SAU Community

R32 Gts-t Drift Car

ashr32

Sup Boys,

Im nearing the completing of my project car and need some advice on wheel and tire choice.

the car came with SSR 17"/8" rims and a set of Neuton NT5000 235/45/17s ($120 a tire)

cant remember the offset but have a look at the attached pics the see how they fit.

As you can see they are stretched on the rim.

the plastic inner guard has been removed on the right side already

and im about to remove the left side because with the height of my tien coils the rims scrap when i handbrake 180 and

hard left turn while on the brakes. im pretty sure its the inner guard that is scraping not the guard itself but this will test it

the car will be primary for drift so im trying to find a good setup to get started.

i dont mind if i have to flare or roll the guards

thanks in advance for the suggestions

post-37862-1230867987_thumb.jpg

post-37862-1230868137_thumb.jpg

well there is nothing wrong with 17X8s that you have now. just one thing though 235s on an 8 is not stretched. if anything it's too big. look at where the tyre meets the rim. you can see it kind of baloons out a little. 235 is the reccomended fit for a 9inch rim. 225 is the right size on a 8. if you want stretch you'll need a 205 or so.

it depends how good are you at drift? if you are just starting out get some cheap or even second hand 16s or 17s. don't worry about brand etc. you ideally don't want brand new or good tyres. the added grip makes it hard for beginner drift as they wont break traction at low speed (meaning you'll need some decent speed up to get any drift going).

if you are pretty good then you'll be wanting some decent tyres around the size you have now.

well there is nothing wrong with 17X8s that you have now. just one thing though 235s on an 8 is not stretched. if anything it's too big. look at where the tyre meets the rim. you can see it kind of baloons out a little. 235 is the reccomended fit for a 9inch rim. 225 is the right size on a 8. if you want stretch you'll need a 205 or so.

it depends how good are you at drift? if you are just starting out get some cheap or even second hand 16s or 17s. don't worry about brand etc. you ideally don't want brand new or good tyres. the added grip makes it hard for beginner drift as they wont break traction at low speed (meaning you'll need some decent speed up to get any drift going).

if you are pretty good then you'll be wanting some decent tyres around the size you have now.

Thanks Beer Baron i was hoping to get a response from someone like yourself (one of your previous posts fixed an issue i was having)

so not stretched, i was doing the math and it didnt add up. makes sense now. i was more so thinking about good tires for the front for better grip as at the moment with those tires are causing a little understeer when initiating a drift into a corner at high speed.

id like to just stick to the same brand cheap tire for the back and buy a few of them at a time so i can remove as many variables as i can. i really want to get some good data from the car with as little track time as possible.

so after doing some more searching ive seen the following setups for the rims size i have

17"

225/45 all round

205/35 all round

225/45 all round

225/45 at the front (good brand) and 235/45 at the back (cheap)

what do you guys thing?

Last option sounds good but why 235? Get good tyres with lots of tread on the front and cheap chinese tyres with lots of tread on the back because on the track the tread will wear down very quickly. Front tyres start to desintegrate if you use cheap ones and they dont grip well turning into corners.

So yeah 225 good brand on front and probably smaller on rear and its better the rear is a cheap tyre.

17 x 8.5 +30 all round is ideal . 235/45/17 or 235/40/17 are the most common tyres sizes available as so many cars use them these size tyre is the volume seller and therefore generally cheapest. The 8.5" rim also means the tyre is a pretty good fit. The +30 offset means no issue with guard clearances and it gives you half a chance of getting some brakes in the wheels should you ever need them....but brakes will always be a ball ache on a GTSt that cant take a very low offset wheel

my advice. get some decent tyres on your current wheels. 235s all round.

then buy a set of stock 33 GTST wheels (should be no more than $150) they are 16X7. fit them with some cheap 205 215 or 225 16s. used, new whatever.

when you get to the track you will now have 2 sets of rear tyres that you can use till they're gone. the smaller, cheap, 16s will be much easier to spin which means you'll be able to initiate drift at lower speed than with the 17s which is good when you're starting out and don't have the confidence/skill for higher speed stuff. plus you can wear them out safe in the knowledge that you have good tyres to drive home on. and having the same front and rear 'good' tyres means you can rotate as needed. also 16inch tyres are always going to be cheaper than 17s.

