SAU Community

Yay Got My Pics Back!

Silent Shadow

ok almost 1000km later and i've encountered the following problems....

1. the starter motor wont engage onto the flywheel properly and is just grinding on it. it worked for the first 10 starts but has suddenly started doing it. i changed the starter and still had the same problem.

this leads me to think the the ring gear on the flywheel is shot. push starting has been fun!!

2. there is a random squeak/clunk when i engage the clutch. by random i mean, it only does it some times. and same sound happens when i back-off the accelerator sometimes too. the car feels and drives fine though. i dont get it.

3. i was about 100kms from home and went to shut the passenger door but it wouldnt stay shut. so i had to hold the door shut by hand for the whole trip home while my girlfriend drove. in the hammering rain, at 10:30pm, i pulled the door trim off and had a look to figure out how it all worked and tried to diagnose the problem. there is a spring loaded lever that follows the door latch on its way in and keeps it in. therefor keeping the door shut. the door handles disengage this lever allowing the door to open.

the spring has come off the lever and/or snapped and this lever now spins freely. i was able to get the door to shut to keep the baddies out for tonight but it wont close enough to keep the rain out. not looking forward to replacing this as it looks fiddly. also not looking forward to finding a swimming pool in my datsun tomorrow!!

as for the gearbox and starter issues, i think i am finally over of my head with this and have also run out of patience. it's time to seek professional help :)

• 2 weeks later...

took mandie into the shop today and here's the report.

the workshop bloke said it didnt have a spigot in it haha! i wasnt aware you needed one (FAIL!)... $9 for one of them and all my problems with shakes and noises have suddenly dissapeared. im actually surprised that it made it over 1000kms without one and didnt destroy anything. happy days!

the door lock and latch mechanism swap was a complete bastard of a job. every single screw and nut on both cars was pretty much seized on and took me ages to get them off. i was right about the spring. it was so old and rusty that it just snapped. getting the mechanisms in and out of the cars was also tricky. the circlip that goes on the back of the lock barrels was probably the hardest part!!

the yellow car now has a floppy door lol.

workshop bloke also said that my right-rear brake cylinder had completely blown-out and has pumped fluid everywhere. will have to look at the drums on the yellow car to see if i can use them. WB said that a uni-joint on my tailshaft is also completely shot. lucky i have 2 of them sitting around.

seriously, a spare car is worth its weight in gold!

hey im about to buy a Ti MR30, it has a disk brake rear end if your keen on some sort of a cash adjustment???

im pretty sure it can be used fairly easily on your car, the caliper brakets bolt on from the earlier R30's, but i think they are weld on in the later models?

and as for driving home in the rain like that, i hit a duck at 80km/h and it went through the windscreen, (passenger side) so i went45km with half a windscreen.. was deaf when i got home though

• 1 month later...

update!

i did an electric thermo-fan conversion just to see if i could do it lol. and it works a treat! it's a 16 inch sucker.

IMG_1349.jpg

i held it up by putting to bolts straight through the radiator on the right side and good old trusty zip-ties for the left side. the pack didnt come with any instructions or diagrams for the relay so i just had to figure it out which only took a few minutes. i am yet to fit a thermostat switch so for now, i have crimped an alligator clip to the remote wire from the relay and bit it onto the back of my fuse for ignition. so therefor the fan turns on when my key hits "on". this works ok for me at the moment but will eventually get the thermostat switch.

i found that i could take of the old engine fan and use the same spacer and bolts to go back into the water pump. too easy!

i have also replaced the dead master cylinder, leaking calipers on front, and leaking drum cylinders on rear. had to replace one drum cause it was completely shot. all new shoes for the drums and pads for the front. replaced the tail shaft with my spare one. there was literally 4mm play in the front uni joint and it had bit of metal sticking out of it!!! car runs smooth as now with no shakes. and is probably the best stopping datsun in town lol :dry:

i couldn't notice a significant difference in free-revving. it's definitely alot quieter at top revs. half the reason i changed it is because the noise that the fan put out was pissing me off. now i can actually hear the engine properly. previously it sounded more like a diesel truck or an EA falcon lol.

in slow traffic engine temp would heat-up sometimes to concerning levels. but since i have done this my temp has never gone above half-way even in a traffic jam at midday... which is great! it's nice to be able to relax a little more in traffic jams now.

from memory this conversion cost me about $130 including the fan, the crimps, and extra wire.

i think that's about all i can tell you at the moment but if i think of anything ill add it in later.

• 10 months later...

oh hello build thread. there you are! long time no see....

ok so to be honest ive been cheating on mandie with another girl for the last 6 months. i bought a s13 silvia (sonya) with a RB20det conversion and have been preping it for drift events. so far it's 260hp at the wheels. it's an absolutely mental car to drive. love it to bits. even scares me at times lol.

