SAU Community

R32 Gtr Suspension

OK. We'll I've now had a chat with a local DMS agent and they can use Nolathane spring tops with the existing mounts (with a little fabrication). The DMS springs are straight as opposed to the tapered variety which are stock, so hence the need. Nolathane in place of steel or aluminium means there will be less noise transfer at the top of the spring to the car (which will shit me).

They're suggesting a dual rate spring, with thinner gauge spring top for more compliance on the intial travel, then the full spring rate beyond that. What do we all think of linear springs versus 2 stage?

I should have a quote for all this frigging around, some time tomorrow.

Whether or not there is a rubber (or other polymer) end stop to the spring shouldn't be a function of it being linear, rising rate, tapered or straight. There are heaps of options, none of which are difficult. Just a matter of getting the mount to accept the end stop as well as the spring.

http://www.resuspension.com/cart/home.php

I much prefer linear springs. Simply because you can muck about with compliance with the end stops. Oh and if you run R comps on the road the things are that harsh/noisey you will never tell anyway.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, well it really now comes down to DMS 50mm or the Bilstein 'home made' coilovers. They are withing a couple of hundred bucks of each other. The DMS product has full external adjustability and the BS has none. The DMS seem like good quality stuff but do not seem to be the regular way to go on a GTR. Might just be a popularity thing, which is not always a good reaon to go one way or another.

The fitter in the DMS case will weld a locating ring to the standard tops and hae a polyurathane top to the coilover to stop any vibe transfers to the car.

At this stage the DMS are getting my vote as they're slightly cheaper, are adjustable, are Oz made and supported and are a slightly 'different' option.

Any final comments or suggestions?

Cheers for all your support and assistance.

So the DMS 50mm product is going into my car Friday 17th. I'll post up my opinion of them once fitted & fanged.

Sooooo what spring rates did you settle on?

Also I am interested to see how they dealt with the mods for the spring rubbers.

Sooooo what spring rates did you settle on?

Also I am interested to see how they dealt with the mods for the spring rubbers.

Re spring rubbers I'm going to ask them to take photos of their fabrication before they go into the car. So I can see what I've paid for, the quality of the work and how it all works. I'll post up once I have them.

Where are you getting them from. If car setup is something you need help with then Jeff over at Techsport in Bayswater knows club cars and uses lots od DMS gear in this cars. So...may be an option

Where are you getting them from. If car setup is something you need help with then Jeff over at Techsport in Bayswater knows club cars and uses lots od DMS gear in this cars. So...may be an option

Jeff is doing them lol. I'll ask him but always best to have your own info too........

...and? First thoughts?

Well, they had a 'timing' problem on the day and I picked my car up with the DMS fitted and the toe set, but that was it........They're picking my car up from my office next Friday (and delivering it back to me) to complete the alignment. Can't ask for more than that but I was pretty annoyed it wasn't finished at the time.....I guess shit happens.

However, first impressions are that the new set up is more compliant, though not as much as I thought it would be, and some how everything seems a little more delicate and communicative. The first drive is so hard to tell as you're expectations usually cloud any objective assessment. Not to mention I did 40kms on a freeway and had getting home in time for a card game on my mind! The steering seems different. Slightly lighter, and more detailed feedback. Wasn't expecting that. I did give it a few squirts on some corners and I guess the new set up felt 'easy'. Just did it. No fuss.

Anyhow, I'll get the final product, take it for a thrash and report back. They did get photos of the modified shock tops as I asked so I'll post them up too. I'll post the full set up once done. I asked them what ride height they set it too and they were working to......drum roll, guess who's advice.......son of rajab Ben of Racepace!! Turns out they all know each other....There is a 10mm difference from one side to the other at the rear. The lower side (10mm too low) looks way tough but in the name of performance will have to be raised in the final set up....

A GTR modifier's job is never done.......

Yeh, Techsport used to do all the wheel alignments for Ben. Honestly, in that one area with Racepace and Techsport and Trackside tyres you have all you need for your track car :) Of course you have Nizpro around the corner so..same thing

Yeh, Techsport used to do all the wheel alignments for Ben. Honestly, in that one area with Racepace and Techsport and Trackside tyres you have all you need for your track car ;) Of course you have Nizpro around the corner so..same thing

Yeah, all the convenience of Baywater, a $120 round trip cab ride from my office. :P . Still, the main point is quality support for teh GTR.

tick tock want the results :)

The Techsport EVO is in my car space and my car is at their workshop as I write this (they picked it up). I'll have it back at day end - subject to wife and family permission I'll be posting the results this evening - based on my 30km drive home through suburbia......so it'll all be about how comfy the ride was.