SAU Community

The Insurance Thread

heslo

When a car rear ends another car it is always the back cars fault, even if you stop to do an illegal u turn, slam on the skids for no apparent reason etc.

The exception is if there is an intoxicated driver, then it's his fault no matter what.

A mate of mine found this out the hard way, he was in a 6 car pile up at a set of traffic lights, in the middle, and had to pay for the lot after he blew just over the limit (0.07 i think) He's still paying it off after 5 years

its not skylines that have a crap turning circle its because of AWD

nonsense. the geometry of the car is the same with AWD. when you lower the car, the front wheels go back an Few centimeters. I lowered my r31 ages ago with shortened king springs, turning circle was greatly reduced. do the math instead of saying 'oh its awd' - that is unless your definition of turning involves flooring the accelerator and spinning the rears...

-D

Edited by Dohmar

29yo Rating 1 NCB - Shannons agreed value, mods listed $800pa

Excess $450 off the top of my head. Excess with Shannons is bugger all.

Also have the VX through Shannons as they were cheaper than any one else.

nonsense. the geometry of the car is the same with AWD. when you lower the car, the front wheels go back an Few centimeters. I lowered my r31 ages ago with shortened king springs, turning circle was greatly reduced. do the math instead of saying 'oh its awd' - that is unless your definition of turning involves flooring the accelerator and spinning the rears...

-D

Sorry Off topic , but the driveline on AWD and 4x4 binds and front wheel drive too, killing the turning radius, the numbers dont lie

GTR R34

imentions Length 4600mm Width 1785mm Height 1360mm Wheelbase 2665mm Turning Circle 11.2 m

R34 GTT

Dimentions Length 4580 mm Width 1725 mm Height 1340 mm Wheelbase 2665 mm Turning Circle 10.2 m Chassis & Body

Edited by sapphiregraphics

-D

no i have no problem with turning circle or any circle for that matter

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WPrKQLtbLGk

Sorry Off topic , but the driveline on AWD and 4x4 binds and front wheel drive too, killing the turning radius, the numbers dont lie

GTR R34

imentions Length 4600mm Width 1785mm Height 1360mm Wheelbase 2665mm Turning Circle 11.2 m

R34 GTT

Dimentions Length 4580 mm Width 1725 mm Height 1340 mm Wheelbase 2665 mm Turning Circle 10.2 m Chassis & Body

But the 4wd is not active during slow driving and the front diffs are open wheelers, well they are on 32/33 GTR's not sure about the 34's. Maybe they have less turning because the front drive shafts limit the amount of lock that can be used.

Edited by DSTROY

a little of both chad its my understanding that with the front CV's you cant turn the wheel as far lock to lock and 33'2 onwards have about 10% preload on the front transfer case that's why we cant just pull a fuse

Big thumbs up for shannons here. Had a not at fault claim last year and everything was so silky smooth.

Anyway my insurance:

R32GTR - 17k agreed value, Premimum just over 1k (about 1060 i think, cant be bothered finding the paperwork), $500 excess

03 VW Bora 4motion - 20k agreed, premimum 860, excess 300

99 VT Wagon - 7k agreed, premimum 560, excess 300 (somebody buy me :P)

Pretty happy with what im paying since im 22, that said i've got a clean driving history and have never made an at fault claim!

Dont forget guys, if your with shannons and have your cams license you get a 10% discount on your policy's!

true damo, hopefully they post only if the insurance is just in there name, cause in the parents name its pointless to hear numbers. the rates will vary dramatically if mum is the "primary driver" lol god I would hate to be in the car with my mum driving a car with power she had a 928s a long time ago but since then puddle jumper cars...lol I cant even let her drive in low power car , i dont have a death wish,,,, she is too cautious to be safe..lol

Edited by sapphiregraphics

true damo, hopefully they post only if the insurance is just in there name, cause in the parents name its pointless to hear numbers. the rates will vary dramatically if mum is the "primary driver" lol god I would hate to be in the car with my mum driving a car with power she had a 928s a long time ago but since then puddle jumper cars...lol I cant even let her drive in low power car , i dont have a death wish,,,, she is too cautious to be safe..lol

Very well said mate

My quote is genuine as i called up and they would only insure the youngest driver

so the quote is under my name and only me

Try doing a online quote with Shannons... they don't even have Skyline listed for ANY year!

Edit: and you MUST be 25+ to even get a online quote!

Try giving them a call mate

I had troubles getting online quotes

So i gave them a call and got a quote all set up and shiz

never been so happy lol

more and more shannons customers under 25....

About 2yrs ago they changed their policy i believe about under 25 drivers, the change meant that if you were under 25 and drove a performance car they would be less likely to insure your or would not at all. However i've been with them for some time now so i slipped in around this. According to my insurance guy at shannons if i were to try and get insurance now with them and i'd never had a policy with them before i'd be declined.

Oh and for any performance car in most cases it needs to be in a locked garage for them to cover it too.

Yup my policy's are in my name only. I too would hate to see my dad drive any of my cars as he's never driven a car with power + he's not the greatest driver as he's too carefull yet careless at the same time (drives slowly but carelessly). The most powerfull car he's driven was a 1.6L fwd pulsar.

Edited by WhO

About 2yrs ago they changed their policy i believe about under 25 drivers, the change meant that if you were under 25 and drove a performance car they would be less likely to insure your or would not at all. However i've been with them for some time now so i slipped in around this. According to my insurance guy at shannons if i were to try and get insurance now with them and i'd never had a policy with them before i'd be declined.

Oh and for any performance car in most cases it needs to be in a locked garage for them to cover it too.

I think thats what sealed the deal for me with shannons