SAU Community

Series 2 Rotor Clarification

AndyD

Basicly my brakes suck so i wanna upgrade after reading the 20+ pages on brakes my head is f$%ked my car is a series 2 4wd rs4.

1> Is there a str8 bolt on dba rotor for my car (with or without modifications)

2> Can i bolt on R33 rotors and calipers (with or without modification)

3> Do i need or should i use braided lines if so is there a direct replacement that is the same ie:r33/r34

4> How much fluid does it take to fill the system from empty

Most of the info in the brake thread is for s1 cars but not much for s2 if maybe the admins could seperate the 2 sections so people with s2 cars dont have to trawl thru 3000 posts to find info that would be fantastic :huh:

Mate, here are some comments below, hope its useful. I have done the brake swap to R33GTST calipers and disks all around.

Basicly my brakes suck so i wanna upgrade after reading the 20+ pages on brakes my head is f$%ked my car is a series 2 4wd rs4.

1> Is there a str8 bolt on dba rotor for my car (with or without modifications) Not sure about for the standard Rotors but R33 rotors bolt straight on (You would need to swap calipers at the same time though)

2> Can i bolt on R33 rotors and calipers (with or without modification)Yes rears fit straight on, fronts you need to get the bolt ,odified where it bolts to the strut. (Check the brakes thread it is well covered in there)

3> Do i need or should i use braided lines if so is there a direct replacement that is the same ie:r33/r34. You can use standard lines with no problems. I have heard that R32 GTR lines fit but I can't 100% certify this. Also Maltech apparently make a set which are ADR approved

4> How much fluid does it take to fill the system from empty. A bottle maybe a bit more. Brake fluid isn't overly expensive anyways.

Most of the info in the brake thread is for s1 cars but not much for s2 if maybe the admins could seperate the 2 sections so people with s2 cars dont have to trawl thru 3000 posts to find info that would be fantastic :huh:

1> Is there a str8 bolt on dba rotor for my car (with or without modifications)

2> Can i bolt on R33 rotors and calipers (with or without modification)

3> Do i need or should i use braided lines if so is there a direct replacement that is the same ie:r33/r34

4> How much fluid does it take to fill the system from empty

Most of the info in the brake thread is for s1 cars but not much for s2 if maybe the admins could seperate the 2 sections so people with s2 cars dont have to trawl thru 3000 posts to find info that would be fantastic :P

AndyD Hope to find some number`s this week & hope that i can find SLOTTED ROTOR`S as well :P ,might try to get better price on mintex pad`s to will see what i can get out of them ,still looking for rear hand brake shoe to but NOBODY SEEM`S to help so i will keep looking this side & see what we get ,cheer`s chuckie

There is a guy on ebay who is in japan who is selling full sets front and rear for series 2 stags ive emailed him to see if he can get slotted rotors from japan if he can and the price is right a group buy might be in order. It seems pads are easy to access now tho but i think i may need new rotors they are badly scored i wish dba would make an equivalent it would make life so much easier. Thanx for your help chuckie it is appreciated it seems the series2 owners arent very well looked after compared to the parts available to series1 owners

Ok done a bit more digging and found these guys

http://www.japaneseimportspares.com.au/par...tegoriesbrakes/

They are agents for dixcel rotors they have series 2 fronts in stock non slotted for $295pr and he told me they can get slotted by order for around $400pr

Part #'s are

Front #321 2013

Rear #325 2016

Ive included the part #pdf for anyone who is interested

domesticcar_r.pdf

There is a guy on ebay who is in japan who is selling full sets front and rear for series 2 stags ive emailed him to see if he can get slotted rotors from japan if he can and the price is right a group buy might be in order. It seems pads are easy to access now tho but i think i may need new rotors they are badly scored i wish dba would make an equivalent it would make life so much easier. Thanx for your help chuckie it is appreciated it seems the series2 owners arent very well looked after compared to the parts available to series1 owners

Hi Andy yes mate & lot`s don`t care,what is happening here is ELLE has new nissan rotor`s & iam going to see if BRAKEBOND`S AUSTRALIA can mach them he said that the,should find something as he found PAD`S & that was a Big + also rear rotor`s to so hope to find all brake part`s & see what happen`s from there ,i will post up or pm few how need some help i will be chasing most brake bit`s soon need to sort few thing`s out ,so talk soon cheer`s chuckie.