BUT, it's very shit to drive to and from the pothole ridden corrugated road to work because of the coilovers. it's rattling the silvia to pieces and destroying my spine simultaneously lol. SO.....

i've decided to put mandie back on the road and use her as my daily. like aiming for next week hopefully. she's been off the road since october last year. not because i lost the love, but because my crappy job at the time didnt allow me to afford 2 cars anymore. my new job is getting me the cash to achieve my dreams so it is now possible.

i must admit ive recently been very inspired by ricky's build and the awesome that it is oozing right now! it's somehow made me remember everything i loved about my skyline coupe and what it means to me and even my mates. ricky's build also made me realize that i haven't achieved my goal with mandie yet and that i probably would have already if i just got off my ass and blew some bloody coin on it!!

i started tonight by buying a new battery after work. the one in it was totally CACTUS! even though i havent given her a crank-over in at least 4 months, she only took like around 3 minutes to start. idled perfect and purred like a kitten straight away! man oh man do i miss that exhaust note!

since my last post:

-i have been given a shitty beaten-up cannon muffler for free and got it thrown on for a laugh. to my surprise it actually sounds incredible! lol will post youtube vid at some point i think.

-i fitted the sparco junior race seat. i can try as hard as i want and i still cant get thrown out of that seat around corners.

-i bought the chrome stove-tops and center garnish from yahoo japan. the wiring has been modified for some reason and the brake lights only come on when you put the brake pedal down but not when you have the headlights on (if that makes sense?) im gunna get the site electrician to rewire them for me which he is more than happy to do so.. WN!

another thing about the stove-tops i got is they didnt come with the black rubber/plastic bit that goes around the outside of them. i used the ADM ones for now but they are about and inch too short at the top and dont fit comfortably. if anyone has a spare set let me know!

-the original tacho went a bit slack so i bought a 3" white faced calibre tach from supercheap and mounted it right in front of the standard one. it's the same size as the stock tach. looks great and maybe even a little bit cool haha.

will post picks as soon as im back on night shift!

GOALS:

-get stove-tops working properly

-get pcar back on the road.

-mod plate to make it a 2 seater.

-matching bride zeta III or brix II buckets in black.

-matching 5-point harneses. if i can find orange ones it could look cool. but so would black, and that would be easier to find me thinks.

-roll cage in the back half painted orange.

-make panels to cover the parcel shelf, fuel tank, and where the base of the rear seat used to be and wrap them in black carpet

-get rid of the beige interior and re-trim in black most likely.

-replace poo beige carpet with black carpet and get some bloody floor mats.

-drift teks in gold. i put my mates silver DT's up against my car and had a look from the other side of the street. looked pretty damn hot if you ask me. has to be gold though imo.

-fix the exhaust gaskets cause the fumes can make you feel a little bit sickly at times.

-fix rust so she's beautiful again.

that should keep me entertained for now and will re-assess once ive knocked that list over!

THOUGHTS/POSSIBILITIES:

now that i own an s13 with an rb20det and coilovers (and a huge list of other parts!), the idea of swapping all the bits from it to mandie is tempting at times. especially since im pretty sure alot of parts are compatible and seeing mandie fly down the road sideways with the screamer pipe at full noise would be a pretty fkn amazing sight!! it would also be a sure 260hp at the treads and should go just as hard considering they are the same weight. pretty sure the last owner would shit his pants if i took it back to him in that state lol. just toying with that idea at the moment and nothing concrete yet.

im just rambling now geez!

goodnight all!

cam

Good to see some inspiration flowing again Cam and lots of good ideas. The RB20 idea I reckon is a great solution to invigorate the Datto and apparantley a good fit. I partly went carby as I couldn't be bothered with the injection/wiring nightmare and cost but should I have gone that way it would have been RB for sure. I just like V8's too much also.

theres a guy on OZDAT doing a rb coversion currently.

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=18736

looks like there is a fair difference between the 20det and the 25det. 20det's are getting cheaper too.

RB is a good option, but also think of after all the muckoing about getting it in there, will it be rock solid / reliable? a similar result could be had with a... dare I say it... V6 Commodore 3800 Buick with extractors, and re-tuned delco ecu. could be done VERY cheap.

theres a guy on OZDAT doing a rb coversion currently.

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=18736

looks like there is a fair difference between the 20det and the 25det. 20det's are getting cheaper too.

V6 Commodore 3800 Buick with extractors, and re-tuned delco ecu. could be done VERY cheap.

Dare I say, BUICK??????? The V6 Commodore hasn't been a buick since it's inception in a VN. The VP and everything since is an Aussie block.

When it comes to V8's the 1UZFE has a better torque curve right throughout the range compared to the dunnydore motor. If I had the time all over again, I would be building an C210 with a VH45 or VH41, but the blocks are same size, so VH45 would be the go and they are relatively cheap and sound awwwwwwweesommme

D

I just like the VN one as it has a simpler intake manifold and oil pickup system... dad & i rebuilt one when I sa 12 years old... I guess it kinda seemed cool then!

but a VH41... oooooh well thats a whole other ball game. Definitly worth a look. search fro "mettler' i think, he has one in an R31... but its got 2 turbos on the side (could even be a VH45?)

just forget about the commodore option... im pretty sure a nissan engine in a holden is fine, but not the other way!

gotta agree with ghostrider there. If i was gunna do a v8 it wwould be the 1uzfe. Love that motor!

