SAU Community

Land Based Fishing Spots In Vic

Mohsen

This sounds weird but in Docklands you can catch some pinkies and garfish with surprising consistency. Very weird considering its basically in the middle of the CBD but honestly have a go.

Otherwise I found the nameless creeks and rivers in diamond creek/warrandyte area are very good for eel fishing in the middle of the night from 12 to 5am.

Only problem is that you have to walk through some light bush to get to the river most of the time (no more than 100m off the "track") and at night it can get very Blair Witch project so I dont usually go unless i have a group of at least 5 hahahahaha

bait for eels - go to safeway and buy the nastiest most revolting dog food (the ones in the freezer) you can find. The eels love it. Wear gloves.

tell me it isnt the WEIRDEST feeling going thru a pitch black area, alone, or with someone else.. you hear creaks, you think someones watching you..

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tell me it isnt the WEIRDEST feeling going thru a pitch black area, alone, or with someone else.. you hear creaks, you think someones watching you..

hahahaha i so agree man.

its much better by the bay or something where u have a big sky to light things up, but in the bushes those tree stumps look suspiciously humanoid. And then u start getting paranoid that every sound si somehow sinister...

but still the eels bite friggin good in the yarra... its almost a guaranteed catch

What do you do with eels? Do you eat them like unagi?

hell yeah! I'm asian and I eat anything that swims, walks or crawls :D

we usually put them in a bathtub or eski filled with water overnight (still alive) as this makes them regurgitate all the dirty yarra river water in their system. Should actually do this twice to make sure the fish is clean.

Then steam with soy sauce, black bean and spring onions.

Does this work with other fish too?

Provided they're alive (obviously) - yes it does.

Fish gills are filters, so give them clean water to swim in and eventually they'll spit out all the accumulated dirt.

Haven't really found the need to do it for saltwater fish, but for freshwater/river fish I'd highly recommend it. Naturally caught murray cods and eels will brown your whole bathtub with dirt over night with all the stuff they spit out.

It makes them cleaner (not sure about healthier) and the meat definitely tastes better as it reduces that "muddy' aftertaste.

Just be careful with eels as they will jump out of the tub... best put a lid on whatever tub u using.

Fish gills are filters, so give them clean water to swim in and eventually they'll spit out all the accumulated dirt.

Haven't really found the need to do it for saltwater fish, but for freshwater/river fish I'd highly recommend it. Naturally caught murray cods and eels will brown your whole bathtub with dirt over night with all the stuff they spit out.

It makes them cleaner (not sure about healthier) and the meat definitely tastes better as it reduces that "muddy' aftertaste.

Just be careful with eels as they will jump out of the tub and rape you... best put a lid on whatever tub u using.

holy shit..

either staying in melbourne, going lakes entrance, rye or perth when we close up for a bit..

hmmm really wouldnt mind going to lakes entrance for a fish..

anyone know if the bronze whalers are biting up there?

reallyyyyy want to catch a shark off the surf

Just be careful with eels as they will jump out of the tub... best put a lid on whatever tub u using.

Ah ok, thanks for the advice. I was always wondering how much fish I could actually safely eat from the Maribyrnong River, near where I live. Doing this will put my mind more at ease, even though probably won't change the PCB concentration stored away in the fish fat.

http://www.oem.vic.gov.au/Adviceforpeoplew...ribyrnongRivers

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/environment/d...ds/eat_fish.pdf

Apparently I'm not mean to eat more than 1 serve of fish a week or 1 serve of eel a month. I guess it also depends exactly where in the river I catch them. Surely more upstream is less polluted. On Google Earth you can see the river becoming more and more polluted/brown as it winds its way down south. By the time it joins the yarra it looks like a sewage channel (could also be from the heavier water traffic on the Yarra at that point).

The fishing waters around the Kinglake/Kangaroo Grounds/Diamond creek area is much cleaner than say around Ringwood or other eastern suburbs like Kew.

The catches in the bushes also tend to be fatter, bigger fish you'd have confidence in eating...relatively : P

We were being stupid (and drunk) one night and threw a few lines into the yarra river along alexandra parade in the city. Surprisingly we still caught fish but one look and you'd tell they weren't edible...

If anyone is interested in going to the rivers, drive along doncaster williamson road until you pass reynold's road. Keep going straight until you hit the plenty road roundabout. Do a u-turn on the roundabout and then immedately on your left about 200 metres up the hill you should see a small area for you to turn left.

The nature track there will lead you to the river.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's session around the mornington area.

Got 3 squid within an hour, then suddenly there were too many boats, so i packed up and went home.. They're nicely sized, so get to have some salt and pepper squid for the next few days.

post-61332-1263121215_thumb.jpg

post-61332-1263121312_thumb.jpg

nice!

i just bought a 4.7 m betram half cabin with an 85hp evinrude

so i will only be coming to piers for baitfish from now on.

anyone know a good spot for garfish other than mornington?

Wow! Congrats on the boat. So jealous. You can start hitting the water now.

How much would that've cost you? 5-6k 2ndhand? I'm only asking cuz I'm thinking of getting a secondhand affordable fishing boat sometime in the future, and was just wondering what my budget will be like.