After reading the dixcel catalogue it seems the s2 stag has common rotors with the cima,laurel,gloria and a few other part #are the same so it gives bigger scope to look for parts

Not sure who we could contact on this forum (or elsewhere) who is in the trade about possibly speaking with RDA/DBA (or any other local manufacturer) on making S2 Stagea front and rear standard and slotted rotors for all of us???

OR trying to match up any models already made and available here, correct offset at least, with minor machining on OD maybe.

Last time i checked the Front Nissan rotors where about ($260/each= $520 pair for standard non slotted ones).

Looks like Andy has found cheaper FRONTS Dixcel aftermarket from Japanese Import Spares - non slotted for $295pr, slotted $400 pair. http://www.japaneseimportspares.com.au/par...tegoriesbrakes/

This is probably the cheapest option for now.

Ideas anyone??

(My front rotors are wearing quite thin and probably can't take another machine job).

I have taken a set of ROTOR`S in & hope to have some new`s next week,he said that he has 4 looking for them so just wait till next week ,i also have spoken with him about getting mintex pad`s at better price, he said he will look at what it cost`s him so may be few more $$ off will be sweet ,+ he said any skline stuff he can match no worries pad`s Rotor`s Clutches to all twin plate the lot so will let you know as soon as i do ,cheer`s chuckie,

• 7 months later...

300 dia. I believe.

We (Chuckie has some on his car and I have some on order) found some RDA rotors and EBC pads that fit on the front without any modifications. The info should be in the Stagea Brakes thread.

We (Chuckie has some on his car and I have some on order) found some RDA rotors and EBC pads that fit on the front without any modifications. The info should be in the Stagea Brakes thread.

I agree with Andy, there is too much stuff to filter thru for the series 2.

I'm just going to go slotted rotors machined down to fit S2 and QFM pads.

Is there any benefit fitting R33 calipers with R33 slotted rotors? How does this affect the ABS system?

:)

Sorry I think 300 is for the rears, stock fronts are 290mm I believe.

yeah the fronts are 290 with a 54mm offset and about 28mm thick (best i can tell from my rotor). i haven't had the rears off yet.

I agree with Andy, there is too much stuff to filter thru for the series 2.

I'm just going to go slotted rotors machined down to fit S2 and QFM pads.

Is there any benefit fitting R33 calipers with R33 slotted rotors? How does this affect the ABS system?

:)

it wont affect the abs system. the benefit is debatable but the basics are, R33 calipers are 4 piston fronts 2 piston rear vs Stagea 2 piston fronts and single piston rear. you also get bigger front rotors with a R33 caliper upgrade, up to 297mm from 290mm diameter and a couple mm thicker. but they aren't a direct fit as the R33 caliper bolts are a different size to the stagea ones, a retap or bush is needed. theres a few write-ups in the brake thred about R33 ones onto a S2 (if you can find them lol).

Edited by QWK32

it wont affect the abs system. the benefit is debatable but the basics are, R33 calipers are 4 piston fronts 2 piston rear vs Stagea 2 piston fronts and single piston rear. you also get bigger front rotors with a R33 caliper upgrade, up to 297mm from 290mm diameter and a couple mm thicker. but they aren't a direct fit as the R33 caliper bolts are a different size to the stagea ones, a retap or bush is needed. theres a few write-ups in the brake thred about R33 ones onto a S2 (if you can find them lol).

My point exactly :D

Correct me if i'm wrong. But I'm sure R34 brakes are a direct bolt on. At least for a Series 2 RS FOUR S (manual) the are.

Anyone care to confirm.

correct, R34 direct bolt on. R33 bolt up with minor modification.

• 3 months later...

Your head might hurt after this.

RDA954S are only 296mm in Dia, I'm pretty sure late model S2 have a bigger Rotor

What end are you talking about? Not sure about rears but fronts on S2 RS4 are definately 290mm (I have measured mine, I actually measured 289 but anyway, 290 sounds good).

Maybe if its a Autech 260 or something.

Pretty sure rear rotors are same as a skyline or something.

I'd be careful about saying the fronts are the same as a cima,laurel,gloria. Maybe a particular model of them. I have a gloria (think HY33) front setup on my r31 it was the same as R32/Z32 rotors.

Other info:

Front pads: GSL 009 (From GSL Rallysport) in two variates: HPX (Bendix Equavelent) or A1RM (for motor sports) www.gslrallysport.com

Rear pads: Bendix DB1399

I bought both sets of pads from GSL Rallysport and got free post.

Some poeple have said the rears are same as R31, I have both (r31 and DB1388) in front of me they are different but i haven't fitted the DB1399's yet. Will confirm in the next couple of weeks.