SAU Community

R33gtr Gearbox Oil?

BIT SUS

can anyone remember off hand how many litres of oil needed to do front and rear diffs?

http://www.jaftan.com.au/skyline/oil/

I heard that shockproof may make LSDs a bit shuddery, which i guess would be like running a slightly tighter LSD???

Is R33 LSD at the front? If so make sure you use a compatible oil. If you not sure about anything give Redline a call.

• 3 years later...

Anyone know how much oil a R33 GTR gearbox takes?

I'm gonna go shopping for some Redline shockproof oil.

Is it worth doing the front transfer case too?

cheers.

Hi there,

So how much oil did you end up using? I'm looking at doing my box as well and I've read that they run anywhere from between 3.8 to 4.5L of oil (from various sources). I think right now I'm running between 3.8 and 4.0L plus a tube of Nulon additive.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi there,

So how much oil did you end up using? I'm looking at doing my box as well and I've read that they run anywhere from between 3.8 to 4.5L of oil (from various sources). I think right now I'm running between 3.8 and 4.0L plus a tube of Nulon additive.

Thanks,

Tom

as Piggaz said above it is 4.1L but if you get 4L in, your doing well. or just drop the rear end of the car down a bit when filling, from memory I think the filler hole is toward the front so that should help..

Ok fair enough, but god there are some different amounts on various forums hey? Claims range from 3.8L to 4.5 to 5.0L! There's another thread on here where he recommends exacted 1 US galon, ie 3.8L which is also what the Redline bottles come in.

I think I might be running just under 4.0L so I might top it up.

Ok fair enough, but god there are some different amounts on various forums hey? Claims range from 3.8L to 4.5 to 5.0L! There's another thread on here where he recommends exacted 1 US galon, ie 3.8L which is also what the Redline bottles come in.

I think I might be running just under 4.0L so I might top it up.

yeah last time I put Redline in ( not Shockproof ) cost me a fortune, they only had the 1 gallon bottles, had to buy 2 angry.gif

Thanks Moodles.

Still a bit concerned about the two main oil capacities stated for the R32/R33 GTR's. You guys on this thread swear by 4.1L amount but mates of mine and some other sources insist on the 3.8L ( approx 1 US gal. business etc)

Where did you guys get the 4.1L from if I may ask? Is it just what you've been using or is it written up somewhere?

Worst thing about it all is that every time I've taken my car to a mechanic in town (1 box rebuild and 1 box replacement) I've only drained about 2.5 - 2.8L out of it (which is the GTST amount...sad!)

Thanks Moodles.

Still a bit concerned about the two main oil capacities stated for the R32/R33 GTR's. You guys on this thread swear by 4.1L amount but mates of mine and some other sources insist on the 3.8L ( approx 1 US gal. business etc)

Where did you guys get the 4.1L from if I may ask? Is it just what you've been using or is it written up somewhere?

Worst thing about it all is that every time I've taken my car to a mechanic in town (1 box rebuild and 1 box replacement) I've only drained about 2.5 - 2.8L out of it (which is the GTST amount...sad!)

just found this in the "Lubrications thread",, also spoke to my gearbox guy who builds these daily, and 2.5L would deffinately cause you issues......

For fluids the manual recommends

Transfer case (page CH-59) - 1.8 litres of Nissanmatic fluid D [approx. 1.8 litres]

Manual transmission (page CH-23) - Nissan gear oil MP-G special GL-4 #75-90 [approx 4.1 lites]

Front final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid GL-5 85W-90 [approx. 1.0 litre]

Rear final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid LSD GL-5 80W-90 [approx. 1.5 litres]

I have no personal opion as to the products and quantities; but I thought I would provide reference to the manual to round out the discussion.

I've read Redline recommends not to use additives with their gear oils. It's not really a great idea either as I think the Nulon additive is PTFE (teflon) which shockproof already contains

I've got a gtst box, but would you recommend running that nulon g70 stuff with the redline shockproof?

Box seems to be in decent condition..

If the box is in decent condition, don"t run the Shockproof, thats a bandaid if you've got sluggish syncros etc, If it is in decent condition use a normal 75-90 ..

just found this in the "Lubrications thread",, also spoke to my gearbox guy who builds these daily, and 2.5L would deffinately cause you issues......

Transfer case (page CH-59) - 1.8 litres of Nissanmatic fluid D [approx. 1.8 litres]

Manual transmission (page CH-23) - Nissan gear oil MP-G special GL-4 #75-90 [approx 4.1 lites]

Front final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid GL-5 85W-90 [approx. 1.0 litre]

Rear final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid LSD GL-5 80W-90 [approx. 1.5 litres]

I have no personal opion as to the products and quantities; but I thought I would provide reference to the manual to round out the discussion.

Nice work ;)I'll have to have a look on the weekend

I've read Redline recommends not to use additives with their gear oils. It's not really a great idea either as I think the Nulon additive is PTFE (teflon) which shockproof already contains

Had a read, won't be putting any in! Cheers.

If the box is in decent condition, don"t run the Shockproof, thats a bandaid if you've got sluggish syncros etc, If it is in decent condition use a normal 75-90 ..

Too late, lol just did the oil change in it.

But fair few people are running the lightweight and seem to be fine, even with decent syncros..

Sorry for the off-topic!

Hey I've been trying to find the manual for this....so far I've only managed to get the engine manual and the normal glovebox manuals although that one is only for everything but the RB26! In what manual are the above details? I take it's a drivetrain manual of some sort?? Cheers man