SAU Community

Best N/A performance mods?

Krys

Hello everyone on Skyline NA forum. i'm new to this forum and i'm not based in Australia, infact Brunei to be exact.

anyway i'm not new to skylines, especially all RB25 NA's , from R32 till R34 models.

Just to share some NA mods which has improved the performance on my R34:

engine dept:

1. cat back Fujitsubo exhaust system (pipe dia 70mm) & twin 90mm tip

2. PIVOT ground wires & SARD electrical sweeper (more of electrical noise filter)

3. Fully synthetic engine oil

4. HKS metal flow pod with home made SS heat shield.

handling dept : R34 APEXi Sport coil over (3.2k) & KYB Super Special shocks (4 rate adj.), APEXi R33 front strut.

next expensive upgrade; FUJITSUBO extractor, fuel pressure regulator and probably SAFC ver 2.

hope this flies...

Yeah Krys, jo34 has got it right. get it breathing (panel filter, extractors, exhaust) a good 5 or 10W synthetic oil and some ECU tweaking to adjust A/F ratios & ignition advance. I would do the mods in that order. If you want more responsiveness from the RB you could then look at a lightweight flywheel. If you're still hungry for power crack open the engine & replace the cams for a more aggressive profile,head porting,higher comp ratio. (this sort of work definitely requires programmable management).

I would love to see a kikass 31 packing a barking, lumpy, high comp RB25 - I reckon it would sound awesome & scare the shit out of unsuspecting people ahhh... so much fun.

Originally posted by Darker

Hey PVA, you keep mentioning this Blitz NA ECU and I cant find em anywhere...

Any specs/details where to buy info on it?

my old GTS-4 had Access ECU by Blitz for RB25DE NA skylines...

its remapped ECU for NA skylines...

sorry no more infor other than that its better ECU from stock.

search on Blitz web site... might get hits.

cheers

Joe

It's probably already been said, but i think the Extractors are probably the best bet for immediate performance gain, that is really noticable. It might only make 4/5Kw differnece, but you can access the power heaps earlier. Even on my '32 RB20, it still makes it heaps easier to launch... and it sounds really cool..

Yet to put on a better intake system, but you can hear it draw now... sounds like its sucking through a drinking straw at the moment...

also, rb26dett mentioned camshafts. Anyone know who in australia stocks cams for RB series engines?

What would u guys go for, Pod or K&n panel filter. I've heard the panel filters give more power then a pod... true/false?

Also can anyone recommend an exhaust and extractor system for the narb25?

I dont want drone... My 31 droned so much.... yeah importing an r33 atm so just getting ideas....

well ive read a comparison someone in the forum has done with both...

panel filters gave him better low end power...launching and mid range...however cruising along the freeway at higher speeds, where with the kind of air flowing, u will get cooler air and more of it with a pod, he made more top end power..

so i guess it all bears down to personal preference.

low end/midrange or top end power

i also forgot to add...if yr a power kinda guy, whcih i am telling you, 7 out of 10 people are,

u might wanna reconsider the NA route.

chk out the forums and see how many ppl have and are trying to turbo they're NA's or have sold it for a turbo skyline.

the prices dont vary by much, in fact by dang, ive seen some turbo's goin for cheaper than an NA of an equal yr...

prob an overboosted turbo but nevertheless, reconsider.

:P

just speakin frm experience IMHO

Krys,

a pod makes a lot of noise but needs a proper cold air intake to work well.

go the hks super drager exhuast especially for n/a's. its got a nice note but its not noisy. epa laughed when they tested it because it was so obviously legal. no drone, ever. it's expensive though at about 1500 brand new.

just get a local made muffler, gives the horniest gruntiest sound, and chuck resonators on if u want quietness! i dont think japanese exhausts have any proven benefits over aussie made and the price difference is incredible! Pod filters dont really make too much noise, sounds sweet, i agree with greg on the cold air tho

yep, nisomoman is dead on the money there... why buy Jap stuff when local is just as good? i was also wondering how you guys went about mounting CAIs. Greg, it sounds like you've done yours, howd it go?

and streamer, i think we all know that a turbo is the only way to get HUGE horsepower out of anything without 'cubes' but it's not just the initial purchase cost thats a problem for most people. and besides, whats wrong with being a little different, right guys?

:-)

(of course i mean different, in the nicest possible way)

nismoman,

i agree local stuff can be made to be just as good as jap stuff if it is done by a skilled person. a few of my mates have had very bad experiences with places like midas, mr muffler etc so make sure you get a performance shop or a place with a good reputation to make it for sure. for a nice quiet system copy the design of the super drager if you don't want to get the real thing: it uses 2 resonators. a hotdog resonator immediatly followed by a small muffler. the final barrel muffler is not straight through in design.

true, pod filters aren't that noisy by themselves. however once i fitted extractors, the pod is louder than my exhaust at times :D

pstanbis,

i haven't done CAI yet, but a mate did it to his vl and it feels fantastic. i might knock up something in the next couple of days (school holidays:D) and post up how i go

Originally posted by pstanbis

... why buy Jap stuff when local is just as good?

You go jap for the garantee'd power it makes, the quality and finish of the final product, the ease of installation, and to some extent, the brand name as well.

Sure, a local place can make an exhaust equivalent or better, but it wont be alot cheaper and a bargain price. Some people would rather pay more and ensure quality, i know i do especially when i get haircuts etc...:D

i was also wondering how you guys went about mounting CAIs

after having a pod for a while, i deciding to make a semi-decent, fully enclosed airbox to cover the pod.

i cut a hole, about 4inchs in diamter in the space where the base of the stock airbox would be. And bought some tubing, it was shiny metallic in colour, thin tough plastic, and was ribbed with spiralling around to maintain the shape of the tubing.

i have a Gtr front bar, i mounted one end of the tubing to a side opening on the f'bar, and the other end to the hole. i noticed a more agreesive top end, and angrier noise.

after having CAI on my car, that is in various positions including in the front bar, i have realised the best induction is still the stock airbox with a K&N filter, as this is the tuned method of induction therefore should be the best. and it doesnt really get hot engine bay air just hot air because the air has to flow over the radiator through the snorkel. It would be great if a pod filter could just stick out of the bonnet right next to the throttle body like on a V8 :D

I'm thinking i'll go for the K&N panel filter and try to incorporate twin air vents on each side of the bonnet for better air flow. Might try getting some stiff pipe hooked on underneath the bonnet going from the air vent to the air box. I might also try some flexi pipe running from the botom of the bar into the engine bay. Just ideas.... :(

Also, can anyone recommend some Brand name extractors and their experience with them? what kinda power boost should i be expecting?