SAU Community

Gtst R33 Turbo Upgrade

JoshRasi

Hey Fellow SAU Members.. This is my first Post. I have only been a skyline owner for about 3-4 months now.

When I first got my GTST R33 sedan I thought it was damn fast, but now that I'm used to it I want more power :) .

I'll just let you know what has been done to my car so far and then if anyone has any ideas or even items for sale I would be happy to hear about them.

Front Mount

Dump Pipe with 3inch exhaust

Cams upgrade (tomei stage 1 poncams)

Apexi SAFC2

Manual boost controller

K&N Pod Filter

Excedy Heavy Duty Clutch

From this I am getting 216rwkw.

I am looking at the following upgrades and peoples' thoughts on what type and so on.

Apexi Power FC

Fuel Pump & Regulator

Injectors

Turbo (don't want too big coz I don't want to wait for 5000rpm for boost to kick in :P )

Im wanting to get maybe 250-260rwkw but what ever is safe without doing the internals, just don't have the money to go all out.

I apologise if there are already threads on this topic, I haven't been on this site for long... I'm just putting this out there for any feedback on my ideas - any would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh

hey josh. have u thought about a gt3037? it is perfect for your needs, look into one. they are relatively cheap

a mate has one on his r33 and it sounds nuts. and has little lag, almost stock. it also bolts onto the stock exhaust manifold.

give him a pm. = Darkness Ryda1

he could give u some good advice and tips about it.

Edited by r33cruiser

Yeah your on the right page...

do your ecu (pfc is a good choice)

injectors around the 550cc mark will be suitable and allow a little head room in case 250rwkw is not enough in the future

do a fuel pump and a reg, no worries there

as for turbo there are anumber of choices but the top two that come to mind are the 3037 or the GT30 with either the .62 or .82 rear housing

If you go the GT30 id suggest going a .82 rear housing as then you have all the parts to make 300rwkw no worries (internals wont like it too long)...

So with cams you will make 15-16 pounds easily by 3700-3800rpm... Thats about all you will need for 260rwkw...

If you go the .63 rear housing it may only save you 200rpm, its not that bigger difference honestly...

However the larger rear housing will allow for more cublic feet of air at higher rpm, so if you build your motor later on once again no need to spend more money...

Oh dont forget to add a good quality electronic boost controler to your list of bits... (ie. Blitz SBC ID-III or HKS EBC etc)

Edit: Also you need to decide early if your going highmount with the turbo or if you would rather stick to a low mount with minimal modification...

As if you choose high mount there are a couple extra bits you will need... (ie. Manifold, custom water and oil lines, external wastegate depeding on turbo choice, new exhaust dump etc)

The suggestion of a highflowed VG30 is also valid if you wish to minimize hassle/$$$ however will not allow for much more than your current requirement...

As if your not happy with 216rwkw now, im sure within 6 months 260rwkw wont float your boat either and youll be reaching for 300rwkw in no time hence my suggestion of going to a GT30...

Im using a HKS 2835 turbo with 550 injectors and fuel upgrade like your thinking of, Im making 350HP at 17 psi and it comes on around 3200 rpm, it is a good turbo and would suit your needs.

Thanks everyone who replied...

You have given me a bit to think about and to look into. Ill post anything more I do to my car and what has worked for me.

Thanks again and anymore input would be great.

Josh

The usual Garret choices are:

GT3076 (aka GT30R, diff trim only to 3037) with a 0.82 rear good for up to 290 to 300rwkw) - about 15% more power potential than 3071. 76mm compressor, 60mm exhaust wheel. Best to get this in 0.82 rear to take advantage of the larger compressor flow. If you want more responsive get the turbo below - no such thing as best of both worlds, physics doesn't work that way. Full boost around 3600 to 3800rpm as stated above.

GT3071 (similar to HKS 2835 for RB), make sure you get the full T3 housed 60mm exhaust wheel, and recommended a 0.63 rear housing. Same turbine wheel as above turbo with smaller housing and 56 trim 71.1mm compressor. The smaller rear housing and less rotational mass on the compressor means this turbo comes on about 400rpm earlier and makes up to approx 250rwkw. Full boost approx 3300rpm.

Once you get used to either turbo they'll be responsive enough for you. If you prefer to short shift and not rev out all the time, the 3071 might be the go. If you want head room 3076 is the go. After running a 3071, swapping to a 3076 wouldn't be much work and vice-versa.

Edited by simpletool