SAU Community

R32 Gtr Suspension

Type Flex have been replaced by Monoflex, which on paper should be better then the Super Streets as they are monotube. But i have not driven a car with them, whereas the SS i have and liked them. I would be running them if i didnt get the RA tweaked. The SS seem to be the easy turn key package that gives you soem flexibility with playing with ride heights to get right then damping to play with. Bilsteins were a decent enough thing in my car but as an off the shelf package they are not sport enough in my opinion for a weekend track/club car.

You need to have played a little with them as djr81 has

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So its:

Super street Front 5kg/mm, rear 4kg/mm

Mono Flex 7/7

Ultimate Spec Circuit Master Super Racing 12/12

What then are the RA/RE's?

The Bilsteins appear to be happy on a GT-R with a 5kgmm/4kgmm spring rate but I do not know how much higher you can go on spring rates without them being revalved. AFAIK the damper rates for 5/4kg springs are the same as those for the Whiteline springs. I have those rates somewhere & will dig them out.

Well it seems the $ and Yen has made anything from Tein SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than they used to be. Apparently there is no old stock in the country, so new pricing even on the SS models are equal to or even more expensive than the Bilstein B6/8.....

I had a long chat with Centreline today and in his opinion (price aside) I need more than the Super Street. From the Tein range he suggested Monoflex as a minimum. He also offers Bilstein stuff too. They'll more or less do the same deal as Quadrant, but interestingly may have an option for some PSS9s which will be modified from R34 GTR items to fit the R32......I'll put them on the spot tomorrow to see how deliverable this really is. They will end up $500 more expensive than the std B6/8 Bilstein option.

Thanks for all the input so far.

and then there are these...

http://www.buddyclub.com.au/

N+ $2,300 or Racing Spec. 'three thousand and something'......Apparently there is no stock at all in the country and no-one knows when there will be. I'm getting a call back apparently.

So, Tein are apparently re-negotiating with Fulcrum as they've sold nothing this year because of the currency situation, but at this stage are out on pricing. Bilstein do not make a coilover apart from the PSS9 which is expensive and no longer available for an R32 GTR (last 8 kits sold the Unique Autosports), but someone is looking into adapting an R34 kit to suit. Lastly there is a 'home made' coil over kit, built up from the Bilstein B6/8 damper unit. At least this is available, has custom springs and damper valving. But we can all guess it's going to cost me.

So apparently if you have an R32 GTR its 'home made' Bilsteins or nothing right now....

Good info. So does Unique have any PSS9's left?

No.

One crucial question is: What spring rates are you going to run?

Dunno. Once I settle on what I'm buying and from who, I'll then worry about that detail. Plenty of good info on this post and I'll start researching

I'm running 650lb springs in the front, but not sure what Ben from Racepace put in the rears. Will have a look on the weekend.

All this metric stuff is too hard to understand!!!

I'm running 650lb springs in the front, but not sure what Ben from Racepace put in the rears. Will have a look on the weekend.

All this metric stuff is too hard to understand!!!

Go metric man, its not 1965 anymore. :)

650lb/in approx equals 11.6kg/mm. Kinnard in otherwords.

I'd guess the rears would be about 550lb/inch.

Does your avatar show the car with those spring rates?

Edited by djr81

Yeah it does, the picture was taken as I was coming out of honda (turn 4) at Phillip Island.

Go metric man, its not 1965 anymore. :)

Go metric man, its not 1965 anymore. :sweat:

I have a set of PSS9's for my R33 GTR waiting to go on and what I was told by a fella from Bilstein Australia was that the max on the front was 650lb/in and the rear 450lb/in. I would express that in metric but can't be assed converting.

Mike

Hi just thought i would add i have A R32 GTR and have the new Tein monoflex coil overs and with the stock rims my car handles great and the best of all is very comfortable on the road.

I dont have a very good back and i will say that these are awesome bit of kit.

A few of my friends have had the super streets they are a little softer but are not base height adjustable so when you lower the car it starts to compress the springs and they dont handle and feel as good anymore.

I know they are expensive but damn you can have a very good handling street and track car with these.

Just my 2 cents of info.

The search is over. I've found these Killabee Coilovers! That bee sure looks tough. LOL at whoring my own thread.

I've got a couple of second hand options now. Revalved Bilsteins, and some Ohlins (more details to come), so I'll get the detail on here ASAP.

post-46395-1237494104_thumb.jpg

A couple of cornering shots, both with the same setup, it picks up the inside front a bit....

