SAU Community

Video Cameras For Motorsport Use

Roy

So many options these days.

Contour Cam, DriftCam, Sony make some good ones now, plus all the cheaper chinese knock offs are getting quite good.

Even JayCar sells something half decent.

Doesn't seem like you can go wrong these days if all you need is in car and will be putting it on youtube.

External footage is different as you need decent casings and wind proofing for sound etc, plus you might want something with external mic ability and at least remote start/stop but so many cameras have that now.

http://www.replay-xd.com.au/

Anyone got a camera from these guys. Guy at Camzilla said they're supposed to be good for in-car even though they don't stock them. Bike guys seem to like them but perhaps as they're very small. They're reviewed OK, but online reviews are suspicious in my view. They rarely appear to be objective and unbiased and GroPro seems to dominate everywhere.

• 1 year later...

So....another year.....another request for updates. I can't see Mark Clair's Racerecall site any more so I guess his business didn't make it :(

My radcam has not worked so good since I plugged it into 12v instead of 5v :blush:

So....what does full HD, can run off 12v, has one or more remote camera heads and records to SD? Oh, and has been reliable

So the setup I have put my money into is:

- Harrys Lap Timer app running on iPhone 6

- Vbox Sport 20Hz GPS unit Bluetooth to the iPhone to boost the GPS signal from 1Hz

- GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition 1080p@48fps wifi'd to the iPhone with 3x batteries and 2x 64gb cards

- Edutige ETM-008 uni-directional external microphone mounted under the dash

The GoPro can be run off a larger external battery supply but I haven't tried that yet.

Go Pros are way overpriced now I reckon but their mounting accessories etc are great so it seems to make sense to me to get a good knock off to take advantage of that. Go Pro have the name and are cashing in on that. There is no reason why a knock off should not be as good, there is nothing secret about a Go Pro, it's really just another camera.

The knock off I got was a mid spec GitUp Git 1 Pro, there is a higher spec one but they both have the same 'catchy' lol GitUp name. Have not used it yet but the accessories it came with look to be good quality.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The knock off I got was a mid spec GitUp Git 1 Pro, there is a higher spec one but they both have the same 'catchy' lol GitUp name. Have not used it yet but the accessories it came with look to be good quality.

Any feedback yet? I need a new camera and dont have many pennies

It was a bit of an impulse buy Roy so it has not been used yet, the old DigiLife one is till working fine. There are GitUp demo videos around though.

I've been enjoying my new GoPro Hero Session. Nice form factor and all in one - one button start. Downside is non-removable battery. But it is supposed to get 2 hrs on a charge (probably more like an hour and a half). Shoots Full HD.

Also anyone that adds their telemetry data from GPS or ECU - Dashware has gone freeware. Go get your copy if you want to add gauges or track times to your videos.

I just got done adding some data for diagnostic of a cut out problem. Makes it so much easier to understand when you can look at all the data in real time overlay to video.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got one of the 360fly camera's.

It's very cool - but the YouTube uploads are currently crap. Really only uploads well to Facebook.

But I can see these taking over from GoPro's as the cool sports camera to have.

I really think it's awesome. As I said the only real bad side is that Facebook seems to be the main public place to show the quality.

I uploaded one to Youtube but probably won't do it again. I tried to share it on another forum and it seems the 3D thingy from Youtube doesn't work on mobile devices as well as losing all clarity. But on Facebook and direct to my phone it's mega.

• Like 1

Also anyone that adds their telemetry data from GPS or ECU - Dashware has gone freeware. Go get your copy if you want to add gauges or track times to your videos.

But Dashware isn't being supported by Google, the output formats = 1 that isn't overly compressed but it muffles audio - there response this was how they aquired it.

I really think it's awesome. As I said the only real bad side is that Facebook seems to be the main public place to show the quality.

I uploaded one to Youtube but probably won't do it again. I tried to share it on another forum and it seems the 3D thingy from Youtube doesn't work on mobile devices as well as losing all clarity. But on Facebook and direct to my phone it's mega.

They are a mega impressive camera. Give them 24 months and GoPro and anyone else that wants to compete will have to offer an equivelant.

Meanwhile. I just loaded up on spares for my RadCam....at least I know it in and out

I've been watching for the release of the 360fly 4k. Sounds like it might ship by the end of the month. Aud 850 for that one. Kodak has a 4k version out now too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Fellas,

So I did end up buying a 360fly4k. The unit is great and easy to use. But getting the video into something youtube will accept is a little fiddly. Also no many editing packages support 360 degree format yet.

I haven't been able to successfully get facebook to accept the format yet either.

Here are a couple of videos I shot at the GTR Festival and the SAU NSW Texikhana.

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered another good feature of the GoPro. Its replaceable case. Gave my Radcam another go on a recent holiday and in an open top car the glass lense has now picked up a few scratches/chips from stones etc and its not causing blotting on what used to be pretty goo quality video