SAU Community

Is A Cold Air Intake Illegal For A Red P Plater?

Is a cold air intake illegal for a red P plater? And, for that matter, green P plater?

I cant seem to find anything about cold air intakes in engine mod laws

Any form of engine modification that will result in increased power is not allowed on P's peroid, without an exception letter. Thats Victoria I'm not sure about the other states.

Is a cold air intake illegal for a red P plater? And, for that matter, green P plater?

I cant seem to find anything about cold air intakes in engine mod laws

The only reason you would require a cai is if you have a pod, a pod is an illegal mod for p plater which means that the cai is no illegal but the pod is.

Pods arent illegal.. Its illegal to have 2 intake mods. Eg cooler AND pod. A pod with cold air intake will be fine if you have the stock cooler.

Does that include p platers who are not allowed to have any mods?

CAI is fine as long as the filter is enclosed(stock air box), not sure but a gtst has a CAI as standard with the stock air box, swap it over, not sure but that shouldnt be to hard.

What car is this for.

MLR

Does that include p platers who are not allowed to have any mods?

What new p platers arent allowed ANY mods at all??? Are you sure?

Considering red p's cant have and turbos then i dont see how a pod filter could possibly be illegal...

your best bet is to check with what ever state you are in (after all is the person on here that says you can have one going to pay you fine and take the points when the cops pull you over and say you cant) , would have been helpfull to mention what state your in as every state has different laws.

What new p platers arent allowed ANY mods at all??? Are you sure?

Considering red p's cant have and turbos then i dont see how a pod filter could possibly be illegal...

The new P's laws in Vic state the car cannot be modified

Time for you to get upto date on the laws that have been around for nearly 18months now ;)

Sucks to be on P's these days hehe

So

Not even just a cold air intake without a pod??

And not on green p's either?

Lame =(

I was keen on doing it for greens

they have one standard why do you want to replace it?

Time for you to get upto date on the laws that have been around for nearly 18months now

Lol why would i? they dont affect me or anyone i know..

Sucks to be on P's these days hehe

Yeah i agree with that

So basically no one with red p's is allowed to drive any skyline at all unless it is completely stock?

What about highflow panel filters and crap like that? Cant imagine there would be any COMPLETELY unmodified skylines around.

Greens can, its reds that apparently cant

For someone that admits he knows nothing about the new laws you sure talk a lot :P

Keep your posts to yourself if you have no idea on the topic, it could be an expensive exercise for the person on the other end.

Any P-plater that got his/her P's, after the date the new laws were introduced/enforced, can not modify their cars in ANY manner that would increase the power output of the car; as far as VIC laws are concerned.

red p's in nsw can't have any power mods at all, no exeptions have been given (turbo exceptions have been given to some p platers). Also to put another spin on things, in NSW even an enclosed pod can not be deemed as legal unless it is specifed in the rego as being engineered.... engeneering is a load of crap to begin with, especially with these mass produced items. they are meant to be a fire hazard and they also alter your exhaust emmision (ever so slightly) so when you go get an emmisions test you will 99.9% of the time fail. even a bloody non turbo stock standard r33 will fail emmisions test lol, not to mention most of the cars over 5 years old lol....

having said this i'm a p plater who got his p's before the gay rules came out so i got an r33 gtst, got front mount, turbo back exhaust, 10psi boost and a not enclosed pod and haven't been hassled at all. Also i should mention that my pod has never caught fire lol.

For someone that admits he knows nothing about the new laws you sure talk a lot :P

Keep your posts to yourself if you have no idea on the topic, it could be an expensive exercise for the person on the other end.

Any P-plater that got his/her P's, after the date the new laws were introduced/enforced, can not modify their cars in ANY manner that would increase the power output of the car.

OK then mate please help me understand.

You say that new p's are people that got them after that date 1.5 years ago now right?

So wouldnt that make them red p's therefore allowing green p's to still modify 1 intake componant?

People who got their p's before this date (green p's) have not changed in any way right?

Cops always tell me im not allowed more than 1 intake mod.. which would prove that green p's laws havent change? And why would they. That means that every green p with even a slightly modified car would have to sell it now?

I dont want to give anyone the wrong info this is just what i have been told by police, vic roads, tuners etc so please answer my questions so i can have a better understanding..

Cheers

Found this on vic roads website:

From 1 July 2007, new restrictions on driving high powered vehicles were introduced for probationary licence drivers who obtained their licence from this date.

From this date a probationary licence holder cannot drive a vehicle if it has an engine that has been modified to increase its performance.

The previous power to weight restrictions will continue to apply for drivers who obtained their probationary licences before 1 July 2007.

So how do you get that this means people who got their p's before july 2007 cant have a cold air intake?

Found this on vic roads website:

From 1 July 2007, new restrictions on driving high powered vehicles were introduced for probationary licence drivers who obtained their licence from this date.

From this date a probationary licence holder cannot drive a vehicle if it has an engine that has been modified to increase its performance.

The previous power to weight restrictions will continue to apply for drivers who obtained their probationary licences before 1 July 2007.

So how do you get that this means people who got their p's before july 2007 cant have a cold air intake?

^^That is what i was referring to.

Anyone that got their license after 1 July 2007, can not modify their car's power output; whether they are on their red or green plates. You mentioned that you can modify you intake on green P's, which isn't true if you got your license after this date. \/ \/

Greens can, its reds that apparently cant

Anyone that had their license before this date is still restricted to power/weight limitations. So ALL P-platers driving turbo R33's and R34's are doing so illegally. I know of a couple of people that sold their Skylines because the police kept pulling them up and fining them for this offense.

Yeah thats what i thought. Apart from the bit that new p's cant modify their car at all. That sux. Sorry i forgot that there are some people that have green p's but got them after july '07. I assumed all new ones were red, so MOST green p's are allowed a cold air intake but only the ones before july 07.

Thanks for clearing that up, sorry if i sounded like a know-it-all lol.

And yeah i have seen a hell of a lot of r33 and r34 p'platers which i would have thought is just asking for a fine? How do you p'platers go with 33 and 34 turbo models?

All good mate, i too apologies if you feel like i "shut you down" a bit too strongly, but i've had a few expensive lessons learnt over my 8yr Skyline ownership.

From what i hear only 1% of p-platers get hassled about the power/weight restriction. I know when i was on my P's, in the mid 90's, that law was enforced a great deal more strictly; it's like most cops have forgotten about it.