SAU Community

The Insurance Thread

heslo

Do Shannons do pay by month? Do they charge for it?

Yep shannons give you the option of pay by the month and they dont charge you any extra for it.

just take your premium and divide it by 12 and give them your banks details and make sure the payment goes through lol

adjustable coilovers have, and always will be defectable, but if they don't contribute to an accident, you're more than likely gonna get away with it.....I can't speak for all insurance companies but they generally share their investigators (subcontactors like me)

This is a bit of a misunderstanding. There is NO legislation about adjustible coil overs. Even regency have admitted its an 'unwritten rule'. If they try that crap, ask them to refer you to the legislation.

What is defectable however is adjustible suspension that is set too low. Regency state that you have to weld the thread so the adjustible suspension cannot be lowered past the legal height, but even then that might not be a requirement. Pedders have been having arguments with regency for the last 18 months since they started selling their own brand of coil overs. I'll do some more research but for now I'm not convinced of either argument (since its a he said/she said argument).

Written legislation wins, period.

-D

but ring them and they will adjust your agreed value according to your modifications. hopefully. or weasel your way into shannons and they may do an inspection before they work out your agreed value.

well ended up with shannons today

agreed value of 30k for 2000 GTT

deductible 500

43yrs old rating 1, no tix, no accidents, no claims, ever knock on wood.lol

69 a month .lol it pays to live in the sticks/beach

others seemed to think the car devalued by over 10k this year had to insist the car was worth more then 24k,,,,hmm bet they couldn't replace it for that much unless it had over 100k on it. chicken shit insurance companies try to wiggle out of everything dont they??????

the coilover deal was from a friend of mine who wrote off a car, not his fault a dude drilled him from behind at the lights. when just cars inspected the car he had to fight about the coilovers. even if it had factory option wheels with stock uprated tire sizes. they ended up covering him but not without a bit of a fight. the car was legal height barely.

This is a bit of a misunderstanding. There is NO legislation about adjustible coil overs. Even regency have admitted its an 'unwritten rule'. If they try that crap, ask them to refer you to the legislation.

What is defectable however is adjustible suspension that is set too low. Regency state that you have to weld the thread so the adjustible suspension cannot be lowered past the legal height, but even then that might not be a requirement. Pedders have been having arguments with regency for the last 18 months since they started selling their own brand of coil overs. I'll do some more research but for now I'm not convinced of either argument (since its a he said/she said argument).

Written legislation wins, period.

-D

Ben, it's a play on words.....at the end of the day any suspension that can have ride height adjusted to lower than written regs, is a defect and not only can be enforced but is regularly.

the coilover deal was from a friend of mine who wrote off a car, not his fault a dude drilled him from behind at the lights. when just cars inspected the car he had to fight about the coilovers. even if it had factory option wheels with stock uprated tire sizes. they ended up covering him but not without a bit of a fight. the car was legal height barely.

I'm guessing that's what saved his bacon in the end

Ben, it's a play on words.....at the end of the day any suspension that can have ride height adjusted to lower than written regs, is a defect and not only can be enforced but is regularly.

Keyword being 'written regs'. If its not written, its not a regulation - which is why I'll be checking in with the guys at Pedders to see how they go fighting regency.

-D

Minimum ride heights are written.......and for that matter even stock non adjustable suspension is defectable if it's been lowered below written regs

Agreed - >IF< its been lowered past the written regs. SO i dont see how it would be any different with "legal" adjustible suspension, provided it hasnt been lowered past the legal ride height. That is the crux of the argument...

-D

I know what you're saying Ben but I think if Peddars have their hands full with the adjustable argument at the moment then the average Joe Blow won't stand much of a chance me thinks.

Modern European vehicles come with adjustable airbag suspension but won't go below a certain height to be allowed ADR compliancy....hence why Regency will still tell you to weld adjustable coilovers........hopefully someone like Peddars can take it up to them.

A good and similar arguement that I had when getting my bike through Regency is the 550mm maximum rake allowed for the front end.......I had to get the neck of the frame cut and rewelded after taking 4 deg out of the neck. That stuffed up the whole geometry of the bike by affecting the trail. I had to then stuff around with the rake of the triple trees just so it wouldn't be dangerous to ride but ultimately it was perfect the way it was before.

Similar can be said about lowering a car correctly......it handles better with the correct suspension compensation.

I know what you're saying Ben but I think if Peddars have their hands full with the adjustable argument at the moment then the average Joe Blow won't stand much of a chance me thinks.

Modern European vehicles come with adjustable airbag suspension but won't go below a certain height to be allowed ADR compliancy....hence why Regency will still tell you to weld adjustable coilovers........hopefully someone like Peddars can take it up to them.

A good and similar arguement that I had when getting my bike through Regency is the 550mm maximum rake allowed for the front end.......I had to get the neck of the frame cut and rewelded after taking 4 deg out of the neck. That stuffed up the whole geometry of the bike by affecting the trail. I had to then stuff around with the rake of the triple trees just so it wouldn't be dangerous to ride but ultimately it was perfect the way it was before.

Similar can be said about lowering a car correctly......it handles better with the correct suspension compensation.

Cant argue with that at all. Have considered putting my suspension back to stock but have been told the coilovers still give the best performance (if you can tolerate feeling every single bump). Car is lowered 5mm front and rear too low, so I have to do something. I also dont like the fact that when u lower the fronts you get less of a turning circle. Skylines have a shit turning circle to begin with, I'm loathe to make it worse ;P

And yeah, I certainly wouldn't bother arguing with regency, but if pedders are already doing it then I'm going to keep tuned as to where they go... I would make a point about the european cars being released in Australia and not subject to compliancy (and they would be subject to the regulations from the year its built, an 89 skyline doesnt have to meet certain regs if imported under the previous 15 year rule) - tho I would agree with your point because regardless of year or released domestic market, the ride height is one of those things set in stone.

-D

its not skylines that have a crap turning circle its because of AWD

agree 100% with AWD,

mine turns just fine :P

my old VR4, shit turns= AWD

my old Dodge V10 4x4 truck, = Shit turns, not including its like a ocean going oil tanker long..lol

but even worse , a new camry,, shocking turn circle on the 4 cyl models.. just about have to throw the hand brake to slide it.. just to make a turn...lol

no exaggerating at all. the car is crap on wheels

I'm guessing that's what saved his bacon in the end

Pete

I think it was more the fact he wasn't moving, but parked at the lights and was hit from a dude going 80k who never even hit his brakes until after he hit him. and the factory optioned wheels , not weird offsets or huge sizes. and new rubber.

more like a GTR R34 wheel on a GTT

and they saw his car was modified by professionals not hacked up backyard jobs. but it was barely legal cause his stereo/frame mounted tow bar wasn't installed when he got the shocks installed, so it was lower due to weight in the back of the car from those items.

what a quagmire of laws & regs, lol

regency and insurance VS. consumers