SAU Community

Circuit Racing Rear Wings

BezerkR32

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the splitter photos, was wondering how i'd go about them. would it be possible to fit one between the lip and bar? since my lip is very thin and fiberglass..

was thinking of going bodyforms rear carbon diffuser.. i think its top secret style. looks pretty nice.

Edited by Angus Smart

That front splitter for the Silvia is very similar to what Sydneykid has on his R32 with the exception that he has a brace that runs along the rear edge of the aluminium plate to provide additional support and rigidity.

If you can generate a static amount of front downforce from a splitter and canards then you can use an adjustable rear wing to make adjustment to the front to rear balance of the car to suite different tracks.

plan on doing the front bar, but only allowed to sheet to the rear edge of the front bar from what i understand.

yeah pretty much, front axle I think they say.

You should look at what John from UAS has done with his front undertray on the z...we are moving a long way from the ricer/mass market stuff most people on here know about.

The other guys doing good work with front splitters are BSM with the GTR sports sedan in NSW. Apparently the front splitter worked so well they ripped the front of the car off in testing at OP.

Will be itnerested to see what you go with - I am afraid this is one of the things we will need to spend real money on if we want a good quick car

Also, Race magazine have an interesting series on wings over the last 2 issues...

Roy has told me all about the front bar on the GTR and the problems they have encountered with it.

They had a cut up bumper support behind it which flexed to the point where the front of the car was dragging along the track.

From the data logs the front of the car actually drops by 50mm when the car reachs top speed around GP. I cant remember how much the rear dropped but it was not quiet as much.

Obviously it creates massive drag which is something the guys are working on as well.

watching the car come down the straight and into turn one is phenominal.

Edited by Risking

Thats Brilliant.

Ill have another look at Garys R32, its not as Radical as the BSM car, but similar.

i dunno. The 80's spring to mind....

2306744004_9510964aa7.jpg

The worlds ugliest s12 for the uninitiated >_<

There's an r31 of similar spec too but i couldn't find a photo quickly

thats an awesome bit of gear Niel, i have a much better appreciation for it after seeing it on the track.

everything on it is functional. Just smaller. but in saying that the aero is huge. goes to show the importance of well balanced splitter and wing combo.

I would think something like my dive planes would help as well.

post-29-1233582894_thumb.jpg

Neil.

Thanks mate I love her,,,but after a year of pussy-footing around last year,,,it's game on very soon.

This aero stuff is very interesting,,,but for us lot it's a black science.

Heres a couple of things I've learnt owning the Radical. When I bought it it had no dive planes fitted,,,Dennis the previous owner said they did nothing,,,I fitted those smaller ones and noticed an immediate increase in front grip. Now before we conclude that Dennis can't drive or doesn't know what he's talking about do a search on youtube and you will find that is incorrect.

The rear spoilers another interested one. At high speed hillclimbs I tend to start with max force and gradually straighen the spoiler as the day goes on but never straight. Maybe its the heat on the day but I always get quicker and quicker. On the slower ones a generally leave it close to max and go quicker as the day goes on.

Supersprints are even more interesting,,,you would think at E/C I would need big downforce as I'm almost flat through T1 but I don't and usually have the spoiler flat. It's almost like I could remove it and It would make no difference.

Did any of that make any sense,,,I'll bet not.

If I was fitting a rear spoiler to any tintop I think I would find one that attaches to the 1/4 panels which would aleviate the need to reinforce the boot lid. Why carry the extra weight. Duncan and Marks nugget has it done this way and while I think it to small and gay this fitted method is fantastic.

Neil.

Whats your thoughts on this guys? I only ask because it was given to me. Its a direct bolt on replacement for a std GTR wing...... dunno if it's be worth any time around Lakeside? I'm interested to see how it feels though.

Thoughts?

(didn't know whether to post this as I thought I might look like a cock)

24951187b__0x0.jpg

if its going to be worth time anywhere it wil be at lakeside. Highest average speed in the country and some very fast corners. take both it and your standard wing out there and swap them over during the day. laptimes don't lie.

Thanks mate I love her,,,but after a year of pussy-footing around last year,,,it's game on very soon.

This aero stuff is very interesting,,,but for us lot it's a black science.

Heres a couple of things I've learnt owning the Radical. When I bought it it had no dive planes fitted,,,Dennis the previous owner said they did nothing,,,I fitted those smaller ones and noticed an immediate increase in front grip. Now before we conclude that Dennis can't drive or doesn't know what he's talking about do a search on youtube and you will find that is incorrect.

The rear spoilers another interested one. At high speed hillclimbs I tend to start with max force and gradually straighen the spoiler as the day goes on but never straight. Maybe its the heat on the day but I always get quicker and quicker. On the slower ones a generally leave it close to max and go quicker as the day goes on.

Supersprints are even more interesting,,,you would think at E/C I would need big downforce as I'm almost flat through T1 but I don't and usually have the spoiler flat. It's almost like I could remove it and It would make no difference.

Did any of that make any sense,,,I'll bet not.

Neil.

Neil, what I take out of that is that you generally get faster at hillclimbs throughout the day regardless of what you are doing to your rear wing.

your EC T1 example - less angle of attack at higher speed = the same downforce with increased angle of attack at lower speed. so it probably maintains the overall aero balance of the car. it also means less drag which would be good for the long straight.

the front grip from the dive plates (canards?). did this equate to faster lap times? or changes to front tyre temps after a session? do you use any data logging? cold hard numbers reduce the chance of it being placebo effect. you make a change and go looking for the improvement.

Edited by hrd-hr30

Whats your thoughts on this guys? I only ask because it was given to me. Its a direct bolt on replacement for a std GTR wing...... dunno if it's be worth any time around Lakeside? I'm interested to see how it feels though.

Thoughts?

(didn't know whether to post this as I thought I might look like a cock)

24951187b__0x0.jpg

Well given that the GT-Rs struggle with front end grip unless you can otherwise make the thing oversteer past the apex I wouldn't fit the wing at all.

DJR, mine's actually a GTS-t and I don't really have front end grip issues post apex..... usually counter steering if anything..... as I'm interested to see and it's an easy swap over I'll do as Harry suggests...... nd await the howls of laughter from my peers :)