SAU Community

Land Based Fishing Spots In Vic

Mohsen

hey everyone

anyone here enjoy a bit of fishing?

if so, post up your fave land based fishing spots!

ill be heading down phillip island way on sunday to try my luck there... hoping for some 1kg aussie salmon and tailor :D

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice, don't mind a bit of freshwater myself.

Sugarloaf and Thompson river, coopers creek when it's running.

Salt water I'm in the boat or was, now i'm in a mates boat.

im saving for a bout.. some nice half cabin 16 footers going for about 5k atm

im old enough for a rec boating license.. so why not?

i love surf fishing!

when i lived in perth. we went cottesloe and i happened to cast a popper into a school of tailor. each fish was about 60cm L

went fkn off. reeling in a fish at every cast

i just keep all my fishing gear in the wife's car and if we are cruising along the coast we just pull over and pick a sopt to fish...

some fave spots are: portarlington, point lonsdale, queenscliff, port fairy (all land based)

i just keep all my fishing gear in the wife's car and if we are cruising along the coast we just pull over and pick a sopt to fish...

some fave spots are: portarlington, point lonsdale, queenscliff, port fairy (all land based)

my families beach house is at ocean grove so we are noramlly fishing at either queenscliff or point lonsdale

but lately wether from the piers or even on our boat we havnt caught overly much

and the weather was good when we were out

what are you guys catching?

im yet to catch a pinky/snapper from land =/

might head up to elwood on firday or saturday and spend an all nighter there.

my uncle got a 1.5kg pinky off the rocks and surf

what are you guys catching?

im yet to catch a pinky/snapper from land =/

might head up to elwood on firday or saturday and spend an all nighter there.

my uncle got a 1.5kg pinky off the rocks and surf

well last saturday morning on the boat we got a garfish, trevelly, a few bluethroats and and a banjo shark

then sunday was dead not even a nibble

i went to airys inlet on sunday. did a bit of surf fishing.

caught a nice mixed back. small herring, a small salmon

kept the herrings for bait

Ahhh good old relaxing fishing.

ummm a good spot is schnapper point in mornington peninusla.......just a right turn off nepean highway; its a looooong jetty which extends into the bay.

fish caught there are garfish which you can use as live bait for kingfish, pinkies are plentiful during the season and you will always see plenty of squid/cuttlefish

Pilchards are the best bait for snapper/pinkies by far if anyone is thinking of going.

Bream is pretty much dead in the yarra/marribyrnong

last week i went to seaford pier didn't get a bite for 2h's then moved on to mornington pier stayed there for 5h's and didn't catch a thing! there was about 30 rods in the water and i didn't see a single decent fish.

turned me off going again!

hate land base fising. love going out deep :P

but i back rock area and brighton is pretty good. and up frankston way its really rocky to get down there but when your there a nice cast and ye you will get some good fish up that way. forget the exact location. heading out saturday early morning around 3 am for some snappers. cant wait :)

Ahhh good old relaxing fishing.

ummm a good spot is schnapper point in mornington peninusla.......just a right turn off nepean highway; its a looooong jetty which extends into the bay.

fish caught there are garfish which you can use as live bait for kingfish, pinkies are plentiful during the season and you will always see plenty of squid/cuttlefish

Pilchards are the best bait for snapper/pinkies by far if anyone is thinking of going.

Bream is pretty much dead in the yarra/marribyrnong

king fish?

how big? where!?

im not into the gars. mostly into bream, whiting and snapper. but i do enjoy having a fight with the bigger fish.

the old man might buy a boat. a 5.1m half cabin cruiser so we might start troling lures if we buy it :P

edit: ashneel i might go out saturday morning to st kilda.. around 10ish with a mate to just play around and try catch some bait.

might even let a live one swim for a bit. maybe ill catch a shark

Edited by GTR-boy

king fish?

how big? where!?

im not into the gars. mostly into bream, whiting and snapper. but i do enjoy having a fight with the bigger fish.

the old man might buy a boat. a 5.1m half cabin cruiser so we might start troling lures if we buy it :D

edit: ashneel i might go out saturday morning to st kilda.. around 10ish with a mate to just play around and try catch some bait.

Off snapper point, during the day actually; basically use the float, tiny long shank hook and a type of white bait fish off a float to catch the gars then hook the gar through the back and again use a float.

The kings will come to the surface, generally in packs and grab em.........watch the line screeeem so set the drag just right

BTW were talking way over 40cm.

On another note, i hate the pier.......grab a boat for real fishing; even 100meters off the shore will increase the chance of grabbing a snapper rather than a pinkie.

Ummm for bream, yarra river near the burnley tunnel at the rivers bend at night is best for bream. Bait: yabbies are no1 or if you have access to low tide you can hunt for small mudcrabs in the rocks.

station pier right at the end when its open to the public. you will never be disapointed. get there early in the morning at around 5am-9am and enjoy gummy shark galore. they love blue bait/pilchards.

sometimes you get a banjo shark which i hate catching as they are ugly bastards. some salmon and pinkies can be caught there too.

Edited by jakez88

Off snapper point, during the day actually; basically use the float, tiny long shank hook and a type of white bait fish off a float to catch the gars then hook the gar through the back and again use a float.

The kings will come to the surface, generally in packs and grab em.........watch the line screeeem so set the drag just right

BTW were talking way over 40cm.

On another note, i hate the pier.......grab a boat for real fishing; even 100meters off the shore will increase the chance of grabbing a snapper rather than a pinkie.

Ummm for bream, yarra river near the burnley tunnel at the rivers bend at night is best for bream. Bait: yabbies are no1 or if you have access to low tide you can hunt for small mudcrabs in the rocks.

ohh mann! of a pier?

i've never caught a gar before so i reckon ill give it a shot

any gars there?

what time do the kings come out to play?

looks like its time to load up that overhead reel with the 37kg braid...

also, wouldnt the garfish die?

nice let us know how it goes. bit of a change of plan for us we are heading of tomorrow night around 9ish. when the tides coming in will stay out ti 5am. should be fun. hopig to catch another on of this

th_fish.jpg

caught that in port phillip bay area. snapper about 7kg. as you can see i was happy then felt sick from the fishy smell and blood lol

ohh mann! of a pier?

i've never caught a gar before so i reckon ill give it a shot

any gars there?

what time do the kings come out to play?

looks like its time to load up that overhead reel with the 37kg braid...

also, wouldnt the garfish die?

Yeah i was as shocked as anything! i always though that fish dont like to been seen from the top of the water during the day but hey the bloke caught 2 at the same time (they seem to travel in packs)

gar fishing was a breeze, easier than i though, small hook though and the white fish was bought at a tackle store closeby (not whitebait, they look like albino tadpoles)

This is during the day btw, so plentiful that they have an set amount u can take.

ummm if you hook the garfish through the back, they dont die and continue to swim (for a few hours lolz)

when i say say pier, it really extends out into the bay so dont get put off until you see it.