SAU Community

List Of Mods & What They Do.

Hi, as a newbie in cars..

I know may be a while but would be great if someone could write what the mod is, and what the mod does..

for example

"Turbo Timer - Cools Engine Down For A Min When Car is switched Off"

I think it'll be great for other noobies aswell, and since i dont know much about cars, i dont know what i can mod with my gts-t and what is worth getting

Thanks

Bigger turbo - allows you to pump more boost into the engine (be careful not to go too big due to lag)

Bigger injectors - pumps more fuel into the engine to compensate for higher boost

Intercooler - cools the intake charge, allowing denser air for a cleaner explosion inside the cylinders

Exhaust - frees up exhaust gases behind the turbo & runs more efficiently

ECU - allows you to custom tune fuel & ignition maps (depending on which ecu obviously) along with many other features

AFMs - larger air flow meters will not limit power when used in high boost applications (common gtr swap uses Z32 AFM's)

Dual stage boost - low & high setting, so can cruise on low & flick to high for a drag meeting etc....

Cam gears - allows you to retune the cams for more power & smoother torque band

Cams - changing the cams will move the power band of the engine, high lift long duration cams are suited to racing for mid range & top end, while lower lift & shorter duration are suited to cruising around town with torque down low

BOV - blow off valve is allows the pressurised air in the intake system to escape when you suddenly snap the throttle closed for changing gears etc....

Fuel pump - higher capacity fuel pump protects your engine when running higher than normal boost, uses more fuel too depending on tune obviously

Wastegate - bypasses exhaust gasses on the exhaust side of the turbo when it is spinning too fast

To put this into perspective, on my own gts-t i have intercooler, exhaust, dual stage boost (only set to 11psi & 14psi), R33 AFM for convenience, & a 500hp fuel pump because the stocker shit itself. I still have standard turbo, injectors, BOV, ecu, cams & gears. This combo has produced 150kw at the wheels on 14psi, which is fine for daily use like i use it for. Even on low boost, its still around 135kw at the wheels or similar. I still get 450km to a tank also.

Edited by cmoney