I would never do a como v6 conversoin. Hate that motor. Hate comodores even lol.

The rb i already own and from a cost perspective it would make a whole lot more sence!

• 8 months later...

was almost going to sell this to a certain forum member but at the end of the day, i couldnt bring myself to do it. sorry forum member!!! xo i think i just love this car too much lol.

I'm moving into a house in a few weeks that will either have a huge area under the house (queenslander style), or a decent backyard/shed.

once ive settled in, the mighty engine swap begins!!

this is the rb that i've got. yea it needs a little bit of tidying-up (wiring and polish). best thing about it is that it pumps 300hp on the current shit tune with a stock comp and i already own it so WIN!

15859_179839197334_711597334_3060515_1535700_n.jpg

progress has been abandoned for a while as the construction workers behind my units 'accidentally' knocked down my carport and it is now conveniently a storage area for them. kunts!

so mandie has been in storage for a few months. oh and another thing about that, mandie was actually in that carport at the time and was almost a pancake/ severely fkd. LUCKILY, she was pulled out unharmed. i was so furious, that i was beyond

the point of yelling abuse and was just shaking. another funny thing was that only 2 weeks earlier, i sent a nice long and professional e-mail to the developer saying how fkn rare the car was and would hate to have anything bad happen to it with the construction work and vehicles in such close proximity and all.

i requested that the car could be put in storage in one of their underground car-parks (they own like 10 places in the street) but he refused and said they will take due care. now that this happened, he has put the car in storage for me haha!

anyway...

found some orange harnesses! by driftworks:

dw_orange-dw-harness1.jpg?TT=0.591898148148148

$235 from option1garage

also, Bride style low max seats:

adr_seat_2.jpg?TT=0.467731481481481

$550 each from the same place.

i dont mind that they dont have 'bride' on them. if anyone knows of better then do tell!

another cosmetics idea: on that c210 thread from the UK that i posted up, i noticed the guy had a golf mkI front splitter. thought it looked pretty cool so im gunna look into that.

Mags, i had a read of the ozdat link. very cool stuff thank-you! can anyone tell me if that stuff is all applicable to the c210? like, are they the same??

looking forward to having a space to get this car done and most of all, getting this car done!

expect lots of questions to be asked in a few weeks time <3

cam

Fooking get it ready for a crusie south to Skyline Nationals next year, OR the SAU Skyline thingo in October this year!

Ive been in those seats before, for a few hours on the coast, by back was sore for days. They are fine for track work, but arent all that comfy to me. WRX seats are prob the comfyest buckets Ive been in, then the FG Typhoon... very niiiice.

Careful with the harness Cam, if you enter in anything CAMS affiliated the harness has to be inside a 5 year life span from manufacture date.

Track days, street use (illegal in most states due to no ADR or ASA compliance) will be ok.

Cheers, D

@ mags: next year is more likely but if it's going by the time the entry forms are due for this year then i might have to pop down. road trip!!

before xmas i wouldnt have agreed with you about those seats. but after driving from brisbane, to north GC, to south GC, to toowoomba, to murwillumbah, then back to bris over 2 days, i was pretty keen to get the hell out of similar seats in my silvia!!

i usually just drive around brisbane like to and from work. house to house sort of thing, and feel pretty comfy in them tbh. after 4 hours of drift you feel pretty crap from them as well. but that's some physical shit right there.

this is the sil's seats:

39864_418736817334_711597334_4944141_4907035_n.jpg

i think it's one of those things like stiff spring rates. you just take the pain cause you love it!

@dennis: thanks for the heads-up man. ill see what i can get away with street-wise. at the least, ill use them for track days and when the car is on show. paint-matching harnesses will look totally freaking hot on show!!

today i spent the whole morning on google trying to find out any info possible about this RB conversion. there is literally fck-all literature about this swap. i looked at build threads all over the world today and most people either just say

that they wanna do it. or ask people about and no one knows shit-all. or talk about it for a while and then just say something like "ok so i got the engine in", without explaining the process at all. ie. step by step, pictures, parts required/used, electrical ect.

so im gunna try and do exactly that with my conversion. so anyone can do it! kinda like how i did with my auto-manual conversion. just write my experience exactly how i see it. and how i got the job done properly.

as i saw in forums a lot today, there are a lot of people who want to this conversion but dont just because they dont know how. so i think this could really benefit some noobs out there.

im going to do as much of this as i can myself. document everything. noob style.

if this car is possible then anything is possible!!!

AY0F0133.jpg

http://speedhunters....10-skyline.aspx

boldly going where ive never gone before. loving it.