SAU Community

Driving Along, Engine Shut Off!

Zurlox

I bought a Skyline R32 GTS-T on SUNDAY!! (5 days ago)

and i was driving along the highway at 110 doing the limit when the engine shut itself off, no response from the accelerator, like the fuel supply had stopped.

i had a similar experience on monday when the car wouldnt start at all, after an hour of waiting it cranked over and i took it round to my mates place and we replaced the fuel pump with one from an R33 GTS-T.

any ideas on what the hell could be causing this?

Thanks

Zurlox

As already stated coil pack ignotor is a very likely culprit.

When my AFM was on its way out my car would randomly turn off and just refuse to start some days so that could be another avenue to look at.

a fix for that is to re-solder the wires inside the AFM.

wow, i have had the exact same thing happen to me twice in my 32 on the freeway...

My first thought were the fuel pump had cut out cause thats what it felt like!

although, it started after a couple of mins so it wouldn't have really had time to cool down...

Hmmm I might have to look at the Coil pack ignitor as well

I have had my 32 cut out once before and i found it to be a bad connection in the wiring loom that runs to the fuel pump. The problem was where the wires run into the connector in the boot under the metal plate. If you take the plate off and wiggle the wires while car is running, it'll make it sound as if it misses/pops a bit or will try to cut out (depends how bad the connection is).

Another option to try :(

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, im passing them all onto the mechanic i got looking at the car, and im learning at the same time :(

Much appreciated, will post when its fixed to let you know what it was.

Zurlox

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car back from the mechanics today, he found that the ignition switch had some dodgy connections, fixed them up and he said it didnt fail on him since.

so ill run it for a while and see how i go :S

im hoping its all sorted for good :D

well as it turns out, the issue hasnt been solved :(

today the car just wouldnt start at all, it was cranking, but wouldnt kick over, so i decided to ring the previous owners and they said they have never had such a problem with it and suggested changing the battery,

would the battery have such an influence on the car when the electronics appear to be running alright?

Thanks

Zurlox

UPDATE

was mucking around with the car on Friday arvo, and found that the pump isnt getting 12v from the ignition switch, so put a battery straight on it in the boot and hear it whirring away, tried starting the car, still no go, noticed while the pump was running the feedlines were still "compressible" as if there is no pressure in them at all, so this would lead me to believe that the fuel filter is clogged, or the lines running from the boot to engine bay.

i have a new bosch 044 pump and sock arriving soon, so that will eliminate the pump, although known working, and will use the guide found on the forums to direct feed power to the pump, and ill get the old pump out and sit it in a bucket of fuel next to the engine bay feeding straight in with a fuel pressure gauge to see if that fixes the issue, and determine what pressure i should be seeing in the lines. hopefully this will help to determine the cause of this miserable misfortune.

unfortunately this problem can mean a number of things :S

i have and am still having similar problems with my car. ive checked all the common things, CAS, Ignitor pack, AFMs, ECU etc....

only just now months down the track (taking the car to a different mechanic) my problem could be in the ECU loom :)

if the pump thing doesnt fix your problem dont give up!

i have fixed the problem!!

i changed all the fuel hoses to high pressure hoses, and got a new fuel filter in as well as a fuel pressure gauge.

i then modded the pump 12v feed from the topic found here http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Fu...57#entry4439057

and when i turned the ignition on the pump was only providing 10psi on the gauge, so i swapped the pump out with my original, and BAM, straight up to 45psi, she was humming like a beauty!!

when the bosch pump arrives ill swap it in, and that will cover me for awhile, hopefully never to go back to it, now that i know everything that side is fine.

:thumbsup::laugh: