SAU Community

What Your Girlfriend Hates About Your Skyline Thread

im trying to get my gf into cars. does anyone have any other suggestions to get her to like them? its not that she hates them she just doesnt know anything about them, so im trying to teach her but she doesnt look as interested as me. but she does like going on drives. i only got the one little complaint and that was about the suspension as well. i just told her there is nothing i can do about it its already set at the softest setting lol.

well my mrs loved my r33 gtr and got to drive it to work every day till i started doing it up

now she hates every thing about it

from its to loud to bumpy only got one seat and she has to sit on the floor

no stero smells like fuel fuel pumps to loud i spend way to much money on it she also hates the triple plate clutch and the dog box

the only positive for her now is when im working on the car im out of her hair

im trying to get my gf into cars. does anyone have any other suggestions to get her to like them? its not that she hates them she just doesnt know anything about them, so im trying to teach her but she doesnt look as interested as me. but she does like going on drives. i only got the one little complaint and that was about the suspension as well. i just told her there is nothing i can do about it its already set at the softest setting lol.

Can you take her to SAU things that aren't ALL about cars... like dinners/BBQ's and stuff... maybe once she makes some friends and feels more part of it she might start to be more interested? You could also get her to help out a bit when you're working on the car, just little things... explain stuff but dont make her feel stupid.. :)

from its to loud to bumpy only got one seat and she has to sit on the floor

:P yeah that would be fairly off-putting

Can you take her to SAU things that aren't ALL about cars... like dinners/BBQ's and stuff... maybe once she makes some friends and feels more part of it she might start to be more interested? You could also get her to help out a bit when you're working on the car, just little things... explain stuff but dont make her feel stupid.. :)

brilliant idea, ill take her to the car wash and she can wash it while i watch lol jk ;) . but seriously they are good ideas ill work on it, thanks.

i love my boyfriend's skyline, what i dont love is that he has all these things he wants to do it (some are even half started) but he never gets around to doing them!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

i had a NA r33 once b4 i met my gf she loved it always called it the 'nice' car.2 years later traded that for a gts t 33 with out telling her, now she hates the thing hahaha. took her roughly 6months to get over herself :P

Shell hit the nail on the head with her suggestions. For most girls cars are just an A-B thing that can be pretty and fast or ugly and slow - gross over-generalisation, but you can't really argue with it beyond changing the words most girls use to describe them. It is a minority of girls who want anything to do with the car enthusiast scene let alone learn about the ins and outs of an engine. If your girlfriend is genuinely interested or she wants to impress you, she will try to learn a thing or two by asking you questions or doing her own research. The fact that your girl doesn't do this says to me she's the former and your efforts to get her interested in cars will be wasted. As Shell said, you need to give her the side of the car scene that will appeal to her...social events such as dinners/barbeques; allow her to bring a friend to cruises so she has something to do while you're off talking camshafts with the car buddies; the ability to leave whenever she gets bored that way a cruise doesn't feel like a jail sentence and she can enjoy it knowing she has that freedom. Do things to her car like waxing or minor modifications that she can enjoy...that way it's not just about you and your car. Most important thing to remember...don't ever expect her to be on the same level as you when it comes to enjoying and understanding cars...it'll destroy your relationship!

And remember, if you get a technical question about something in your car...try and use analogies involving irons or washing machines.

That last one was a joke feminazis. In all seriousness, if you do get a technical question, stay on the shallow surface with your answers. Don't talk to her like she's a physics student (unless she is) - relate it to something she's already familiar with. And don't let your answer go for more than 30 seconds!

Shell hit the nail on the head with her suggestions. For most girls cars are just an A-B thing that can be pretty and fast or ugly and slow - gross over-generalisation, but you can't really argue with it beyond changing the words most girls use to describe them. It is a minority of girls who want anything to do with the car enthusiast scene let alone learn about the ins and outs of an engine. If your girlfriend is genuinely interested or she wants to impress you, she will try to learn a thing or two by asking you questions or doing her own research. The fact that your girl doesn't do this says to me she's the former and your efforts to get her interested in cars will be wasted. As Shell said, you need to give her the side of the car scene that will appeal to her...social events such as dinners/barbeques; allow her to bring a friend to cruises so she has something to do while you're off talking camshafts with the car buddies; the ability to leave whenever she gets bored that way a cruise doesn't feel like a jail sentence and she can enjoy it knowing she has that freedom. Do things to her car like waxing or minor modifications that she can enjoy...that way it's not just about you and your car. Most important thing to remember...don't ever expect her to be on the same level as you when it comes to enjoying and understanding cars...it'll destroy your relationship!

And remember, if you get a technical question about something in your car...try and use analogies involving irons or washing machines.

That last one was a joke feminazis. In all seriousness, if you do get a technical question, stay on the shallow surface with your answers. Don't talk to her like she's a physics student (unless she is) - relate it to something she's already familiar with. And don't let your answer go for more than 30 seconds!

lol love the last comment. maybe ill talk to her about what women are into and talk about what new irons and washing machines are available lol. id probably get hit if she was reading this.

anyway, she started going out with me at the wrong time, im trying to get my car ready for the next DECA so when she asks whats new its always something ive done to my car or bought something for it as well.

anyway she still wants to see me so i guess im doing something right :P .

Careful man, unless she's really dependant on you already or really flattered with you, the "new modification" news when she asks "what's new" starts to wear thin fast. I hope you share some interests with her!

I get hit alot for the comments I make because I am pretty sexist, but it doesn't really matter, it's all in good fun. They forget all about that shit when you pull on their hair while doin em from behind.

Yeah well anyone can learn a thing or two when it's forced upon them, it doesn't mean it interests them though. And there's a fine line between patronising and talking outside of understanding...perhaps it just pays to know the person well enough to explain it in terms they would like to hear? I would say, just don't answer a question that isn't asked.

heck!

mine just admitted last night that she thinks that the GTR was a waste of money!!! too loud! spend too much time on it! etc...

all along I thought she shared my passion.....

quizzed her about her thoughts and she just said....'I never said I liked it...I just understand why you like them'....oh to know how they think..

I think maybe it had to do with the fact that at that time we were looking to buy a house.....but I came home with 3 cars instead.