Good shots. My thing is approx the same but doesn't quite lift the inside front. This is possibly because I run a Cusco rear sway bar rather than the Whiteline. In spring rate it works out to be 20% harder. My springs proper are softer than yours.

The worry I have is that if you do lose contact on the front inside then there is no way you will get any gain from having an AWD system. No front LSD means the inside front will just bag up.

As an aside I would love to know what the damper forces (bump & rebound) are for the Bilstein shocks used on the R32 GT-Rs, ie the

B46 1471 (Front)

B46 1472 (Rear).

There would, presumably, be a range of springs with which they work.

Equally I would imagine the damping forces would be greater on a 'revalved' shock built to accomodate a harder spring.

If anyone knows this stuff it would be great to pass on. It may also help people with adjustable shocks - providing ofcourse they have the velocity - damping force graphs for the various adjustments....

Edited by djr81

Good shots. My thing is approx the same but doesn't quite lift the inside front. This is possibly because I run a Cusco rear sway bar rather than the Whiteline. In spring rate it works out to be 20% harder. My springs proper are softer than yours.

The worry I have is that if you do lose contact on the front inside then there is no way you will get any gain from having an AWD system. No front LSD means the inside front will just bag up.

As an aside I would love to know what the damper forces (bump & rebound) are for the Bilstein shocks used on the R32 GT-Rs, ie the

B46 1471 (Front)

B46 1472 (Rear).

There would, presumably, be a range of springs with which they work.

Equally I would imagine the damping forces would be greater on a 'revalved' shock built to accomodate a harder spring.

If anyone knows this stuff it would be great to pass on. It may also help people with adjustable shocks - providing ofcourse they have the velocity - damping force graphs for the various adjustments....

I get virtually no front drive through the apex of corners with any more than 10% of lock on anyway, as that's the way I understand the ATTESSA logic works. I've got a torque split adjuster that can alter it however I find I need the grip more when the car is straightened up and the right foot gets planted. In that instance the lift has gone and the front drive is doing its thing.

I've never driven a GT-R with a front LSD so have no idea how much of a difference it would make. In my old Sti it was a huge difference, but the two 4WD systems are vastly different.

The TEIN RE's that I've got have had the bump valving tricked up for the big springs, with a view to making ripple strip hits a non issue. The shock dyno graphs interestingly show very little difference between the two adjustment extremes.

I get virtually no front drive through the apex of corners with any more than 10% of lock on anyway, as that's the way I understand the ATTESSA logic works. I've got a torque split adjuster that can alter it however I find I need the grip more when the car is straightened up and the right foot gets planted. In that instance the lift has gone and the front drive is doing its thing.

I've never driven a GT-R with a front LSD so have no idea how much of a difference it would make. In my old Sti it was a huge difference, but the two 4WD systems are vastly different.

The TEIN RE's that I've got have had the bump valving tricked up for the big springs, with a view to making ripple strip hits a non issue. The shock dyno graphs interestingly show very little difference between the two adjustment extremes.

This may make you physically ill (you have been warned) but here is how the Emo boys do it. Notice how early in the corner the driver is on the gas. I think that is most of the reason they brain the GT-Rs in mickey mouse kharna stuff.

I found a huge diference in the car when I found some more front end grip. It meant that I could get onto the power alot earlier. It may well be the attessa/steering lock interaction you mentioned. Is it 10 degrees steering wheel movement or 10 degree road wheel movement?

Oh and I still owe you some DL1 data. I will get it sorted but I have had issues with my logger. The 12V inputs & rpm have died on it. I need to post it back & get it fixed. :)

I guess if the adjustment is on the high speed compression it will only show on the far RHS of the (usually) lower half of the graph. Everything else should stay much the same.

Edited by djr81

Is it 10 degrees steering wheel movement or 10 degree road wheel movement?

It's based on the steering wheel sensor input into the ATTESSA black box. That's why some aftermarket steering wheels make the system go into limp mode as the boss is not compatable.

It's based on the steering wheel sensor input into the ATTESSA black box. That's why some aftermarket steering wheels make the system go into limp mode as the boss is not compatable.

Hmm, ok. I am more than a little confused. I can find three steering inputs to the HICAS system (left, straight ahead & right) but none into the ETS control unit. (Page CH66 of the manual).

It has 4x wheel speed.

Inputs for the three (2 foreaft & 1 lateral) accelerometers

Stop lamp switch input.

Reverse lamp switch input.

Throttle signal input.

But I cannot find a steering input in the ETS system. :P:D