SAU Community

Air Con

s1.533

hey guys,

just got my air con regas. anyways when putting it on 3rd speed it seem colder than the 4th speed. the 4th speed would blow stronger but not as cold. the guy told me there;s a very little leak in the system so he put in some dye to see where its gonna leak, he said ill last for this summer at least. 40 in melb today all i can feel is its like a fan blower. but before it get really hot the air con seem cold not so bad.

hope that make sense

your air con seems cooler on 3 because the air is moving over the coil slower giving it more time to cool, on 4 it is moving to fast to cool properly... <------ indicating a leak...

He should not have told you that their is a small leak on it and he's gassed it up to get you through summer (that is illegal he can be fine majorly for that...)

i would be taking it back and asking him to do the job properly...

Edited by axe s

so u would tell a customer that you have broken the law by putting refrigerant into a system with a know leak, so he can go and tell everyone...

I suggest you look up the conditions of your refrigerant handling license...

wouldt have a clue on $ depends where the leak is... most likely a hose so it shouldn't be to much... but then you have the price of the refrigerant and labor on top...

just take it back to him and tell him to finish the job... he should be able to find the leak if he put dye in...

Guest 40th-edition

i do ac regassing everyday, champ is right about the air traveling slower over your evaporator so there for colder. i only test the temp on low speed so you get the coldest reading.

i see most leaks from orings, the gas is the expensive part. if he put dye in there he should have found leak before he let you take it.

let us know how you go

yeah there are only a few common places where they leak. orings are the go. He should of pressure tested with dye nitrogen at 1.5 times operating pressure. then vac the system and should get under 500 micron and cant rise 100 micron in the hour. if it does you have a leak or moisture in the system. then charge it with R134a.

hope this helps

If you can get him to put a gas in there called -30 or even ER12. Alot of place don;t like as on later model car (2000 and on) have a seconday low pressure cut out switch in the compressor and it can play up. The other thing alot of A/C places don't like about it is the fact it has A % of butane (BBQ gas) in it and that scares alot of people off. The % is VERY VERY low and would never cause any issue. In fact butane is one of the best refrigerants around The beautiful thing about -30 or ER12 is they run ALOT lower head pressures, so the stress on your A/C is alot less which in turn lower the chance of leaks. Also not as much power to drive the system. I have it in my R32 GTR and it works a treat. When I was running 134A in there the A/C was ok but on hot days it just wouldn't keep up. Put -30 in and cool as. Just to prove how much more efficient it is a R32 GTR takes approx 750 grams of 134A and of -30 it took 275 grams. Head pressure are down by approx 40%.

Hope that is of some help.

thanks for the help guys

ill bring my car back in tomorrow morning.

anything i should say to him? and how much am i looking at? dont wanna get rip

thanks

ummm I'm not sure what I got on my air con

He was using a gas bottle that look like the one you use for BBQ its on a trolley and it a red and a blue house with a gauge on it

Still haven't brang in the car to him yet.

He was nice for giving me a set of 4 r33 kyb strut with no top LOL

Edited by s1.533

Yeah R12 got phased out in about 2000. But there is a gas out there called ER12. Its a blend gas made by origin. Really good stuff. If you are doing alot of A/C it would pay to look into it. Both ER12 and -30 or minus 30.

R12 is not used anymore.... it got phased out years ago due to it been a high ozone depletion refrigerant.

never heard anything about -30...