NEXUN nx3000

i love my bum drags, alot of tyres start to fall apart n delam... especially goodyear f1s and dunlop sp3000s...

the nexuns last and last and last while being very grippy! i run them front n rear... i swear by this tyre... try it for yourself

my advice. get some decent tyres on your current wheels. 235s all round.

then buy a set of stock 33 GTST wheels (should be no more than $150) they are 16X7. fit them with some cheap 205 215 or 225 16s. used, new whatever.

when you get to the track you will now have 2 sets of rear tyres that you can use till they're gone. the smaller, cheap, 16s will be much easier to spin which means you'll be able to initiate drift at lower speed than with the 17s which is good when you're starting out and don't have the confidence/skill for higher speed stuff. plus you can wear them out safe in the knowledge that you have good tyres to drive home on. and having the same front and rear 'good' tyres means you can rotate as needed. also 16inch tyres are always going to be cheaper than 17s.

im gonna have to disagree there, the biggest part of drift is balance, having a lot more traction at the front than the rear will make it hard to hold angle, sure it will oversteer easily, but it will be more likely to wanna snap around.

i think its better to learn on a balanced setup, even if u run stockies all round. developing ur technique on an unbalanced setup will make it harder when u have a more balanced setup later.

NEXUN nx3000

i love my bum drags, alot of tyres start to fall apart n delam... especially goodyear f1s and dunlop sp3000s...

the nexuns last and last and last while being very grippy! i run them front n rear... i swear by this tyre... try it for yourself

lol i actually found the dunlops really resistant to delams back in the arse drag days, even when i used to crank high pressure in them.

also as a general rule, dont bother with 2nd hand potenza's on the back as common as they are, they will delam really quickly. brand new its a different story.

lol i actually found the dunlops really resistant to delams back in the arse drag days, even when i used to crank high pressure in them.

also as a general rule, dont bother with 2nd hand potenza's on the back as common as they are, they will delam really quickly. brand new its a different story.

I found that out just before christmas at a vic drift day. 3 laps of winton and I was on the belts even though they had good tread. They just lifted straight away...

LOL, nah the XD9s are too heavy for motorsport/drift and they are also a bit pricey and neat to be banging up with excursions on and off the track :) They are a nice street rim though

XD9s not to heavy. i have alot of wheels and they r one of the lighter ones

they were for my s15 n thew them on the 32 for the last day out

i cant rember the offsets 17x8.5 or 9 sorry to many wheels , 17x9 advan

bf hand cut slick front got a bargin , best i can afford at the time on the rear

most of them r second hand (bite me i get them cheap)

you can never have to much front grip when drifting nothing worse than undsteer

imo the best thing to do is get super long wheel studs 76 mm n spacers 5, 10 , 25 mm

doing this u can give any wheel the offset u want with spacer combos

give your car more width , it will make it more stable n not prone to snap oversteer

as u get better u will have to get more grip (bigger or better tyre ) at the rear

or u will not be able to keep going faster

post-32345-1231420817_thumb.jpg

yeh i remember one day at AIR i took some basically brand new RE050A's to chuck on the front if the ones on there at the time werent good enough. ended up running out of rears and had to chuck them on the rear, had the things in pieces within 5 laps, and that was only with 180rwkw or something at the time.

was an expensive lesson, what are they, $250-300ea new? the worst part is i knew from personal experience as well as being told about them, yet i still chucked them on.

also one thing to remember is tyre pressure is everything, people put like 40psi in their tyres thinking it will make them last longer (myself included), but realistically overinflation will cause delamination really quickly, obviously with drift ur tyres will heat up bloody quickly and raise the pressure even higher. now i run around 30psi in all my tyres, and they last forever.

XD9s not to heavy. i have alot of wheels and they r one of the lighter ones

they were for my s15 n thew them on the 32 for the last day out

i cant rember the offsets 17x8.5 or 9 sorry to many wheels , 17x9 advan

bf hand cut slick front got a bargin , best i can afford at the time on the rear

most of them r second hand (bite me i get them cheap)

you can never have to much front grip when drifting nothing worse than undsteer

imo the best thing to do is get super long wheel studs 76 mm n spacers 5, 10 , 25 mm

doing this u can give any wheel the offset u want with spacer combos

give your car more width , it will make it more stable n not prone to snap oversteer

as u get better u will have to get more grip (bigger or better tyre ) at the rear

or u will not be able to keep going faster

nah sorry, XD9's are quite heavy.