SAU Community

Are There Any Decent Workshops In Sydney?

Kujotk

Just got back from a simple task of getting my oil chaged in my r33 gtst. Long story short i couldn't be botherd doing it myself seing as i'd have to go out and buy a stronger jack, car stands, (cannot drive my car up car ramps), fidle around with oil filter, dispose of oil, don't have a level ground anywhere to jack the car up anyway.... so i decided to get a mechanic to do it thinking they could do it faster and at a decent price.

I was quoted $120 by a mob at Seven Hills which i will not reveal the name on the forum. Oil is changed and car is ready to go in 35minutes. I asked them about a noise from the diff or gearbox, they took it for a 2 minute drive and confirmed what i already knew "your gear box is alittle noisey, nothing to worry about". Fair enough already knew that just wanted confirmation. They unbolted the oil bolt in the diff to check the oil (another 30second job since this was done when the oil was still dripping out of the car) and oil was fine. Then when they changed the oil filter the sandwich plate (that they previously installed on the car came off, still should have been another 2 minute job and it was their mistake seing as they originally put it on and no one has touched it untill the same mechanic took it off) anyway i'm assuming that these extra 4 minutes of total work would already have been included in their already overpriced quote... boy was I wrong!!!

$186ish for their stuffing around and their mistake. I'm wanting to get my car up to 300rwkw in the next 12months and ive been searching for a shop for 12 months already. so to get my car up to 300rwkw properly would cost about $10g or their abouts???? Forget using these guys they'd f#*k around with it for months, take their time and end up costing double that price if my previous experience with them is repeated on a larger scale. Either way its money they wont get from me, Especially seing as the performance industry has hit a brick wall with respect to the current financial climate.

Still cant get over they asked for $186 for a bloody simple oil change. In the end their loss of being able to build my car. Also its not just me that has a bad experience with them, i over heard a phone call from someone who had their car in the shop and they were complaining about how much extra it cost them to build the car even though they had a quote of the work done.... and the extra cost ontop of their quote from what i heard was $15g extra than the quote.

I kept my cool while i was their and just paid it to get my car back coz i had things to do this arvo, but the more i thought about it the angrier i grew and i can't understand how places like this stay in bussiness and legitamate bussiness go broke.

I haven't said any names, nor have i made any lies, so I don't believe this should be taken of the forum. Its a warning to get a written and a signed quote before any work is done on your car, no mater how small it is.

and i still need to find a decent workshop that is genuwine, don't say hills motor sport because i have been their no less than 5 times and they guys just don't want to know me, ive approached them from changing the clutch, to servicing, to installing exhaust, front mount and a install and tune of a powerfc. Even though my dad owns a warehouse in the same complex...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just Jap - Bath Rd Kirrawee

i should have gone just jap, only thing that put me off is last october when i asked them to do some things they said they don't have time untill next year some time... still should have given them a go, i like just jap

This post brought to you by SAU policies:

Well, My experience is that several people told me XXXXXXXX aren't interested unless you're

a walking check book and are able to keep selling you upgrades without really finding the root

of the problem, YYYYYYY drilled my wiring loom, denied it, then owned up after being pushed,

and also told me weird stuff that doesn't really check out, ZZZZZZZ don't have a four wheel

dyno, and so charge you their time to remove and re-attach your drive-shaft *and* I had to

help them interpret an HKS manual..

So, so far, my conclusion is they are all pretty awful and we as customers are fscking pansies

& pushovers because who in the end can we complain to? we can't complain online and we

can't whine to the consumer protection authorities over non-engineered probably street-illegal

upgrades.

In the end it is probably like finding a drug dealer.. risky, expensive, and they are flighty

and prone to withhold the best stuff from anyone who they believe isn't sufficiently grateful.

This post brought to you by SAU policies:

Well, My experience is that several people told me XXXXXXXX aren't interested unless you're

a walking check book and are able to keep selling you upgrades without really finding the root

of the problem, YYYYYYY drilled my wiring loom, denied it, then owned up after being pushed,

and also told me weird stuff that doesn't really check out, ZZZZZZZ don't have a four wheel

dyno, and so charge you their time to remove and re-attach your drive-shaft *and* I had to

help them interpret an HKS manual..

