverter model much nicer on 240 volt oh and a foot controler ( controls your amps like a throtle)

My mate got a cheap one and its not to bad really if your new at the game you would love it from memory he paid under a grand,

like what was said before if you want something nice your looking at 4k up my kemmpi cost just under 5k and is f*ckin great but thats what i do for a livin, one more thing if you can find one with a pulse on it even better good luck buddy :P