SAU Community

Video Cameras For Motorsport Use

Roy

Specs looked on the missus one too, but sucked. The proof is in the pudding though, I would expect Target to stock something better than Aldi does. Can always take it back if it sucks. The issue I see is the size when something like the Kodak I bought (or any other of similarly sized and similarly cheapo cams) are easier to mount and work with.

Plus with the GoPro's and the like, you know you can rely on the mounts and the casings (mostly) when you buy like me, it's a gamble :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently got the Sony Action cam for testing too. It does 120fps in 720p which is interesting. Also external mic 3.5mm jack too.

I picked up one of these in Vegas earlier this month - we gave it a good test on our ski holiday. For $200 I'm very impressed with the video and sound quality, although in the waterproof case the sound is muffled somewhat. We had the camera mounted on my son's helmet, and the image is stable considering the amount of movement. The only problem was that it fogged up on the inside of the case a couple of times (-14 deg will do that) but it was only when it had picked up moisture from being inside. I sat the case near the heater overnight, and there was no moisture, so no fogging the next day.

The lens on the case is exposed, and can easily get scratched, so that's something to be very careful about. I keep mine stored in the plastic sleeve it shipped with, and ensure I handle it carefully.

I found the 170 degree FOV good for skiing / snowboarding, although the 120 deg will probably be better for motorsport applications.

Just looking at what kinds of mounts I can make for it to use it in motorsport use. The adhesive mounts stick very well, but of course you can't swap from helmet to helmet.

All in all I'm pretty impressed with the quality of this thing (typical Sony), but TBH I haven't compared too many other motorsport cameras.

• 3 months later...

Tossing up between the Drift Ghost HD and the Hero3 Silver.

Ghost has better lense/quality, better battery life, access to ports (no skeleton cases), built-in screen, remote included. But will set me back around $450 + SD + extra battery + rollbar mount.

Hero3 Silver does many basics that Ghost does but $100 cheaper and probably more of a market for accessories/2nd-hand gear. $320 + SD + extra battery + rollbar mount + ext. mic

:wacko: cant choose.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So considering a new camera for an upcoming holiday. I have an old Radcam and an old circa 2011 GoPro. Is there anything new to the market that is a better proposition?

It will be an open top car so external mic is a must so that wind noise doesnt ruin the footage.

I use a GoPro HD 3 Black or what ever they are called for bike stuff

But On dirt so the speeds aren't up there

It does cope with the rough stuff well

So considering a new camera for an upcoming holiday. I have an old Radcam and an old circa 2011 GoPro. Is there anything new to the market that is a better proposition?

It will be an open top car so external mic is a must so that wind noise doesnt ruin the footage.

I'm happy with my Drift Ghost HD.

its on the larger side, but works flawlessly when tied to the android/iphone app, has external mic output while still being water/splash proof.

roll-bar mount, extra battery, external mic and a hard case didnt set me back too much. Camzilla stock all the gear you need.

What is the audio like? That is whats most important to me...

I think the Hero 3+ is the way to go , just need to confirm the quality of the external mic

The HD Ghost quality is good. a bit quiet, but means it doesnt distort. However it does get wind noise.

The external mic doesnt get much wind noise, but is louder hence distorts etc.

here is a poorly compressed vid I took with it.

how are people mounting their cameras?

I have a suction mount and a roll-bar mount, but my harness bar is too low to see over the dash.

2 events ive been to now, the scrutineers have asked for a lanyard to be attached to the camera in case it comes off the mount. I was thinking of just using cable ties and wedging in a closed window or making a velcro strap or sorts.

any ideas?

My last event was just using a cheap suction mount on the windscreen, I have a RAM mount for outside of the car, but need one more piece for it.

Roll bar would be awesome also, but I'd be using one of the diagonals as harness bar is too low.

Nothing has been said to me about extra tethers, but it makes sense. Surely cable tie would be enough.

any ideas?

Mount after scrutineering :-)

Otherwise depends, I have camera tethers I can loop round objects but I mount on the front bar and harness bar(with extension for extra height), sometimes behind the rear view mirror via those 3m gopro mounts.

I've got Camzilla suction cup and roll cage mounts, one long and one short arm. You can chain the arms together as well. Would solve the problem of the harness bar being too for the camera to see over the dash. They're very good quality and not expensive.

And I use a thin plastic coated wire (from Bunnings) and U clamps when the camera is mounted externally. One end looped around the arm of my Camzilla mount, run the wire through the window and loop that end around a grab handle. Only takes a minute to put it on.

Edited by hrd-hr30

Does anyone want this Ram Mount for an iPhone 4/4S?

Part number: RAM-HOL-AP9
This is just the phone mount, you need the rest of the mount to go with it.
Brand new, removed from pack and test fitted, ended up going a different way (for in car lap timing).
Going cheap, can post.

RAM-HOL-AP9U1.jpg

• 7 months later...

What's the latest thinking for in car video? I've got a track day on the 31st Jan and I'd like to get some footage. Latest GoPro is a HERO4 Black which is pricey considering the extras you have to buy. Unsure of other options.

Be good to get your thoughts.

Cheers.