So, so far, my conclusion is they are all pretty awful and we as customers are fscking pansies

& pushovers because who in the end can we complain to? we can't complain online and we

can't whine to the consumer protection authorities over non-engineered probably street-illegal

upgrades.

In the end it is probably like finding a drug dealer.. risky, expensive, and they are flighty

and prone to withhold the best stuff from anyone who they believe isn't sufficiently grateful.

think you hit the nail on the head

dude go to croydon, it took them 3 days to fit up my power fc d-jetro, wire in my new boost controller, do a oil change and a full tune, to me, thats pretty damn good, they didnt charge me over the moon and wer very very helpful with every thing i asked about and also gave me some good advice on where the car can improve but never ever pushed the sale of extra parts

if your going to whinge and bitch about how long a workshop takes to do the work then do it all yourself and then u will truely realise how long things take to do

"Dead Kennedys Trust Your Mechanic lyrics"

Trust your mechanic to mend your car

Bring it in to his garage

He tightens and loosens a few spare parts

One thing's fixed, another falls apart

And the rich eat you

Trust your mechanic

To make you well

You're seeing an awful lot of him now

The quicker he makes your life fall apart

The more money you put in his pockets

Trust your mechanic

To plug your holes

Trust him to make more

Somewhere else

Trust your mechanic

He'll always come through

And rip you off

dude go to croydon, it took them 3 days to fit up my power fc d-jetro, wire in my new boost controller, do a oil change and a full tune, to me, thats pretty damn good, they didnt charge me over the moon and wer very very helpful with every thing i asked about and also gave me some good advice on where the car can improve but never ever pushed the sale of extra parts

if your going to whinge and bitch about how long a workshop takes to do the work then do it all yourself and then u will truely realise how long things take to do

yeah CAS is a really good workshop

and apparently one of the BEST workshops in sydney.....

especially the owner JIM...

alot of the places CONTRACT the Dyno tuning out to him..

but they are a bit pricey though in comparison

I just got my race car tuned at a place in seven hills and they did an excellent job. even with they tidy up jobs and fixes it was ready in 2 days and it is making a good 10% more power at the same boost.

Yes the bill did reflect all of the hours they worked on it but I don't think thats unfair.

I guess the thing to remember is to always get approval for the work before they do it. sounds like this went 50% over the quote you got - they should have warned you.

One question - did the 120 quote include oil and filter? If so that is pretty reasonable most shops are around 110/hr + say 50 for filter and oil is about right?

BTW while the z was under warranty we used to get the nissan dealer to service it.....you don't want to know what they charge for an oil change with crappy mineral oil lol

just an update, puddle of oil on my driveway when i left home tonight.... definately not going back, either its left over oil from when it dripped from the sump plug (should have been cleaned like my other mechanic used to do, just sprayed it with air hose and a rag), or they didn't tighten the plug properly, most probably they didnt bother wipeing the excess. Pure lazy work at more than premium price... Should have gone to a lebbo back yarder and had the same job done except he'll charge me cheap for a shotty attempt.

why oh why did my other mechanic have to close down, $90 with elf and he'd even change my wiper blades and clean the leftover oil... bloody economy crashing and he cant import at a profit anymore...

The most reliable mechanic i've found would be Insight Motorsports, but really any mechanic can do a half arsed job if they are not in the mood.

Another plug for scott at insight...top fella

CRD too.

Adam at JEM

and Yavus at Unigroup.

wouldn't take it to anywhere that has a hill in its name or address.

So far I've had good experiences bringing my car to Frank and Paul at A&B Motorsports Brookvale as well as Dennis at Grim Performance.

:P

Have to give a rep to Dennis as well, every bit of work he's done for me has been perfect...

He's pretty expensive but he's one of the best I've ever dealt with...