SAU Community

Fuel/ignition Ecu Maps Difference Between R32 R33 R34

does anyone know if there are any fuel/ignition differences between the r32, r33 and r34 ecu's for the rb25de since the rb25de came in all 3 series of skylines?

and thus any performance increases to be had by using a different ecu to control the fuel and ignition?

Cheers

all the variants of the rb25de in the R32, R33 and R34 are physically different so i would assume that there would be differences in their maps. swapping ecu's will not work

all the variants of the rb25de in the R32, R33 and R34 are physically different so i would assume that there would be differences in their maps. swapping ecu's will not work

r32 ecu and loom is running my r34 engine.

so the pin outs for the r32, r33 and r34 ecu's are different?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldnt an R34 RB25DE be the NEO model?

From what I understand this incorporates a different head design, and infinitely variable cam timing - an R32 ECU would have no idea how to deal with that, so you'd ultimately end up with a loss of power from at least the lack of VCT?

To that end, I imagine you'd really need an R34 ECU to get the best benefit from this engine, as I imagine they'd have changed the fuel/ign maps for the different head design, and to make use of the VCT.

No idea how accurate any of that is, but it's based off what I've read and wikipedia seems to confirm some of it.

ok let me rephrase that, the swap in ecu's will not work effectively. that's not to say that they won't work.

jrm is correct, the different head design, VCT, twin feed intake on the NEO, etc. must have some sort of effect. to put it simply the software will not match the hardware - and although it may work, it might not be working efficiently or have some detrimental effect.

however that said, i've never tried it so there may be positive gains to be had. i would say that it'd be much cheaper to re-chip with dr. drift or the likes.

ECU plugs/pins are way different from R32/33 to R34 I can imagine that the maps they contain would allow them all to run, to what degree of efficiency is another story. Basically stick with the right ECU for the right engine, much better than messing around with it all.

Thanks for your reply guys, i really appreciate all the help. NZ skylines forum has pretty much died last time i checked...

the engine swap was done by previous owner, they kept the r32 ecu and loom because it was easier.

could a r32 rb20de remapped ecu control the vct?

the vct is not engaged at the moment because i have no idea what voltage it runs at and what rpm it switches on and off and if the voltage varies etc?

is there any ecu which will plug in which has vct as well? (i can run the relevant pinout to the vct control using a separate wire from the ecu to the engine bay vct control).

the prev owner gave me a laurel ecu or something and said that the ecu would plug in and i could run a wire to the vct line. i dont know how accurate this is though so wanted to check.

failing that a rpm switch and a remap for the r32 rb25de ecu looks like the way to go... a tune at the same time would probably be best too!!

hoping that the r32 ecu will be running the r34 engine safely atleast if not most efficiently.