SAU Community

Hi Folks,

i just got into the Skyline scene just recently, now ive got a hard-on for R32 (GTS4)

do you rate the this car?

any major faults?

easy to drive? (smoov or ruff ride)

ease to mod, upgrades? power?

Price range?

and yes i am a newbie and will use the search button from now on :(

Hi Folks,

i just got into the Skyline scene just recently, now ive got a hard-on for R32 (GTS4)

any major faults?

Price range?

i have one and i love it..easy to mod..nice ride..great car,

some people wont like the gts-4 as it is not rwd but each to there own

Used to own a GTS4... That is if you are referring to the AWD 2 door version. Good car with lots of traction. However at 1490kg thats just too heavy for an RB20DET motor to lug around. Normal stop start driving they are really sluggish below 3500 rpm. If I had my time again I would have gotten the lighter GTST instead

Used to own a GTS4... That is if you are referring to the AWD 2 door version. Good car with lots of traction. However at 1490kg thats just too heavy for an RB20DET motor to lug around. Normal stop start driving they are really sluggish below 3500 rpm. If I had my time again I would have gotten the lighter GTST instead

but surely doin the normal mods (zorst,filter, boost) helps with better response?

Hi Folks,

any major faults?

Price range?

how much are you looking forward to spending? a limit?

because i recal a mate had a Rb20DET with Basic mods.... & he used to get beaten by another mates Toyota Celieca VVT-i

why not a R34 GT-R? those things are really quick for something 20 years old.

how much are you looking forward to spending? a limit?

because i recal a mate had a Rb20DET with Basic mods.... & he used to get beaten by another mates Toyota Celieca VVT-i

why not a R34 GT-R? those things are really quick for something 20 years old.

yea you pay for it....

personally i cant afford a R34 GTR , so i got myself a 32 GTST

do you rate the this car? 7/10

any major faults? No

easy to drive? (smoov or ruff ride) Smooth very good handling

ease to mod, upgrades? power? Not hard to mod

Price range? 6-15k depends

yea you pay for it....

personally i cant afford a R34 GTR , so i got myself a 32 GTST

do you rate the this car? 7/10

any major faults? No

easy to drive? (smoov or ruff ride) Smooth very good handling

ease to mod, upgrades? power? Not hard to mod

Price range? 6-15k depends

ehh maybe i shouldnt have sold my rex.....lol

im not really a fan of r34's, the shape and look of the R32 is dead sexy

ye working to a budget roughly bout $20k (with mods) thanks to my mortgage :)

but surely doin the normal mods (zorst,filter, boost) helps with better response?

I had Apexi Pod, 3.5 " exhaust, FMIC ,HKS 2510 Boosted to 15 psi..These mods unfortunately will not aid in response. Only mid range and top end power. Like it or not RB20DET will never make low end muscle...That being said it was great in cornering and top end power...But it aint gonna run quick times down a drag strip without major clutch abuse

dang!

wow didnt think that they were inferior.......

what r32 owners do? crack it open and do the internals....or engine swaps (rb26)

Aparently the budget engine swap that works really well is an RB25DET from a Stagea. This being due to the stagea RB25DET coming with AWD so the whole lot is a simple bolt in affair. That extra 500cc makes the world of difference

Aparently the budget engine swap that works really well is an RB25DET from a Stagea. This being due to the stagea RB25DET coming with AWD so the whole lot is a simple bolt in affair. That extra 500cc makes the world of difference

hmm.... thinkin....

how much $$$ roughly for a motor, would a stock with bolton mods be suffice?

i dont plan to go to the strip every so often but then again i dont to have my ass handed to me either

is there no common ground? so basically all out on the RB20 or engine swap

BTW thanx for the info, this is really helping me....

hmm.... thinkin....

how much $$$ roughly for a motor, would a stock with bolton mods be suffice?

i dont plan to go to the strip every so often but then again i dont to have my ass handed to me either

is there no common ground? so basically all out on the RB20 or engine swap

BTW thanx for the info, this is really helping me....

Shop around for the motor...prices will vary with condition. I dont exactly see a huge demand for RB25's from stageas with the AWD sump. Look RB20 is a good motor, But not in a 1490kg car...RB25DET far better !!!

Are you specifically looking at the GTS4 for the AWD?? If not, then i would suggest go GTS-T.

If so, you have the option for the RB25 or RB26 GTR motor. If you're interested in the GTR engine swap, watch High Octane dvd's 3 & 4, the presenter does this swap to an R32 GTS4 with some impressive results. He doesnt so much go into specifics of price, & hes a kiwi so all the performance shops he recommends & uses are in NZ where the dvds are filmed for the most part. However, for the cost of the car plus the conversion & engineering hassles, its much easier to get a R32 GTR straight out of the box & have all the features & benefits of the better model. This is the path i would choose, given the option.

As for RB20 mods, looking at my own car & a few mates R32's, boost is a good way to go for improving them. You do the fuel pump, ecu & injectors in preparation, then screw boost into it. As they generally rev slightly higher than the RB25's, the top end power gains feel more noticable. Plus theyre a bloody strong engine.

If you're after the response also, go the GTR path. The bigger 2.6 to start with will give you much better response down low, plus they rev harder & have an extra turbo, stronger gearbox, electronically switchable AWD->RWD, better looking factory bodykit, etc etc....

Are you specifically looking at the GTS4 for the AWD?? If not, then i would suggest go GTS-T.

If so, you have the option for the RB25 or RB26 GTR motor. If you're interested in the GTR engine swap, watch High Octane dvd's 3 & 4, the presenter does this swap to an R32 GTS4 with some impressive results. He doesnt so much go into specifics of price, & hes a kiwi so all the performance shops he recommends & uses are in NZ where the dvds are filmed for the most part. However, for the cost of the car plus the conversion & engineering hassles, its much easier to get a R32 GTR straight out of the box & have all the features & benefits of the better model. This is the path i would choose, given the option.

As for RB20 mods, looking at my own car & a few mates R32's, boost is a good way to go for improving them. You do the fuel pump, ecu & injectors in preparation, then screw boost into it. As they generally rev slightly higher than the RB25's, the top end power gains feel more noticable. Plus theyre a bloody strong engine.

If you're after the response also, go the GTR path. The bigger 2.6 to start with will give you much better response down low, plus they rev harder & have an extra turbo, stronger gearbox, electronically switchable AWD->RWD, better looking factory bodykit, etc etc....

u mean "boost" the blue gts4, Ketzal sterling put a twin turbo motor in it though.......

GTR's are gorgeous, are they a practical every day car?

Edited by RocknRolla

Homework for the most part is usually the fun bit. You get to check out what other people have experimented with.

Best piece of advice i think most people would stick with....if you want something unique, then build it yourself. If you want something to match the specs thats reliable, get that model from the factory.

ie if you want a unique car, get the gts4 & either work the rb20 or do a conversion. If you want reliability straight up with little hassles, bite the bullet & buy a gtr.

This is the lesson ive just learnt, & is why im not so focused on doing my gts-t up atm, id rather save so i can trade up to a gtr.

*That is the car i was talking about. A major consideration, the gearbox that he blew up. If you put an RB25 or RB26 onto a RB20 gearbox with any kinda power behind it, that fate is only a matter of time for any RB20 gearbox. Especially the GTS4 unit. It was a gtr motor he put in, RB26 with twin hi-flow turbos & 18psi i believe.

Hope this has been of some use to you. Good luck with it all.

Edited by cmoney

Yeah fair call. Simple answer is....get a GTR. In the long run im sure you will thank yourself.

Make sure you post some pics when you get whatever you decide upon.